Page 566 of 628 FirstFirst ... 66466516556562563564565566567568569570576616 ... LastLast
Results 5,651 to 5,660 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Currently the tug GENE DUNLOP is a hauled at Dakota Shipyard in Anacortes, WA. Just looking at the underbody and the size of her propellers is impressive.
    That’s a helluva stairway! Not something you’ll see in most boatyards.

In the stern shot, I noticed the fairly large nitrogen gas cylinder. Many years ago, I had a quite nice steel motorsailer as a dock neighbor. The motorsailer had large hollow steel rub-rails and I learned that they were nitrogen gas filled to inhibit rust. Maybe the DUNLOP has nitrogen filled rudders?

It’s been years since reading everything by Farley Mowat I could get my hands on. Maybe it’s time to revisit.

Name:  IMG_2217.JPG
Views: 492
Size:  2.76 MB
    A few years ago at the helm of the 5000HP twin azimuthing drives tractor tug DELTA DEANNA.
    Last edited by Dazzler; 03-26-2023 at 09:35 AM.
    Tom P.

DELTA DEANNA? Here she is:

Name:  Delta Deanna 4.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  18.7 KB

Built in 1999, by Marco Shipbuilding of Seattle, Washington as the DELTA DEANNA for Bay and Delta Marine Services Incorporated of San Francisco, California.

In 2009, the DD was chartered by the Signet Maritime Corporation of Houston, Texas. Where she was renamed as SIGNET ENTERPRISE.

On August 26th, 2017 due to winds and currents caused by the passage of Hurricane Harvey, while attempting to hold an oil rig in position, the tug collided with a nearby oil rig and partially sank near Port Aransas, Texas. She was eventually raised, and salvaged.

In 2019, the tug was acquired by the Coos Bay Towboat Company of Coos Bay, Oregon. Where she was renamed CYGNET. That tug gets around!

Name:  Delta Deanna3.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  65.5 KB

Oh Yes Tom- I am sure that you have read " Grey seas under" and the " Serpent's Coil "- both utterly unforegettable books ! Hope you have read " The Boat Who Wouldn't Float" as well ! His writing is very special !

Quote Originally Posted by MillyB View Post
    Oh Yes Tom- I am sure that you have read " Grey seas under" and the " Serpent's Coil "- both utterly unforegettable books ! Hope you have read " The Boat Who Wouldn't Float" as well ! His writing is very special !
    A bit of internet search will reveal that Canadian author Farley Mowat (1921-2014) was an outspoken environmentalists in addition to being quite a prolific writer. He was probably best known for his book made-into-a-movie “Never Cry Wolf.”

Sue and I are both readers and suckers for a good bookstore. In the Fall of 2019, we were in Toronto and had learned that there was an unusual bookstore with a singular focus: nautical books. We had vague directions where to find the store and were wandering the waterfront without success when we happened upon the headquarters of the Toronto Marine Police. We found our way in and, not surprisingly, they were able to provide precise directions to Toronto’s (and maybe North America’s) most unique bookstore: The Nautical Mind https://www.nauticalmind.com/ We had a truly delightful visit with the store owners, and left with a few additional pounds for our luggage.
    Last edited by Dazzler; 03-26-2023 at 11:22 PM.
    Tom P.

Can anyone tell us what is going on here? Where and/or when?

Name:  Stonehenge on Acid.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  830.9 KB

Just an aside, an Aurora Borealis was sighted Saturday over California. Below, Aurora Borealis from onboard a flight from LAX to Phoenix.

Name:  Aurora.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  35.4 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 03-27-2023 at 06:54 AM.

The rock sculpture is pointing at Polaris. SDK

Name:  Stonehenge on Acid.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  830.9 KB

Just an aside, an Aurora Borealis was sighted Saturday over California. Below, Aurora Borealis from onboard a flight from LAX to Phoenix.

Name:  Aurora.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  35.4 KB
    If there was any doubt of the competitiveness of the 110 Fleet, this should remove any doubts. This location helps to align the skippers senses to all aspects of the cosmos. But, it helps to be in Northern Iceland to get the full benefit. The skipper becomes invincible.

Ants

Here's the "where." No info about the "when."

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/...arhofn-iceland

August 2015, near Raufarhöfn, Iceland
    The Arctic Henge, a work in progress.

Name:  2015 Arctic Henge Iceland.jpeg
Views: 408
Size:  570.9 KB
    Last edited by Dazzler; 03-27-2023 at 06:49 PM.
    Tom P.

Wow! The DAZZLERS have been to the Arctic Henge in Northern Iceland. Who would have thunk. The photo of the Aurora at the Arctic Henge was taken a few months ago by an unknown person. The camera person is looking due south, and the North Star (Polaris) is straight up..Many well known stars and constellations are visible. Cool
    Last edited by sleddog; 03-27-2023 at 08:48 PM.