Page 531 of 628 FirstFirst ... 31431481521527528529530531532533534535541581 ... LastLast
Results 5,301 to 5,310 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    For something completely different on a rainy day, can anyone bring down MUSHY BISCUIT, world's largest foam airplane? Don't bet on it.
    https://youtu.be/nKXQbJU70yw
    love the ratchet strapped wings - who needs a banding tool?

The last 110 racing of the season ended Saturday much like it began last March: plenty of breeze (15, gusting 22), excitement, boat handling and tactical drills with 9 boats on the line. A yellow one, a red one, a green one, a white one, 2 pink ones, a grey one, and 2 blue ones.

At the start of the second race both Bren and Eric on LADYBUG and ourselves on SMART SHOES were a few seconds early at the pin end, LADYBUG on starboard and 3 feet to leeward and bow to bow with SMART SHOES. Bren had come from astern, and called for us to come up, which is his right. Or is it? When we sheeted in to stay clear, our boat went went sideways and we gently rubbed rails.....

Name:  Pink1.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  146.1 KB

Thanks to all who made this a successful sailing season at IYC, especially RC Chair Skip Shapiro and head committee captain Phil Macafee and team. Marks and square start lines, rescue boats, online info, and bar and food don't just magically appear at a 100% volunteer club! But they did without fail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQj4GV2BO5g
    Last edited by sleddog; 11-14-2022 at 07:26 AM.

You don't state whether SMART SHOES was also on starboard. If so, your comment that LADYBUG was three feet to leeward and had come from astern made me think of this:

"17. ON THE SAME TACK; PROPER COURSE If a boat clear astern becomes overlapped within two of her hull lengths to leeward of a boat on the same tack, she shall not sail above her proper course while they remain on the same tack and overlapped within that distance, unless in doing so she promptly sails astern of the other boat. This rule does not apply if the overlap begins while the windward boat is required by rule 13 to keep clear."

Mr. Hedgehog and I raced Surprise! in the first Berkeley Midwinter race yesterday. With the light breeze, Wylie Wabbits finished 1-2-3 in our double-handed division. We were next on corrected time.

Surprise! weighs 12,400#. A Wabbit weighs 975#. This differential did not deter wun Wabbit from taking us up hard after rounding the windward mark. I was on the foredeck hoisting the spinnaker and had a good view of this Wabbit sitting nearly 90 degrees to our bow and just a few feet in front of it. Fortunately Mr. Hedgehog saw him in time and also came up, but what was this Wabbit thinking? We would have crushed it. He probably had rights but what about avoiding collisions (Rule 14)?
    Last edited by BobJ; 11-14-2022 at 12:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    You don't state whether SMART SHOES was also on starboard. If so, your comment that LADYBUG was three feet to leeward and had come from astern made me think of this:

"17. ON THE SAME TACK; PROPER COURSE [COLOR=#333333][FONT=&]If a boat clear astern becomes overlapped within two of her hull lengths to leeward of a boat on the same tack, she shall not sail above her proper course while they remain on the same tack and overlapped within that distance, unless in doing so she promptly sails astern of the other boat. This rule does not apply if the overlap begins while the windward boat is required by rule 13 to keep clear."

Both Bren (LADYBUG) and ourselves were on starboard tack and overlapped at the leeward (pin) end of the start line, Bren having come from clear astern to establish his overlap to leeward. There is no proper course before the start. We were the windward boat and had to keep clear. However, Rule 15 says the right-of-way boat has to initially give the burdened boat opportunity to keep clear.

Had I luffed SMART SHOES to keep clear, our stern would have rotated and hit LADYBUG. The only way to get ourselves clear was to attempt to pick up speed by trimming the sails and sailing directly ahead, which we did. Unfortunately, SS's keel was partially stalled and had not achieved it's "bite." And as we accelerated, we made leeway, cozying up to LADYBUG's weather side beam.

Had there been a protest, my defense would have been we were in an impossible situation and unable to keep clear of the nearby leeward boat. 50/50 chance that would have flown in the Room, which was why we did an exoneration circle. (jibe, then tack, circling in the same direction.) Fortunately there was no protest, as our exoneration circle was not done "promptly" as the rules require. "Promptly" means "immediately" once clear of other boats.

Ironically, in match racing, where judges are close by, fouls are immediately either green flagged or red flagged. But "promptly" is not required and you can carry a foul or fouls all the way around the course as long as you "do your circle" before the finish line.

At times this season it did seem as if LADY BUG and SMART SHOES were match racing: covering, ducking, and using tricks of the trade to get bow out. Bren got us at one memorable finish when we were one length from the finish and momentarily broached out of control allowing LADY BUG to get her bow across first. Another time SMART SHOES came from astern and passed between LADY BUG and another boat to win by inches.

All in a day at the Inverness Race Track.

Last edited by sleddog; 11-16-2022 at 07:32 AM.

My original purpose coming to West Marin a year ago was not to sail 110's, but rather in search of the masterful mariner, Francis Drake. I found Drake, or at least think so, at his encampment along the shore of Drakes Bay where he and crew were careening the leaking GOLDEN HIND, trading with the Miwok, and resupplying for his onward voyage west around the World in 1579.

There are clues in this maritime mystery. One is a small map possibly painted by Drake himself that exists on a larger map painted by his friend and cartographer, Jodocus Hondius. Another are two shards of Ming pottery we found locally, one in a gopher hole near a midden and stream. And another pottery shard in the dredged fill of the Inverness Yacht Club boatyard directly under our 110's rudder. Serendipity?

Name:  Drake Ming (2).jpg
Views: 534
Size:  130.0 KB

But the Big Kahuna is a found piece of lead sheathing with square, bronze nails possibly shed from the GOLDEN HIND during her careening to clean the bottom and fix the leaks.

Name:  Drakelead.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  3.79 MB

I am not an lettered archeologist or academician, and only an amateur maritime historian. But would be greatly indebted if any reader with science connections could suggest a source for age dating this metal artifact. Please feel free to call eight3one475zerotwo7eight.
    Last edited by sleddog; 11-15-2022 at 09:33 AM.

Drake was having problems with teredos (ship worms) compromising GOLDEN HIND's rudder. But nothing like this, where a pod of orcas swam away with the rudder, sinking the boat. https://www.whiskeyriff.com/2022/11/...t-of-portugal/

It took a team of 60 to design this America's 40 foot prototype. Sir Thomas Lipton is likely rolling over in his grave and my eyes hurt trying to tell which tack the thing is on.
    Name:  ACUP.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  44.2 KB

For something more harmonious to lessen your incipient headache, here is a painting of Lipton's J-Boat SHAMROCK V.
    Name:  Shamrock5.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  8.4 KB

I saw the video of the Prada design team- that is a lot of folks ! At first, I thought the boat was a weird multihull. That would be a great paint job for a 110! Gorgeous painting of Shamrock- many thanks !

Just for kicks I googled "Prada". You can buy a handbag (a HANDBAG) for $4,400, or a Prada bomber jacket for $15,000.

Heck, I could buy some sails for that kind of money!

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Just for kicks I googled "Prada". You can buy a handbag (a HANDBAG) for $4,400, or a Prada bomber jacket for $15,000.

Heck, I could buy some sails for that kind of money!
    BobJ, if you buy a few of those bomber jackets I think Prada might be able to afford a new jib for the pictured abomination. Do your part!