Page 562 of 628 FirstFirst ... 62462512552558559560561562563564565566572612 ... LastLast
Results 5,611 to 5,620 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    What a difference a day makes. Drifting conditions and shirt sleeves at RYC yesterday:
    Indeed, one day after BobJ drifting in shirt sleeves at RYC, it was gale warnings at CBC, where launching my kayak would have been almost as foolhardy as good friend and 110/Mercury skipper towing his Mercury sloop upwind from LA, over the Grapevine, onto the I-5 and into "steady 35 knots" home to RYC. I half jokingly said that sounded foolhardy, but he "wanted to get home" despite steady apparent wind of 85-95 mph and aggressive tumbleweeds His secret: get behind and into the slipstream of 18 wheeler trucks, the only problem being big rigs being blown out of their lanes, and my friend had to follow or be "dropped" by the pelaton.

This morning, Wed., at CBC the breeze had laid down overnight and the temp was 43 at 7 a.m. No longer were the low clouds scudding SE, being replaced by post-FROPA popcorn cumulus. Seemed like a good morning to paddle, although paddling a small kayak outside the Harbor Entrance was a non-starter due to 20-25 knots from the west, and breaking swells in the Entrance, even at high tide.

Inside the Harbor the wind was increasing NW, 10-15, making paddling a windward/leeward. Seemed a good time to pursue the "Inland Passage" for the windward legs, which is entering the 20' gap between the shoreline riprap and the docks. The tide was low enough I did not have to duck to clear the gangways, the water glassy, and air temp warm enough to paddle in one fleece.

Downwind, paddling south, the wind was at my back and I stayed in the main channel. Not a soul in sight for the 1.5 hour, 2 laps, 4 mile paddle... Spotted several boats I have known for years: One, the S&S 34' MOLLY B, owned and built by Derek Baylis in 1973 and a near sister to SPIRIT, is on Q dock and now owned by dear friends Tim and Heather. Derek Baylis, an excellent sailor and seaman, was the inventor of 2 speed winches for Barient, as well as chief engineer and designer of the Monterey Bay Aquarium exhibits.

Name:  sc harbor.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  124.2 KB

A photo of the "Inside Passage" follows the perimeter of Santa Cruz Harbor. It's .5 miles from the lighthouse to the Murray Street bridge and another .5 to the head of the Upper Harbor, beyond the Bridge.

Name:  Santa Cruz Harbor Entrance3.png
Views: 419
Size:  682.9 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by sleddog; 02-22-2023 at 10:08 PM.

WOW that dredge has some work cut out for it ! I had no idea that the upper harbor at SC was that big.
    We have had an interesting evening of weather out here in Inverness- drizzle snow, hail, and lightening- no thunder. It is a wee bit chilly. They say that we will have power back tomorrow. I am getting used to the lo voltage life, but 115v would be helpful for making a living- just saying. Of course we found that the power lines were down on a remote part of our neighbor's land. TBD

Snow on the beach at CBC this morning...photos by Ann Contos

Name:  SnowonBeach1.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  223.4 KB

Name:  SnowonBeach2.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  266.4 KB

Name:  snow on beach3.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  48.2 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 02-26-2023 at 08:52 PM.

Just had a thunder/lightning/hail cell over us- now just very hard rain. It is very nice to have electricity on our road again !!!

At the club, a 38 knot gust at 8 pm and currently 32.8 degrees with the wind chill. I'm planning to race both Saturday and Sunday - I hope it warms a bit.

Happy Birthday, Sleddog!! We're delighted that you continue to keenly watch the world.

C&V&B

Happy belated birthday indeed. You're an example of vitality and what is possible!

Allen Steck, legendary Yosemite climbing pioneer has passed at age 97. Steck led an illustrious career, establishing first ascents around the world. He began climbing in Yosemite in 1947 and went on to participate in the first major American mountaineering expedition to the Himalaya, on Makalu, in 1954. Steck and his team of 6 made the first and only ascent of Mount Logan's Hummingbird Ridge in 1965. Today, 58 years later the ascent of Hummingbird Ridge remains unrepeated and is considered one of the most challenging climbs in mountaineering history.

Good friend and Santa Cruz master rigger Matthew Coale's father was with Steck on Hummingbird Ridge. Even if you are not a climber or mountaineer, I highly recommend Allen Steck's short account (6 minute read) of that historic climb on Canada's highest mountain. And how it was named Hummingbird Ridge.

https://www.patagonia.com/stories/fi...ory-33364.html
    Last edited by sleddog; 02-26-2023 at 07:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Good friend and Santa Cruz master rigger Matthew Coale's father was with Steck on Hummingbird Ridge.
    Small world! I believe the Coales (Frank was the father) were neighbors and churchmates of my family in Ladera. And a family friend of my wife Rebecca Alzofon was Jim Wilson, who was on the Hummingbird Ridge climb also.
    Max
    Last edited by Critter; 02-26-2023 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Euphony

Transpac documentary films, both professional and amateur, have been made for many dozens of years. "Steady as She Goes" shows the giant schooner, 161' GOODWILL's 1959 attempt at breaking 98' MORNING STAR's record of 9 days, 15 hours, a 9.6 knot average. What broke instead aboard GOODWILL almost sunk her, a 2,500 pound broken topmast..https://classicsailboats.org/steady-...oner-goodwill/

Disney made a documentary, "Morning Light," in 2007 about 15 young sailors vying for 11 positions aboard a no expense spared, professionally coached, Transpac-52 endeavor to break our 1967 record of youngest winning crew on our family Cal-40, HOLIDAY TOO. A "Survivor" clone, "Morning Light" begins inauspiciously when an inner-city applicant nearly drowns in the Long Beach YC pool during treading water trials...Apparently being able to swim was not on the Disney application requirement. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xliuVqWKq5w

I'm happy to report Margie Woods film of the 2016 Singlehanded Transpac is something special in comparison to the macho "Steady As She Goes" and the astronomically expensive, but short lived "Morning Light." Inspired by her father, Margie takes us on her solo passage aboard HAUNANI to Hanalei Bay in a different sort of way. There's no glossing over the challenges, depression, and joys of her preparation, sailing, and arrival in Margie's film "Journey Back to Myself." A must watch for anyone interested in singlehanding across an ocean. https://vimeo.com/223038995/e3c40a83f9
    Last edited by sleddog; 02-27-2023 at 12:34 PM.