Page 424 of 628 FirstFirst ... 324374414420421422423424425426427428434474524 ... LastLast
Results 4,231 to 4,240 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Can anyone tell what is going on here and why?

Attachment 6339
    It seems to be an entrance to a barge traffic tunnel. The photo does not support 2 way traffic.

My guess is location is in Europe - there is an extensive barge network for hauling freight.

Ants

This article has more details, and a more recent article suggests it will be ready for use in a couple more years:

https://www.wired.com/2017/04/norway...t-ship-tunnel/
    Last edited by BobJ; 03-18-2021 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AntsUiga View Post
    It seems to be an entrance to a barge traffic tunnel. The photo does not support 2 way traffic. My guess is location is in Europe - there is an extensive barge network for hauling freight. Ants
    Thanks, Ants and BobJ. No ordinary European barge tunnel this. But the first so called "ship tunnel" to be blasted out of a mountain in Norway (construction has not yet started.) It will save shipping having to round the Stadlandet Peninsula, the Cape Horn of Norway and its notorious rough seas.

Name:  tunnel4.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  48.3 KB

I cannot fathom the amount of blasting and tunneling this project will take. Good gravy!

Reminds of Helgoland, a small German island in the North Sea where we sailed the 1969 One Ton World Championships. During WWII, Helgoland had been hollowed out by the Germans with a warren of tunnels that accommodated thousands of soldiers and a fleet of U-boats (submarines)

The Brits got pissed at the proximity of this German redoubt and on April 18th, 1945 sent 1,000 bombers to blast Helgoland off the face of the earth with little effect.

Two years later the Brits packed the tunnels with explosives and created the largest non-nuclear explosion in history.

Name:  Helgoland2.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  44.3 KB

Again, the island didn't budge, and today Helgoland is a pleasant, if rather windy, resort where visitors enjoy duty free shopping and lie on sand beaches inside metallic wind barriers that reflect northern European sunlight onto white skin.

Name:  helgoland3.jpg
Views: 794
Size:  35.3 KB

Tip to the Norwegians: before beginning to blast a mile of rock underground for the ship tunnel, best to have a Plan B.
    Last edited by sleddog; 03-19-2021 at 12:14 PM.

Many readers are likely familiar with the Tres Marias Islands, 70 miles NW of Banderas Bay and Puerto Vallarta. As a Mexican penal colony, they were off limits to approach by passing yachts. As of this week, things are changing. Here's the scoop from the Darien newspaper.

Name:  tres marias.jpeg
Views: 746
Size:  89.7 KB

MEXICO CITY (AP) — Mexican officials said ferries and cruise ships may soon be visiting the former Isla Marias prison, after the last island penal colony in the Americas was closed and turned into an environmental education center in 2019.

The education camp hasn’t gone very well — only 40 youths have been trained on the island — and the administration of President Andrés Manuel López Obrador is now trying a different tack, because the island hasn't been offsetting the costs associated with keeping it open.

Officials said Saturday they are planning to build a dock for larger ships on the Isla Madre main island, the only one of the four Marias islands that is inhabited. Visitors will be able to tour the remote island jail, but not stay overnight. Tourism Secretary Miguel Torruco described future tours.

“The experience begins with the cruise ship or ferry arriving from Mazatalán or San Blas, to Isla Madre, and on the voyage the passengers can admire the beauty of the ocean," Torruco said. It would be quite a long ride; the four islands are located 70 miles (110 kilometers) off the Pacific coast of Nayarit state.

“Visitors will have their first contact with the former island prison which for 100 years sheltered numerous criminals,” Torruco said. Officials compared it to the now-closed U.S. prison at Alcatraz, and said tourist visits could start within three months.
    Read More

The penal colony, founded in 1905, passed through some periods of infamous brutality, and as recently as 2013, the Islas Marias held 8,000 inmates.

The hemisphere was once dotted with remote island jails like the one depicted in the movie “Papillon,” but they all gradually closed. When Panama closed its Isla Coiba penal colony in 2004, Isla Marias became the last one remaining in the Americas.

But far from the bloody reputation of places like Devil’s Island — the French Guiana penal colony shuttered in 1946 — toward the end, the Islas Marias harbored many lower-risk or well-behaved inmates and the colony was viewed as a step toward release or rehabilitation.

While the prison kept mass tourism at bay, the islands suffered severe environmental degradation from over a century of use as a penal colony.

Island penal colonies were used around the world starting in the 1700s as remote, escape-proof places to “rehabilitate” inmates through hard labor. Often known as “prisons without bars,” with the ocean serving as the most effective barrier to escape, the penal colonies were also known for being at least in part self-supporting and a way to settle remote islands.

But in the end, the Islas Marias wound up costing Mexico far more per prisoner than did mainland jails.

Chile closed its Santa Maria prison island in the late 1980s, Costa Rica’s Isla San Lucas penal colony closed in 1991 and Brazil’s Isla Grande in 1994. Peru dramatically ended its El Fronton island prison in 1986: Gunboats blew up most of the buildings to put down a riot, killing more than 100 inmates.
    Last edited by sleddog; 03-20-2021 at 02:28 PM.

There is no doubt there could be an interesting travel itinerary to visit closed prisons without walls (from Alcatraz to wherever your vessel will take you). However, all are in historical status and no active encounters would happen.

For a visit to an active institution, a trip to monasteries on a world wide basis, such as Mt Athos in Greece may be an alternative. Unfortunately, the monastic tradition at Mt Athos since their founding does not allow female visitors (sorry, Jacquie), with some historical reference of the land being consecrated to Mary, when she left the promised land and set foot on the Mt Athos peninsula.

Due to reports of scandalous behavior by the monks, female versions of sheep, goats, and other domestic mammals were also banned.

Other than a few eccentric protocols, visiting would surely be a delight.

Ants

Anatomy of a grounding

Name:  Suez 3.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  142.7 KB

What's wrong with this picture?

1) The economy of the World relies on the success of this front hoe driver. He's unlicensed, works for packs of cigarettes, and quits at 5. The owner of the ship has written an apology to the World.

2) The waterline was painted by the same company that attached the bulb on the bow crooked.

3) The ship can't back up, it's too long to clear the land astern

4) The captain on the bridge can't see what's happening, he's surrounded by containers and his cameras stopped working in the dust storm.

5) Helicopters may start unloading containers from the ship shortly, greatly increasing wealth of the Bedouin locals.

6) All of the above.

A good friend is captain of a near identical ship to the EVER GIVEN, 1,300 feet x 18,800 TEU. My friend wrote me this after near grounding in Suez Canal last year.

During this Suez Canal transit I was very close to grounding. Pilot was an old, tired man, helmsman not the brightest seaman on board, duty 2nd mate just the average one. He is Arab guy and they usually don't show too much activity except when it concerns food and rest.

So, I was just sending an email from the computer next to navigation table when I heard orders from pilot 'port ten' immediately followed by more excited voice 'port twenty'. I immediately realized something
    went wrong and moved next to helmsman and ME telegraph. We were running at ME rpm between dead slow and slow, just entering section turning some 20 degrees to port. Our draft was 15.6 m, nearly fully
    loaded.

I saw our bow approaching shallow water on the starboard side with rate of turn just 1 degree per minute to port. I informed pilot that helmsman will now follow my orders, moved telegraph to full ahead, ordered rudder full to port. After that we finally started turning faster to port as necessary but our stern was, at the same time, approaching pretty fast shallow water on the starboard side, we could feel the bank effect acting.

Next I ordered rudder full to starboard. As soon as the stern stopped approaching the shore I moved telegraph to 'slow ahead' in order not to speed up too much. With the ship loaded like EVER GIVEN you are asking for trouble in Suez in case the speed reaches some 12 knots. As soon as you move from the center of canal you feel the bow or stern, whichever is closer to shore, is sucked to
    the side.

Of course reducing of speed also reduces maneuverability. Our bow started to be sucked to port side shore no matter the rudder was all the time at hard starboard. Again moved telegraph to 'full
    ahead' and when bow started to move to starboard reduced to 'slow ahead' and rudder full to port. After that we stabilized our movement more or less in the middle of the canal, slowly turning to port as we
    needed.

Pilot told me half an hour before that incident that he is the senior Suez Canal pilot and that I can go to take a rest in my cabin ... Luckily I know those 'professionals' and don't leave the bridge during the whole SC transit. If I was not on the bridge in that situation I'm 100% sure we would run aground. Well, we managed to avoid the accident and saved at the same time some cigarettes as I didn't give the pilot anything. And believe or not, he was not even surprised :-).
    Last edited by sleddog; 03-26-2021 at 08:36 AM.

“The owner of the ship has written an apology to the World.“ great line, Skip. If he’s really really sorry then I’m willing to offer absolution. How about you?

Hi Jackie,
    The Japanese owner of EVERGREEN Marine, Shoei Kisen Kaishais, is Japanese and I assume a Buddhist. I doubt he'll give a whit about our absolutions, as it's not in their playbook. However, kharma is...

So what can we take away from this ship grounding that, if not resolved shortly, is going to bring the world economy to its knees? One opinion is petro-chemical products are going to be more scarce and costly. All those tankers are going to have to sail around Africa, adding nearly two weeks to a shipment. Prius and Tesla owners are going to be smiling.

More seriously, a close friend in WA state, a sailor, naturalist, writer, and editor of the Pathfinder wrote this "Reflection" last month. I find paying attention to what Evelyn observes is time well spent.

Reflection by Evelyn Adams

It’s bad enough when land is desecrated and a species put at risk of going extinct because of humans. It’s even worse when it’s done in the name of “green” energy.

Used to be, we were horrified by mountaintop removal for coal extraction or tar sands tailing ponds filled with toxic waste to keep the fossil-fueled train rolling. Now it’s open-pit mining to access the lithium needed for all the electric cars that will help get us to “net-zero” by 2050.

President Biden wants to “put the United States on a path to achieve net-zero emissions, economy-wide, by no later than 2050.” Sounds good and necessary in this desperate time, until you think about that “net-zero.”* To reach net-zero, any carbon we put into the air needs to be taken out again, either by natural means (e.g. regenerative ag, reforestation) or technological means (e.g. direct air carbon capture and storage). It’s a bit like saying we can have our carbon-cake and eat it too.

Only we can’t. The “solutions” available to us are largely unproven and can’t scale up enough in an impossibly short time to keep us below 1.5°C. We can’t stay on a path still hell-bent on growth and negate all of the energy that requires. Something has to give.

Should it be the Earth? Do we continue our wholesale assault on the planet, most recently documented by two new biodiversity crisis reports? (See “Climate Updates”)

Current extinction rates are about 100 to 1,000 times higher than normal, and increasing. One species teetering on the brink is Tiehm’s Buckwheat, a lovely desert flower that lives only on ten acres of public land in Nevada’s Thacker Pass. If a mining company gets its way, the plant will disappear forever.

Name:  Extinction1.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  76.7 KB

So? Why are some folks fighting to prevent the “clean energy” future the world needs, wonders a mining executive. “Climate change poses an immediate threat to all the species on Earth.” Shouldn’t we sacrifice a small flower to save many?

But ramping up clean-energy production doesn’t save life on earth, it saves our way of life on earth. Or we hope it will.

It’s not just one flower at risk in Thatcher Pass. Another mine proposed nearby threatens the Greater sage grouse, trout, pygmy rabbits, Pronghorn antelopes, burrowing owls, bighorn sheep, golden eagles, bats, bees, and more.

What is it we really need? More cars to zoom around in or functioning, flourishing ecosystems that support life in all of its amazing complexity?

Maybe we could draw down much of the emissions we generate if we scaled back our enormous appetites and lived within the limits of the Earth to provide for all of its beings. Radically reduce our consumption, and our population.

Biden’s impressive but top-heavy climate plan makes no mention of asking the American people to step up and scale down. Is it too much to suggest we come together over the common purpose of figuring out how to live more lightly on the planet? Instead we’re talking about tearing up the earth to keep the energy ball rolling. And counting on unproven methods to clean up our mess.

Shall we kill the earth then, to save the earth? Or, more particularly, to save our powered-up way of life?

Thousands of claims to mine lithium have been staked on federal lands in anticipation of the growing need for EV batteries. The rush was likely fueled when the Biden campaign told miners in October that he wanted to increase domestic lithium production.

Meanwhile, scientists and conservationists have sent an urgent request to the President to save the Tiehm’s Buckwheat. Says one, “The Biden administration can stop this species’ slide toward extinction if they act urgently to protect it.”

We shall see. A small plant isn’t all that’s at stake here.

*To learn more about the problem with net-zero, see this excellent article: https://www.climatechangenews.com/20...etting-busted/
    Last edited by sleddog; 03-26-2021 at 07:17 AM.

CBC is known for its sometimes unorthodox expeditions. This would be the story of one.

It would be hard to overstate the springtime beauty of the Merced River canyon leading to Yosemite at this time of year. I'd left CBC early, before dawn, with my kayak and bike stowed aboard, and drove towards the Sierra for a little paddling adventure.

The lush green mountain slopes were exploding with large swaths of poppies, while closer to the Merced River the pink redbud trees were also blooming just inland from the river rapids.

Name:  Merced 4.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  227.8 KB

Once in Yosemite Valley I drove to Cathedral Beach, about a mile up valley from Bridalveil Fall. With no one around, I left my bike locked to a tree and drove 4 miles on South Side Drive to historical Stoneman Bridge (1933), my intended launch put-in.

Name:  Merced5.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  103.2 KB

Merced River water temp was barely above freezing from snowmelt up high (this was Wednesday, 3/24/21) but it was shorts and T-shirt weather on the Valley floor.. It felt good to be launching a boat with zero moving parts except for its human, especially with spectacular Yosemite views on all points of the compass: Half Dome behind, Royal Arches and Washington Column to starboard, Sentinel Dome to port, and El Cap and Cathedral Spires on the bow.

Mostly, the current wasn't very fast except at occasional narrows and bends. Just as well, I hadn't brought a spray skirt, wet suit, or camera dry bag. However, a short ways downstream was Sentinel Footbridge. As I approached I could see the channel was narrowed by a fallen tree under the bridge. In fact, there was only a narrow passage on river left, about 8 feet wide. And in the middle was a protruding rock with 1 foot standing waves on both sides.

This did give momentary pause. But fortunately my sit-inside kayak is stable and indestructible polyethelene. Just as well, as I bounced off the rock with a thud that I'm sure entertained the spectators peering downward overhead on the footbridge.

After that encounter, there were no other obstacles, traffic, or spectators, except for many merganzers and mallards, and one coyote hoofing along the bank.

After about an hour of paddling and coasting, I approached a grand view of El Capitan ("the Captain") on the bow. Navigation had been relatively easy, though there were places the bottom of the kayak scraped over shingle pebbles. An SUP's 6" skeg would have been more problematical.

Name:  Merced2.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  110.0 KB

But now a challenge appeared ahead: There was a large tree, 70 feet long and 6' in diameter, blocking the river from bank to bank, with no way over, under, or around. Hmmmm.

Taking a page from the recent Suez Canal grounding, I nosed into the river bank, and got one leg out of the kayak cockpit to hold position while reconnoitering how to ascend the 8 foot vertical riverbank of soft, black, dirt. Nothing for it but to dig in my fingers and claw up.

The short ascent was successful, and I pulled the kayak up behind. Then portaged through 50 yards of forest to a relaunch site on a narrow beach below. All good!

That was pretty much it. 200 yards further on I hauled out on Cathedral Beach, walked across some unmelted snow, exchanged my locked bike against the tree for the kayak, and peddled back to retrieve the car.

Name:  Merced6.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  160.6 KB

I was home to CBC by dark, enough scenery, exercise, and occasional challenges to satisfy any modest yachting adventure.
    Last edited by sleddog; 03-26-2021 at 08:56 PM.

John Wayne's character uttered the famous phrase "she's coming in on one wing and prayer in the 1943 movie The Flying Tigers.

It's going to take more than a wing and a prayer to get the EVER GIVEN unstuck in the Suez Canal.

Name:  Suez4.jpg
Views: 597
Size:  98.0 KB

When the head of the famed Dutch salvage firm Smit Salvage says, "you're not going to pull that ship off any time soon," you can take that to the bank. Unloading and lightening ship seems an option. But the ship is so top heavy that offloading fuel will likely cause the ship to capsize. And beginning to offload a portion of 20,000 containers could take months.

A wing and a prayer seems optimistic. However, what may have contributed to the grounding is the fact the two Suez Canal pilots in charge aboard EVER GIVEN when it grounded were reportedly under a table on the bridge on rugs praying in the direction of Mecca. As well, the wind was being clocked aboard at 27 knots, that's Force 6, a strong breeze.

Houston, we have a problem.
    Last edited by sleddog; 03-27-2021 at 11:45 AM.