Page 493 of 628 FirstFirst ... 393443483489490491492493494495496497503543593 ... LastLast
Results 4,921 to 4,930 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

New Boat for Sled??? Maybe a road trip is in your future. Seems like this boat needs to find its way to the IYC

https://sailinganarchy.com/advert/in...er-lake-racer/

Down from $2k on the 110 website......

Sled and Milly are a bit distracted from 110s this weekend. Along with several other members including Bren Meyer, they're representing Inverness Yacht Club in the Lipton Cup races. I'm hoping for a report in these very pages.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Sled and Milly are a bit distracted from 110s this weekend. Along with several other members including Bren Meyer, they're representing Inverness Yacht Club in the Lipton Cup races. I'm hoping for a report in these very pages.
    Distracted would be an understatement. But Philpott is here covering the 3 day Lipton Cup for Bay and Delta. The first day's finish of the race from St.FYC to Corinthian YC ended poorly for us as the finish line was in the notorious doldrums off the CYC. In a few short minutes, as the wind dropped to calm and variable, we went from the leader group to 5th. The RC had said they would establish the finish line further out in Raccoon Straits where the 10-15 knot westerly wind was steady. But tradition dies hard and that did not happen. Tough way to end a hard fought race with 50 yards of crapshoot drifting at the end.

Otherwise, RYC is atop the leaderboard, just a single point ahead of SFYC. Today's last race takes us from CYC on a Bay tour back to St.FYC. Kim D. and I have bet pink slips for our J-22's on today's race, something neither of us particularly want..4 crew on a J-22 is unwieldy at best. J-Boats forgot to provide any place to attach the spinnaker pole when not in use. And you are not allowed to hook the pole to the shrouds. We tried towing ours astern with the topping lift, but that was no bueno as it porpoised like a frisky sea lion.
    Last edited by sleddog; 06-20-2022 at 06:11 AM.

Back to Alaska. Looks like the fun has evaporated from the RAK. The Riptide 44 that took the outside is so far ahead it isn't fun(nie). Next year a Santa Cruz 70 sailing the outside route? Back to a cup of Lipton.

The R2AK is still interesting to me.
    The leader can still hit a dead head in the dark.
    The race for 2nd is close; one went outside and one went in. One is a 33' mono hull, the other a 34'.
    They are currently about six miles apart with 55-60+ miles to go to the check point.
    Anything can happen.
    Last edited by Intermission; 06-19-2022 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Intermission View Post
    The R2AK is still interesting to me.
    The leader can still hit a dead head in the dark.
    The race for 2nd is close; one went outside and one went in. One is a 33' mono hull, the other a 34'.
    They are currently about six miles apart with 55-60+ miles to go to the check point.
    Anything can happen.
    For sure. This race is the best. It is still the Wild West. Just this one video is worth the money (what money!? It's free to watch from here where it's dry and warm!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuaJmvHqFjo

Does anybody recognize that yellow hull?

Name:  Lipton Photo.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  585.4 KB Sleddog hanging with Sir Thomas Lipton at CYC

Congrats to Richmond Yacht Club winning the combined 3 days of racing for the 2022 Sir Thomas Lipton Cup in convincing fashion over 9 other competitive SF Bay Area yacht clubs!

Melinda Erkelens, Bart Hackworth, and Kim Desenberg were RYC's skippers. Claire Arbor, Rob Dubuc, Mike Scott, Simon Winer, Mike Quinn, and Christine Dubuc crewed the StFYC owned and chartered J-22's.

The last race yesterday from CYC back to St.Francis was for all the marbles, with SFYC only 1 point back from RYC. Conditions were nearly ideal, 8-20 knots of westerly with flood tide. My old sailing buddy Kim Desenberg from RYC and our crew from Inverness YC dueled in close quarters for the entire race, exchanging leads, along with St.Francis YC who took a flyer into Richardson Bay and came out with a big starboard tack lift along the Sausalito and Yellow Bluffs shorelines that launched them into an insurmountable lead crossing the Golden Gate towards Crissy and downwind to the finish.

Just when I thought we had Kim tucked away to leeward, a strange apparition appeared on the bow, straight out of the R2AK meets Seymour Narrows. At first I thought the 50 yard wide stranding breaking wave with whirlpools and wave towers was a submarine or whale surfacing. I 'd never seen anything like it, especially as the water was otherwise smooth with a strong flood tide. Should I sail through the weirdness or tack or bear off letting Kim get away? No way. Onward we went into the maelstrom, only to find due to the turbulence the rudder wouldn't grip the aerated water, causing momentary loss of steerage. That was enough to let RYC round Crissy just ahead, set their spinnaker and sail to Lipton Cup victory. Nice

Equally impressive was sharing the St.FYC waterfront with over 50 juniors sailing Optis in their annual Heavy Weather regatta. These kids are good! Boat handling was crisp and decisive, especially entering the narrow St. Francis marina channel in conjunction with the returning J-22's where we all shared minimal space short tacking upwind in a channel width of sometimes less than two boat lengths. I saw not one collision and right away was never assumed over prudence. Good going Optis!

PS: What was the strange current action 1/2 mile east of the GG center span? It was most likely tide related. Even though the depths in the area are 150 or more feet, there is a 50 foot rock spire in the area. It looked like an upwelling and there were porpoise playing on it's fringe. Anybody's guess, and surprised no wing sailors were taking advantage of this wave mogul.
    Last edited by sleddog; 06-20-2022 at 02:17 PM.

Kim Desenberg invited me to join him and his wife, Anna, to watch the Lipton Cup.

Name:  IMG_2138.JPG
Views: 647
Size:  391.1 KB

We launched an RYC RIB at 9 am and got over to the Corinthian in time for the Skipper’s meeting, which included all sorts of permutations having to do with referees on the water and hand signals. “If we don’t see it, it didn’t happen.” Whaaa?

Name:  IMG_2149.JPG
Views: 665
Size:  389.0 KB

Then we were off.

About an hour into the day, gauging the food options, I asked my hosts what they had for dinner the night before at the Corinthian Yacht Club. Kim and Anna looked at each other: “Gin tonics,” they replied.

Kim told me that we were the “press” boat, but that was just a ruse. No matter where I asked him to steer (“if we went over that way I could photograph the boats against the gate”, and “if we steered that way I could photograph the boats against the City Front”), we never went over that way for long.

Name:  IMG_2218.JPG
Views: 611
Size:  232.9 KB

Why? Because Kim is a racer through and through. He tried to steer over that way, I could tell. But he just didn’t have it in him. Instead, we would follow the leaders. If the pin was the preferred start, we went toward the pin, never far behind the boat most likely to win. He couldn’t help himself. Sun in our faces and in the camera lens? Well, it was in the sailors’ faces, too. That’s where we went.

He and Anna kept up a running commentary: “Luffing! Luffing!” and “Well done!” and “What happened there?! Trim it!”
    Both serious racers, my hosts kept parking the boat and remained intensely focused on the racing. They forgot all about the photographer bouncing around in the bow of the RIB. Kim would briefly remember me. “Where would you like us to go?” he asked once in awhile. I would tell him, but inevitably we would end up where he could watch the RYC team more clearly. This made sense only because I knew that he would be on the Sunday team, along with Bart, Simon and Mike, for the final race. Trying to “kill it” against Skip aboard the Inverness boat.

Then we went back to the Corinthian and there was Skip himself, clowning around with Sir Thomas Lipton.

Name:  IMG_2360.JPG
Views: 646
Size:  294.0 KB
    Last edited by Philpott; 06-20-2022 at 02:30 PM.

Lipton, known as "Tommy" to his friends, is a 5 time America's Cup loser aboard his SHAMROCK's 1-5. He's a member of the America's Cup Hall of Fame. But never mind, we were both called out for attempting to wear our hats into the St. Fancy. When I pointed out other guests were doing the same, we were told "it is OK for women to do so." Thank goodness they didn't make me check my terrorist belt, the same one that got me pulled out of line at Boston's Logan airport and strip searched. When asked why, the uniformed TSA agent replied "your belt looks like a dynamite fuse."
    Last edited by sleddog; 06-20-2022 at 02:54 PM.