Page 396 of 628 FirstFirst ... 296346386392393394395396397398399400406446496 ... LastLast
Results 3,951 to 3,960 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Yes, Stillwater is a lovely spot. One must be prepared to navigate and anchor in kelp. Apparently a buddy boat to DURA MATER from SSS Forum (ENCORE!, Cheryl and Brad) wrapped their prop in Stillwater and couldn't get kelp wad off, slowing their recent southbound passage. Maybe we'll receive a report here...
    Last edited by sleddog; 09-19-2020 at 03:55 PM.

For Marianne's Macapuno icecream with blackberry topping, 2 history questions, both of which must be answered correctly to win the prize: what famous wreck, the length of the TITANIC, lies just seaward of Schmieder bank? And where in San Francisco Bay area is the monumental homeport for this ill-fated ship?
    Dirigible USS Macon, built in Sunnyvale.
    https://montereybay.noaa.gov/maritim...n/welcome.html

RIP RBG Respect.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Yes, Stillwater is a lovely spot. One must be prepared to navigate and anchor in kelp. Apparently a buddy boat to DURA MATER from SSS Forum wrapped their prop in Stillwater and couldn't get kelp wad off, slowing their recent southbound passage. Maybe we'll receive a report here...
    When I was a kid, there was a Mercury fleet that raced out of Stillwater Cove. The boats were stored on trailer on the pier, or during weekends when we raced both saturday and sunday, a yellow polyester line was strung across the harbor, with loops and buoys to moor on. I crewed for a family friend, Colonel Ollie Wood, who was the nicest guy in the world off the boat, and transformed into a shouting, demanding curmudgeon when afloat. Me, in 8th and 9th grade, learned to just sort of ignore all the noise and do the best I could at the time, with whatever it was. That fleet continued on into the mid 80's at least and possibly beyond.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    Dirigible USS Macon, built in Sunnyvale.
    https://montereybay.noaa.gov/maritim...n/welcome.html
    The behemoth USS MACON, a LTA (Lighter Than Air) rigid dirigible was built in Ohio in 1933 and designed as a flying aircraft carrier, capable of carrying 5 Sparrowhawk scout planes inside its cavernous belly.

Name:  Macon2.jpg
Views: 820
Size:  92.7 KB

MACON and her sister the AKRON, had a design flaw in the attachment of their tail fins to the hull. On Feb.12, 1935, in a squall, MACON's 2,700 pound upper tail fin ripped off and she ultimately went down about 3 miles off Pt. Sur. 2 of 83 crew were lost.

MACON, initially homeported in the giant hanger at Moffett Field in Sunnyvale, was lost to history until 1979 when a fisherman out of Moss Landing accidentally hauled up a piece of aluminum honeycomb from the dirigible's structure.

Eventually, MACON's debris fields off Pt. Sur were located, mapped, and photographed by ROV underwater submarines at a depth of 1,500 feet. The exact location, though secret to discourage treasure seekers, is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Here's MACON flying over the Moffett Field hanger. The size of the hanger, visible from Highway 101, is so immense that it has its own inside weather.

Name:  Macon1.png
Views: 653
Size:  77.5 KB

Congrats to PJ for winning the Macapuno Icecream with blackberries. PJ, if you have a chance to visit CBC before setting off RTW, please know you are always welcome.
    Last edited by sleddog; 09-19-2020 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    When I was a kid, there was a Mercury fleet that raced out of Stillwater Cove. The boats were stored on trailer on the pier, or during weekends when we raced both saturday and sunday, a yellow polyester line was strung across the harbor, with loops and buoys to moor on.. That fleet continued on into the mid 80's at least and possibly beyond.
    Last time I looked, as recent as last year, Mercurys still raced out of Monterey and Stillwater. And the class had some real heavy weight competition. The Mercury is ideally suited to those localities, as the aft rake of the keel and keel hung rudder means kelp doesn't hang up and they can race through kelp with impunity. No other boat, big or small, one design or custom, can do that. Long live the Mercury!

Quote Originally Posted by AntsUiga View Post
    Is Stillwater Cove viable as a an anchoring option? I have fond memories from back in the 80's. Ants
    As I recall, the kelp by the Fall can be very challenging to navigate through and especially to get an anchor to set. Some years ago we dove in Stillwater Cove, anchoring near Pescadero Rocks. We went there after an aborted dive (because of big swells and very strong current) out at the The Pinnacles in Carmel Bay. It was an interesting dive with visibility at the most 8-12 feet. I remember doing a square dive pattern and being proud of finding the boat again without surfacing.
    Tom P.

Quiz question: Why is the Sausalito YC's committee boat named "Mercury?" I'll buy myself a half gallon of ice cream and answer it. Because the early members mostly sailed Mercurys built at the Nunes Brothers shop in Sausalito. You could buy the plans, you could buy a kit, or you could buy a completed boat. The Nunes even rented space at their shop where amateurs could build the boat with some help from the pros. A little later Myron Spaulding designed and built a larger version call a "Clipper." I keep my boat at Clipper Yacht Harbor, adjacent to Myron's old shop. There's a Clipper on a pedestal at the entrance to Clipper YH and from a distance you can't tell the difference in profile between the two boats - although there are some differences.

Another note: The Nunes were also responsible for the Bears. Again, you could buy the plans, a kit, or a completed boat. All the keels were cast at Nunes and legend has it the the mould was used as a shop doorstop until it disappeared at some time. As with the Mercurys you could rent space at their shop to work on the boat. And launch it at their docks at the foot of South Street.

Quote Originally Posted by Wylieguy View Post
    There's a Clipper on a pedestal at the entrance to Clipper YH.

I always wondered what the story was with the sailboat on the pedestal at the entrance to Clipper YH. Thanks for sharing that, Pat!

- Todd

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    RIP RBG Respect.
    Name:  Surfer3.jpg
Views: 1140
Size:  24.9 KB
    Name:  Surfer2.jpg
Views: 1196
Size:  173.8 KB