Page 452 of 628 FirstFirst ... 352402442448449450451452453454455456462502552 ... LastLast
Results 4,511 to 4,520 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

https://youtu.be/lm0zdQSjTt4 Skip, not sure if I missed the conversation about Improbable in the forum. Bruce mentions you…Seems like a fascinating boat….Comments?…..Thank…Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Lightspeed View Post
    https://youtu.be/lm0zdQSjTt4 Skip, not sure if I missed the conversation about Improbable in the forum. Bruce mentions you…Seems like a fascinating boat….Comments?…..Thank…Rick
    I've known Bruce since he was a kid, playing his guitar at restaurants in Santa Cruz. As skipper of IMPROBABLE, 1971-1975, a few years back Bruce asked how I felt about him upgrading IMPROBABLE to his requirements, now that he owned her. There were no downsides, and I knew Bruce would do a good job. Just look at what he did for RUMBLESEAT. I gave Bruce my heartfelt blessing, which he mentions in the video.

IMPROBABLE, for unanticipated reasons, came in well over Gary Mull's designed displacement. One of the things Bruce is doing is removing that extra poundage..

As often as not, our bay is deserted on early morning kayak paddles. Except when it's not, and an inattentive powerboat skipper passes close by, leaving a 2-3 foot breaking wake. I always pivot into such a wake and take it bow on with no forward speed. Rarely do I get wet.

Curiously, in the last week, we have had two noticeable earthquakes in the Monterey Bay Submarine Canyon, about 9 miles from the main dock at CBC.

Name:  kayak11.jpg
Views: 711
Size:  373.7 KB
    photo courtesy of Rainer Stegemann
    Name:  kayak12.jpg
Views: 735
Size:  2.76 MB
    photo courtesy of Neile Rissmiller
    Last edited by sleddog; 09-30-2021 at 12:07 PM.

Though I've had raccoons in WILDFLOWER's cabin, black birds nesting in the boom, a praying mantis stowaway, and a sea otter board and sit next to me, according to the Anacortes, WA Police Blotter there was recently a new first: visiting sailors from a boat moored at Cap Sante Marina called 911 and asked for assistance with a porcupine occupying their cockpit, and in no hurry to leave.

An animal control officer arrived with an portable kennel & the "perp" was soon evicted and relocated.

Then there was the homeless person sleeping aboard MOKU in the small craft storage yard. In his spare time, he took every bit of spare line, and wove a spider's web in MOKU's cabin.

Each to his own.
    Last edited by sleddog; 09-30-2021 at 12:55 PM.

Always sad to see an older IOR leaddog come to an end: in this case the 1980's Bruce Farr One Tonner, the 40 foot BODACIOUS. For unexplained reasons, yesterday afternoon, she was run aground, one person aboard, near Pleasure Point in Santa Cruz after having left her mooring off the Santa Cruz Wharf.

Name:  Bodacious2.jpg
Views: 4163
Size:  14.0 KB

Capt. Monty, on Vessel Assist, pulled for 12 hours last night, trying to keep BODACIOUS from riding further up the rocks. Finally, at first light this morning, BODACIOUS was pulled free and towed into Santa Cruz Harbor to be hauled. I'd call BODACIOUS a total loss, at least for insurance. Repairs would be expensive, and this IOR design is way out of date. The keel is bent, with parts of the trailing edge missing, interior bulkheads and floors are reportedly loose, the rudder is smashed, as is the bow pulpit...

Name:  Bodacious3.jpg
Views: 4435
Size:  107.9 KB

On the other side of the boatyard were 2 small cruisers, one a North Sea 27, and one a ? The unidentified green hull on the left was by far the prettier and faster looking of the two, at least from ground level.

Name:  bodacious4.jpg
Views: 663
Size:  91.6 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 10-01-2021 at 01:24 PM.

Though difficult to make out, for a view inside Cat.4 Hurricane Sam, 120 knots, watch this brief SallDrone video under "hurricane rig."
    https://www.nbcnews.com/science/envi...winds-rcna2497

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    On the other side of the boatyard were 2 small cruisers, one a North Sea 27, and one a ? The unidentified green hull on the left was by far the prettier and faster looking of the two, at least from ground level.
    That looks like a Pacific Seacraft 25. A better boat (IMO) that is similar in appearance is the Victoria 26, which is Chuck Paine's Morris Frances with an extended cabin. We had an original flush-decked Frances on F dock for awhile. It was one of those boats you could just stand and stare at (and I did more than once).

After John and Bobbi upgraded to a One Design 48, Bodacious was on the hard at the Alameda Marina for a long time. She appeared to be in good shape. I didn't know she'd found her way to Santa Cruz.

http://www.pressure-drop.us/forums/s...1324-Bodacious
    Last edited by BobJ; 10-01-2021 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    That looks like a Pacific Seacraft 25.
    You are correct, Bob.
    DarkHorse, is a PS25, she was owned by a friend; I was aboard her for a lighted boat parade a few years ago.
    The Sea is my Church; the Boat is my Pew.

"The Sea is my Church; the Boat is my Pew."

ME TOO!

However I prefer the word TEMPLE over ChURCH

However I prefer the word TEMPLE over ChURCH
    Great choice of word!

I guess I was trying to be understandable to the mid westerners . . .