Page 379 of 628 FirstFirst ... 279329369375376377378379380381382383389429479 ... LastLast
Results 3,781 to 3,790 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Meanwhile, da dum, Matson's just launched replacement ship for the KAUAI has a little problem...the mate saw daylight in the tunnel coming in from outside. The hull is cracked. Whoops. A little Bondo should fix that right up. Not.

Attachment 5401
    Big ship's do break in half on occasion. And even keep floating. One of the classic and best sea stories ever written is the tale woven by author and conservationist Farley Mowat about the ocean going salvage tug FOUNDATION JOSEPHINE, her irrepressible and courageous crew, and the chase to hook a tow line to the broken in half Liberty ship LEICESTER in 1948. The name of the book is Serpent's Coil

Name:  josephine1th.jpg
Views: 836
Size:  3.8 KB

FOUNDATION JOSEPHINE does find LEICESTER (no radar in those days). But then not one, but two
    Atlantic hurricanes intercede. And what happens then, oh boy! Let's just say you would not expect to find an ocean going tug blown ashore into the middle of a Bermuda golf course. And how they got her out of that fix to resume the hunt is just part of this salty tale.

Farley Mowat has been recalled by his publisher as “a small, feisty, kilt-wearing character” who “wore his kilt dangerously.” “He always enjoyed the odd drink or two or three,”

In 1985, Mowat was barred from entering the U.S. on book tour for Sea of Slaughter. U.S. Immigration officials ruled MOWAT was "prejudicial to the national interest" of whaling.

In honor of his anti-whaling outspokeness, the Sea Shepards named one of their ships RV FARLEY MOWAT.

This song by Stan Rodgers is not about the FOUNDATION JOSEPHINE and the heroism of her crew..but the spirit of this mighty little salvage tug that could is there for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQpf0aCj-64
    Last edited by sleddog; 05-12-2020 at 07:13 AM.

Farley Mowat wrote a book called "Never Cry Wolf".
    I found it a well written and entertaining story about him embedding with wolves to study their behavior.
    In it, he has a good discussion about dog naps, which could be valuable information for shorthanded sailors.
    Last edited by Intermission; 05-11-2020 at 09:26 PM.
    The Sea is my Church; the Boat is my Pew.

I enjoyed Farley's "Grey Seas Under"
    Tales of FOUNDATION FRANKLIN. A coal burning salvage tug out of Nova Scotia.

And we think we've done some stuff!

What remarkable husband/wife team has 6 total Singlehanded Transpacs to their credit, with three overall wins and the current woman's solo record (52 days) across the Pacific?

I just got a note from the above persons at their home near Port Townsend. Seems there was an intruder on their deck at night, not wearing Covid protection...

"Well, this isn't one of those "I saw this on the Internet" video things, this was a real live bear that came to our house Saturday night at about 10:45, walked along the deck and looked inside while we were in the
    house watching TV. He did it while the lights were on the deck and he could hear the television since we were in the living room adjacent to the kitchen. As a point of reference, I used the height of the door
    knob on the sliding door to see how tall he was at the shoulders, that's 43" high and as you saw, he was able to look over the light at the side of the door so on his hind legs, he's taller than the door so about 7'
    or so. That fella ain't no lightweight! He destroyed a few bird feeders. I was able to repair two and we tossed two. One has teeth marks in it. We are normally very vigilant about making sure the feeders are in but we forgot them that night and the rest is history. But we have also known that there was one around. However this is the first time any of us have videoed the dude. He has visited our neighbors and encouraged them to replace their bird feeders with new ones so we shouldn't be surprised. There has been clear cutting behind our house so he may have been displaced. It isn't his fault there is a loss of their habitat. On the plus side, he looks healthy, he didn't sneeze and I don't think he had a fever!"
    Last edited by sleddog; 05-12-2020 at 08:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    What remarkable husband/wife team has 5 total Singlehanded Transpacs to their credit, with two overall wins?

I just got a note from the above persons at their home near Port Townsend. Seems there was an intruder on their deck at night, not wearing Covid protection...

"Well, this isn't one of those "I saw this on the Internet" video things, this was a real live bear that came to our house Saturday night at about 10:45, walked along the deck and looked inside while we were in the
    house watching TV. He did it while the lights were on the deck and he could hear the television since we were in the living room adjacent to the kitchen. As a point of reference, I used the height of the door
    knob on the sliding door to see how tall he was at the shoulders, that's 43" high and as you saw, he was able to look over the light at the side of the door so on his hind legs, he's taller than the door so about 7'
    or so. That fella ain't no lightweight! He destroyed a few bird feeders. I was able to repair two and we tossed two. One has teethmarks in it. We are normally very vigilant about making sure the feeders are in but we forgot them that night and the rest is history. But was have also known that there was one around, however this is the first time any of us have videoedthe dude. He has visited our neighbors and encouraged them to replace their bird feeders with new ones so we shouldn't be surprised. There has been clear cutting behind our house so he may have been displaced. It isn't his fault there is a loss of their habitat. On the plus side, he looks healthy, he didn't sneeze and I don't think he had a fever!"
    Linda and Dan Newland, of course!!

Quote Originally Posted by AntsUiga View Post
    Linda and Dan Newland, of course!!
    Thanks, Ants. I just spoke with Linda Newland, and she corrected my recollection. Dan has won 3 SHTP's, not 2. So they have 6 total crossings, including her still standing woman's solo record from SF to Japan of 52 days in 1981. Pretty remarkable.
    Last edited by sleddog; 05-12-2020 at 09:18 AM.

Great reads!
    I came across "Grey Seas Under" during a particularly
    dreadful delivery in the early 90's from SF to Gig Harbor - in February. We limped in to Grays Harbor after a night I hope to never repeat at sea and I fittingly finished the book there.
    Sled, if Wes Anderson directs the film then perhaps it should open with Stan Rogers singing "The Wreck of The Athens Queen" while wreckers or "bankers" run down to pillage the vessel.
    "The Boat Who Wouldn't Float" is another favorite.
    Last edited by everydaysailor; 05-12-2020 at 01:26 PM.

In unanticipated conditions at least 5 kite surfers drowned recently off the coast of Schevenigen, the Netherlands. All were experienced watermen, instructors, lifeguards.

How could this happen? It appears from interviews and video that strong winds, large and roilsome waves, and strong current created a sticky and spongy foam "avalanche" at least several feet thick that blinded and suffocated the surfers when they fell in the tricky conditions and could not restart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUCS1rrj0pc
    Last edited by sleddog; 05-14-2020 at 09:35 PM.

I poured everything I had into chasing that dream, working and saving and pulling together resources to entirely self-finance a race that is more typically funded through corporate sponsorships
    I feel for the guy but many do this race on a shoestring..... some sell their boat in Hawaii. Very, very, very few are ever supported through corporate sponsorship and to say it's "typical" is a straight up fib. Some do get marine equipment sponsors to provide gear or discounts but but it's a very rare thing to actually got cash sponsorship, it just doesn't happen. I'm not entirely against Gofundme for something important like saving a life but to pay for you to play, I can't stand it.

Quote Originally Posted by solosailor View Post
    I feel for the guy but many do this race on a shoestring..... some sell their boat in Hawaii. Very, very, very few are ever supported through corporate sponsorship and to say it's "typical" is a straight up fib. Some do get marine equipment sponsors to provide gear or discounts but but it's a very rare thing to actually got cash sponsorship, it just doesn't happen. I'm not entirely against Gofundme for something important like saving a life but to pay for you to play, I can't stand it.
    Regarding Post #3775 on May 8, 2020

Hi Greg,
    I wonder if you and Ian are talking about the same race, the 2019 Los Angeles to Honolulu Transpac in which he competed with NADELOS.

I can understand Ian's impression he was up against corporate sponsored boats and/or crews. Which he was. A casual perusal of the 2019 Transpac crew list counts at least 45 out of 73 entries had professionals aboard (Cat.3). That's 62%, almost 2/3rds. https://yachtscoring.com/emenu.cfm?eid=4758

I would also guess at least 50% of the entries had some corporate connection to the owners' business, which has been the usual state of affairs since the first Honolulu Race in 1906. For all I know NADELOs is one of those.

I don't mean to throw cold water, but when an enthusiastic potential Transpac skipper approaches, the first question I ask is "how ya gonna get your boat home?" The answer or non-answer shows both the seriousness and thoughtfulness of the effort.

I'm ecstatic Ian and crew won their class on their first ocean crossing. And concerned he might lose his boat/home.
    Last edited by sleddog; 05-14-2020 at 03:45 PM.