Page 394 of 628 FirstFirst ... 294344384390391392393394395396397398404444494 ... LastLast
Results 3,931 to 3,940 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

After recent Hurricane Laura, a new appreciation for the enthusiasm of the Italian Beaufort Scale.

Name:  Italian_Beaufort_Scale.png
Views: 835
Size:  160.6 KB

(A kilometer/hour of wind is ~ 2x a knot.)
    Last edited by sleddog; 09-01-2020 at 12:18 PM.

I've actually been in touch with the builder of the Reverso. About $12k landed in the SF Bay Area. Really neat bit of kit. I have the contact info. of a guy locally who bought one so hopefully will get to see it live soon.

Hey Skip....next project for the yard?

http://butlerprojects.com/boats/pacific/index.htm

Name:  boat_5.jpg
Views: 770
Size:  49.3 KB
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

While walking F-Dock at Santa Cruz Harbor yesterday, I was invited aboard Coast Guard 45 footer #310.

Name:  CoastGuard45.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  579.5 KB

A most impressive boat and after 20 minutes aboard, I concluded the right tool for the job. The 45-footer is all-aluminum , has wire-less crew communication system, and is powered by twin diesel engines and water jet propulsion. It is self-righting, and usually carries a crew of 3-4, including a full time engineer to oversee the engines and complex equipment.

Among other things I learned is the 45 can range out to 140 miles offshore. Cruises at 30, but can achieve 45 knots, and has waterproof bulkheads and compartments fore and aft.

The only things I could question were the toy manual compass and boat hook, out of keeping with the ruggedness of the rest of the ship.

Thanks to Ensign Greenough for the invitation and allowing me to poke around this interesting "boat" as it is called.
    Last edited by sleddog; 09-06-2020 at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    ... this interesting "boat" as it is called.
    Wow. Now that is what I call a "zoom zoom boat". Do they go faster than the drug runners' boats, d'you think? I'll bet they have bigger "bam bam" guns. Glad they're on our side.

I've written about this eye candy before, often called the "prettiest boat in the world."

Name:  Yucca.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  101.6 KB

Said one well known yachtsman in 1935, "the minute I saw her, I fell in love with her. I thought her the most beautiful boat I had ever seen. I loved her shape, her sheer, her dainty transom, and her long straight counter...."

Uffa Fox was more to the point and described her lines "as clean as a smelt's"

Said yacht designer Dick Carter, "The only question is do you hear the violins play when you look at that boat?"

This Campari green lovely led directly to a fleet of 11 racing on an inland body of water named "Jakes Lake."

For a ride on my new WILDFLOWER with a post voyage Dark and Stormy:

What is this class and where in the world is or was Jakes Lake?
    Last edited by sleddog; 09-07-2020 at 09:26 PM.

"Holy Overhangs, Batman!" The drop-dead gorgeous boat in the photo is the Six Meter SAGA, designed and built by Bjarne Aas. SAGA became the basis for the IOD (International One Design) class. Corny Shields was involved.

My guess is that "Jake's Lake" refers to San Francisco Bay. For many years, Frank "Jake" Wosser's RUTSAN was a highly successful boat in the SF Bay IOD fleet, and 11 sounds like the right number of boats in the fleet.
    Last edited by BobJ; 09-08-2020 at 01:07 AM.

For 130,000 euros, Saga could be yours. That is, unless sleddog best you to the purchase and renamed the boat Wildflower.

Ants

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    "Holy Overhangs, Batman!" The drop-dead gorgeous boat in the photo is the Six Meter SAGA, designed and built by Bjarne Aas. SAGA became the basis for the IOD (International One Design) class. Corny Shields was involved.

My guess is that "Jake's Lake" refers to San Francisco Bay. For many years, Frank "Jake" Wosser's RUTSAN was a highly successful boat in the SF Bay IOD fleet, and 11 sounds like the right number of boats in the fleet.
    Name:  Bullseye.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  10.2 KB

That is a beautiful boat. Where is a photo of the new Wildflower? I’m coming down and I’d love a ride. Pleeeeaze?