Page 347 of 628 FirstFirst ... 247297337343344345346347348349350351357397447 ... LastLast
Results 3,461 to 3,470 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Does the bear have a name?

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Spruit View Post
    Back from 6 days at Tuolumne Meadows and the High Sierra, the only Ursus americanus seen were red ones, marking where bears have been hit by cars. The ranger at Campfire said 14 hit so far this year, and that a small juvenile/cub had been killed that morning just down the road.

Name:  Tuolumne Mdws 2.jpg
Views: 702
Size:  7.5 KB

The new government issued metal bear storage lockers, Version 3 at 3'x4'x2', seem to be secure for food stuffs. So secure, some campers forget to close the box and its two handed lock, while in camp. Evidently "Purple 49", his ear tag name, had been "active" in the campground, and rangers were alerting all in the area to be cautious with supplies, even lip balm.

Name:  Tuolumne Mdws 3.jpg
Views: 874
Size:  171.9 KB

According to a ranger, problem bears are no longer trapped and relocated in Yosemite NP. He did not say what other options are available, except making people aware, and to follow the 45 mph speed limit through the wilderness.

Back in the day when hiking cross country in Yosemite we used to carry a sling shot to "sting" stalking bears and were encouraged to hang back packs from tree branches. That usually solved problems.

But bears figured out how to retrieve hanging packs. And camp fires and banging pans had little effect.

Now days those venturing overnight into the back country are required to carry expensive bear proof food canisters with screw top lids and locks that require a screwdriver or coin. My bet is bears, in their quest for your honey roasted macadamia nuts, will figure that out too... Left hand threaded bear canisters may be in the future?

Name:  tuolumne mdws 4.png
Views: 965
Size:  9.5 KB

This popular canister is now less so, as bears can see what is inside.
    Last edited by sleddog; 09-16-2019 at 09:23 AM.

Ants: Florence Lake? ... Lake Edison? I'm going to share that photo with the Wooden Boat people.

================================================== ====

Skip, my wife has one of those bear cannisters. I carry the Garcia cannister.

30 years of backpacking and never had a bear problem. We don't use the cannisters except in wilderness areas that require it. Usually I counterbalance the stuff sacks from a tree limb, which takes time, but those cannisters are pretty heavy. My Garcia is a tich over two pounds. There are carbon-fiber ones with aluminum ends, as well, but cha-chinggggg... $265 each, to save a pound of weight.
    Last edited by AlanH; 09-16-2019 at 12:56 PM.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post

================================================== ====
    30 years of backpacking and never had a bear problem. We don't use the cannisters except in wilderness areas that require it. Usually I counterbalance the stuff sacks from a tree limb, which takes time, but those cannisters are pretty heavy. My Garcia is a tich over two pounds. There are carbon-fiber ones with aluminum ends, as well, but cha-chinggggg... $265 each, to save a pound of weight.
    I could write a book on black bear encounters in the Sierra.

1) Above treeline, and without a branch in sight to hang my trusty Kelty, I climbed into my sleeping bag and put my head on the backpack as a pillow. Sure enough, an indeterminate time later in the darkness under the stars I felt the backpack being dragged from under my head.

Heart racing, I grabbed the pack with one hand and a small stone with the other hand from a pile I had pre-assembled. There was a brief tug of war which I won, as the bear figured out there was likely more acquiescent campers somewhere else.

2) On our way to climb the classic 5.7 Snake Dike on Half Dome, I left the same Kelty hanging by parachute cord 10 feet out and 10 feet below a 3" diameter branch 20 feet off the ground. On return from our all day adventure of climbing the otherwise blank wall of the SW face of Half Dome, the pack was where I left it, still hanging and unharmed except for open zippers and a pile of shredded food packaging and fewmets on the ground below. How'd they do that? https://www.climbing.com/places/snake-dike-iii-5-7-r/

3. During an expedition to climb Mt Clark, we camped on the only level place in the vicinity. There was an old, dead pine nearby. All afternoon a bear circled, never going far despite entreaties to leave us alone. Finally the bruin disappeared and after walking for water in a nearby creek, I noticed the tree was not only hollow, but there was something large and furry inside. Needless to say, we upped camp and moved well away from the bear den!
    Last edited by sleddog; 09-16-2019 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Spruit View Post
    The bear was probably given some name by the Muir Trail Ranch folks that operate the ferry on Lake Florence as well as the resort at the upstream end of the lake. The name may have come out in further conversation, but the ferry operator and store keeper were two duties assigned to one person. It was time for ferry to leave.

Ants

PS. The bear boxes by Sierra National Forest are not mice boxes.
    Last edited by AntsUiga; 09-16-2019 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Useful information.

This is a challenging, 3 part, quiz with the prize of Marianne's Macapuno icecream over organic peaches and a gift bag of ripe, home grown tomatoes at CBC to the first person to answer all 3 correctly.

1. The 1,033' foot, 3,000 passenger, cruise ship CELEBRITY SOLSTICE, anchored .75 miles off Philpott's front door and blocking her view west has a unique upper deck featuring what?
    a. a 1/2 acre of freshly mown live grass.
    b. an electric go-cart obstacle course.
    c. a helicopter landing pad for passenger aerial tours of nearby coastlines, valleys, and islands.
    d. a drone launch and star viewing area with reclining seating and big screen.

2. While walking the beach in the soft, orange glow this morning 1/2 hour before sunrise, I could still see several bright stars, including Sirius. The time period was:
    a. Astronomical Twilight
    b. Nautical Twilight
    c. Civil Twilight
    d. Nibulous Twilight

3. During my dawn beach walk I could also see a medium sized vessel anchored 1/2 mile offshore in Soquel Cove. The lighting was unfamiliar: two red lights, side by side. on top of a mainmast, an all-around white light on top of a shorter foremast on the raised foredeck, and a red light on the starboard forward topside.

This vessel is:
    a. A popular, new, glass bottom, boutique floating restaurant, bar, and SUP rental anchored just offshore.
    b. The Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Vessel RACHEL CARSON.
    c. A 225' military vessel armed with 2 x 50 caliber heavy machine guns and a large yellow, heavy lift crane.
    d. The tall ship MATTHEW TURNER on her maiden shakedown cruise.

Ready, Set, Go.
    Last edited by sleddog; 09-19-2019 at 08:56 AM.

Tough One, but I'll take a shot
    1 - C
    2 - B
    3 - B

Hi David,
    Good guesses, all. However none of you answers are correct.
    I don't want the Macapuno to melt or be consumed in advance...step right up and give this quiz your best shot. S/C Hedgehog has already eliminated 3 answers out of 12 possible.
    I should mention CELEBRITY SOLSTICE was anchored off Monterey Wharf until she had to quickly steam 22 miles offshore to pump overboard 90,000 gallons of poop...cruise lines feed their guests well.
    Last edited by sleddog; 09-19-2019 at 11:45 AM.

The cruise ship seems like the last place I would be found, WAGuesses are aplenty in Bodish.
    1. A ( lawn bowling is edging outbpickleball.
    2. C ( a civil engineer thinks he knows civil twilight)
    3. D

Ants

Hi Ants,
    Well, you got 2 out of 3 right....but no "winner, winner, chicken dinner" for you.
    I'll give everyone a hint, and maybe Marsha can win the quiz for your upcoming visit.
    Ants got #1 and #2 questions right. The upper deck of the CELEBRITY SOLSTICE is real mown grass, presumably for picnics, putting practice, and lawn bowling.
    And Civil Twilight is correct, when the sun is less than 6 degrees below the horizon and only the brightest stars can be seen.
    OK, someone, name all three correct answers. Ants has helped by giving you #1 and #2.
    Last edited by sleddog; 09-19-2019 at 11:46 AM.