Page 353 of 628 FirstFirst ... 253303343349350351352353354355356357363403453 ... LastLast
Results 3,521 to 3,530 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Name:  D'arcy.jpg
Views: 1464
Size:  10.4 KB

There's no way around it. D'arcy Whiting was a piece of work. During WWII, the New Zealand Navy wouldn't have him, so he enlisted in the Army and fought Rommel in the desert sands of North Africa.

D'arcy's glass was always half full. There was nothing more he enjoyed than a good laugh. I first met D'arce in Sydney, Australia, before the start of the 1973 Sydney to Hobart. He'd just delivered his 47 foot TEQUILA across the Tasman, cabin filled with cases of beer bunk-top high in anticipation of the annual Australian beer union workers Christmas Holiday's strike

Name:  Darcy2.jpg
Views: 1580
Size:  149.8 KB

The Sydney Customs knew D'arcy firsthand and were waiting. When TEQUILA came to dock at the Cruising Yacht Club of Australia, Darcy shifted his Martec into reverse. But nothing happened, and the momentum of all that beer caused TEQUILA to mount and splinter the dock like some Antarctic icebreaker. The dozen Customs standing on the dock stepped aside, and no sooner had TEQUILA slid backwards and was secured in her slip than D'arcy invited all the men in white aboard for a little piss-up.

It seemed the Whiting family's TEQUILA and IMPROBABLE were similar in speed and we much enjoyed racing against each other in local regattas. As memorable as the racing were D'arcy's practical jokes...one of the best I witnessed first hand. Mansion House Bay on Kawau Island, 40 miles north of Auckland, was wall to wall boats on Christmas Eve when D'arcy and Mollie sailed TEQUILA into the crowded anchorage at cocktail hour. D'arcy prided himself on boat handling and crews from dozens of Kiwi boats were watching in anticipation of D'arcy possibly mucking up.

With wife Mollie on the foredeck ready to let the anchor run, D'arcy luffed his big blue sloop into a narrow slot at the head of the Bay. "Let the anchor run, Mollie," echoed cliff to cliff.

And then something happened no one expected except Mollie, who knew D'arcy's plan. The anchor splashed downward off TEQUILA's bow and into the water. Where it floated...."D'arcy, the anchor's not sinking, it's floating!," cried Mollie for all to hear.

This got everyone's attention! At the helm, D'arcy called back to Mollie at the bow, "What do you mean the anchor's floating?"

"I mean what I said, the anchor's floating!," replied Mollie.

Some years later I was able to witness D'arcy's wood carving skills that had produced the famous floating anchor of Mansion House Bay. D'arcy, Mollie, and family were cruising TEQUILA north from Fiji to Alaska and down the West Coast of North America.

They stopped at Midway Atoll, this time with more immediate propeller problems. One blade of the Martec had fallen off. There is no yacht equipment delivery service to Midway. But this did not deter D'arcy, who over a couple of days carved a most exquisite wooden propeller from a fallen branch of an ironwood tree. TEQUILA's new propeller was pitched exactly right and was used for the rest of their voyage without incident...

No wonder Rommel lost at El Alamein.

A close call yesterday for Cal Maritime Academy in Vallejo as fire leapt I-80 and burned to the edge of campus. With the school evacuated, had the fire got to the nearby dock, their school ship GOLDEN BEAR could have had serious issues.

Yesterday's "Santana" winds here on the north shore of Monterey Bay were mainly in the 10, gusting 20 knot range. Not as strong as north of San Francisco. Nevertheless, we have been without power since Saturday as PG&E takes "precautions." Strange, their website continues to maintain our area is not impacted..Gayles Bakery up the road cannot be happy, and the fire station is running its generator.

Capitola Boat Club and Maritime Museum has an assortment of solar panels, 12 volt batteries, and inverters, so we've made a lashup to continue powering low requirement electronics.

But Trader Joes frozen chicken pot pies in the freezer may not be frozen any more.

Good sailing friends Joe and Nancy have spent considerable time and effort researching interesting patents and inventions and then artfully designing a line of clothing called PatentWear.

Here's Nat Herreshoff's 1877 patent design for a catamaran.

Name:  Herreshoff cat.jpg
Views: 2654
Size:  71.1 KB

Would you believe the spinnaker was once patented by Alfred Luders?

Name:  Spinnaker.jpg
Views: 1359
Size:  65.7 KB

The shirt I am wearing features a patent by the esteemed Italian inventor and bicycle racer Tullio Campagnola. Campagnolo had many inventions, all based on ingenuity and simplicity. His first patent was for an innovative quick release system for the bicycle wheel, while his second patent was for a rod-controlled front derailleur system. But the Campagnola's patent design on my shirt is not bicycle related, nor does it have anything to do with a patent for geared sailboat winches.

A bottle of wine to the first to identify Tuillo Campagnolo's 1967 patent design on my shirt. This item is likely found in the galley of many SSS yachts like TORTUGA, SEA WISDOM, DURA MATER, KYNTANNA, MOUTON NOIR, GALAXSEA. and CLOUD. BEETLE may have one also. Rob has everything else.
    Last edited by sleddog; 10-28-2019 at 01:54 PM.

the Self Centering Wine opener was patented by Campagnola in 1966
    CampyCork.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    the Self Centering Wine opener was patented by Campagnola in 1966
    CampyCork.pdf
    Name:  Corkscrew2.jpg
Views: 1089
Size:  45.2 KB

Name:  Corkscrew.jpg
Views: 1884
Size:  4.0 KB

So David, how do you currently open a bottle of wine on HEDGEHOG?
    Last edited by sleddog; 10-28-2019 at 05:19 PM.

Our friend from San Francisco Bay has won 4 Olympic medals, 2 Gold, in two distinct sports in 4 Olympics over 20 years. As well, this individual has successfully defended the America's Cup. I doubt there is anyone with such a record, male or female, nor such longevity.

For a bowl of Marianne's Macapuno with pomegranate seed topping, who is this noted Bay Area personage, what were the Olympic sports, and what winning America's Cup yacht?
    Last edited by sleddog; 11-11-2019 at 05:21 PM.

Paul Cayard.

Before I do any digging, Will Baylis? If so, sailing and windsurfing, and a New Zealand AC boat - not sure which.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Before I do any digging, Will Baylis? If so, sailing and windsurfing, and a New Zealand AC boat - not sure which.
    Sorry, Steve. Paul Cayard has not won an Olympic medal, nor sailed in an America's Cup finals as defender.

Sorry, BobJ. Will Baylis has an Olympic Silver medal in the Soling in 1988. But that's all. No America's Cup. Note: Windsurfing and sailing are not "2 distinct sports." Windsurfing is part of the sailing discipline.

MMMmmm, boy these pomegranate seeds are good. Thanks Marsha and Ants, and congrats on your Monterey Half Marathon finishes.

Let's make it up as we go: if you've guessed incorrectly once at a trivia answer and no one guesses correctly in the next 24 hours since my original posting, then go ahead and guess again. The original post was at 4:06 pm today, Monday, 11/11/19.
    Last edited by sleddog; 11-11-2019 at 07:51 PM.

Cayard was a good guess. None of these are as the defender?

2013 Artemis Racing, CEO, San Francisco
    2007 Desafio Espanol, Technical Advisor, Valencia
    2000 AmericaOne Skipper, Auckland
    1995 Stars and Stripes Helmsman San Diego
    1992 Il Moro di Venezia Skipper/Manager San Diego
    1987 USA Tactician Perth, Australia
    1983 Defender – Sail trimmer Newport, RI

And with all his Star championships, an Olympic medal would have been no surprise - but it looks like the closest was a 5th at Athens in 2004.

Otherwise I guess it comes down to parsing out your wording.
    Last edited by BobJ; 11-11-2019 at 08:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Otherwise I guess it comes down to parsing out your wording.
    4 Olympic medals total over 20 years, 2 of which are gold.
    The 4 medals were won in two distinct sports, not two different sailing classes of one sport like say Laser and Finn. Two distinct sports: for example fencing and weightlifting.

This person was onboard an America's Cup defender that won the America's Cup. Not just in the AC trials or Louis Vuitton Cup.
    Last edited by sleddog; 11-11-2019 at 09:17 PM.