Page 446 of 627 FirstFirst ... 346396436442443444445446447448449450456496546 ... LastLast
Results 4,451 to 4,460 of 6270

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Default Rat poison follies

Skip:

If you are not yet aware of them, this group is strong and may be of help with the rat poison problem.
    https://www.raptorsarethesolution.org/

They were contacted when a whole group of Great horn Owl chicks died locally at the Sweet Springs Reserve and their research traced the deaths to some rat poison boxes like those in your pictures which were put out in a local trailer park. RATS was able to bring pressure to bear and the placement of the boxes has been supposedly curtailed.

You might not be surprised to hear the opinions of my better half (who worked for years at a raptor rehab facility in Indio, CA) about the terrible damage these "better living through chemistry" solutions do to the entire food chain...

Quote Originally Posted by MAGICdreamer View Post
    Skip:

If you are not yet aware of them, this group is strong and may be of help with the rat poison problem.
    https://www.raptorsarethesolution.org/
    They were contacted when a whole group of Great horn Owl chicks died locally at the Sweet Springs Reserve and their research traced the deaths to some rat poison boxes like those in your pictures which were put out in a local trailer park. RATS was able to bring pressure to bear and the placement of the boxes has been supposedly curtailed.
    You might not be surprised to hear the opinions of my better half (who worked for years at a raptor rehab facility in Indio, CA) about the terrible damage these "better living through chemistry" solutions do to the entire food chain...
    Hi Dreamers,

The current Catch 22 would be humorous if it weren't so potentially deadly for RYC's neighbors of hawks, owls, feral cats, fox, coyote, and "Lee" and "Eileen" the resident osprey. RYC's management claims the multiple rat poison boxes are effective, and harmless to wildlife and birds. I have been told to take any questions to Orkin. In 4 calls to Orkin, Orkin management has verbally repeated to me they "will not answer my questions as I am not the customer."

Thanks to TP and others, we have proof what anti-coagulant rodenticide are in the RYC boxes, and it is the bad stuff indeed, Diphacinone and Bromadiolone with Lumitrak. Bromadiolone is unequivocally cited in 2021 CA state law AB 1788 as being illegal (https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...01920200AB1788), and Diphacinone is only legal through a known loophole. As well, raptors and owls are protected species under both the Federal Migratory Bird Treaty Act, part 703, and Cal State Code 3503.3. If you are poisoning their food, you are not protecting the species!

What would be a really cool thing is if RYC's membership agreed to nix the expensive poison and substitute owl boxes for rodenticide poisoned bait boxes. Thanks to any and all who would like to make their opinions known on this site as have MAGICdreamers.

PS: What is "Lumitrack" in the Bromadiolone poison? Bell Labs had recently made it so rats who eat the Bromadiolone with phosphors added will have the indignity of their turds glowing bright green under UV or Black Light so one can follow where they go to slowly die. Lovely.
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-26-2021 at 06:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    Unfortunately I don't have any after photos.
    Here's one of several "during" photos.

Name:  Greg and Cliff in the rear lazarette.jpg
Views: 2715
Size:  448.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Hi Dreamers,

The current Catch 22 would be humorous if it weren't so potentially deadly for RYC's neighbors of hawks, owls, feral cats, fox, coyote, and "Lee" and "Eileen" the resident osprey. RYC's management claims the multiple rat poison boxes are effective, and harmless to wildlife and birds. I have been told to take any questions to Orkin. In 4 calls to Orkin, Orkin management has verbally repeated to me they "will not answer my questions as I am not the customer."

Thanks to TP and others, we have proof what anti-coagulant rodenticide are in the RYC boxes, and it is the bad stuff indeed, Diphacinone and Bromadiolone with Lumitrak. Bromadiolone is unequivocally cited in 2021 CA state law AB 1788 as being illegal (https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...01920200AB1788), and Diphacinone is only legal through a known loophole. As well, raptors and owls are protected species under both the Federal Migratory Bird Treaty Act, part 703, and Cal State Code 3503.3. If you are poisoning their food, you are not protecting the species!

What would be a really cool thing is if RYC's membership agreed to nix the expensive poison and substitute owl boxes for rodenticide poisoned bait boxes. Thanks to any and all who would like to make their opinions known on this site as have MAGICdreamers.

PS: What is "Lumitrack" in the Bromadiolone poison? Bell Labs had recently made it so rats who eat the Bromadiolone with phosphors added will have the indignity of their turds glowing bright green under UV or Black Light so one can follow where they go to slowly die. Lovely.

Good news. After being apprised of the illegality of using second generation anti-coagulant on RYC property, RYC management has done the right thing and advised ORKIN to remove their approximate 10 bait boxes from yacht club property immediately. This is good news indeed for local birds and wildlife and will remove RYC from legal jeopardy. Orkin is in violation of CA AB1788 using second generation anti-coagulents a full 7 months after their ban.

1600 hrs. Boxes removed!
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-28-2021 at 06:47 PM.

Before I hit the road, I read that the Yurok tribe was hand crafting canoes for use on the Klamath River. It was along the way, so I decided to see what I could find. Luckily, I found a completed dugout and one under construction.

Overall, the lines are nicely proportioned.
    Name:  CB07A2D4-6B25-4B28-86C5-F457A04A111B.jpeg
Views: 811
Size:  4.40 MB

The carved seat and foot rests are sleek.
    Name:  AEFD935A-D03F-480E-A680-009AD050B342.jpeg
Views: 746
Size:  4.10 MB

Not sure about the pad at the centerline or the short, horizontal carving, maybe the mooring bitt?
    Name:  CE185BF5-87B6-48E9-ACF1-211C4A6D3377.jpeg
Views: 778
Size:  4.07 MB

Finally, the same detail under construction. The rock was just to keep the cover from blowing away. The cover kept wood from drying out, even on the foggy north coast.
    Name:  895FE5F6-8AC5-461D-9FF0-01BE393A74B2.jpeg
Views: 748
Size:  4.38 MB

Name:  kayak11.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  373.7 KB

Sleddog paddlin' MADELINE outbound at 0715 this morning. Thanks to Rainer for the photos.

Name:  kayak9.jpg
Views: 1349
Size:  576.6 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-31-2021 at 10:37 AM.

You fellas sure know how to have fun. Happy little face on the water!

If you are considering the 2023 Singlehanded Transpac, it is not too early to begin considering logistics, especially how to get your yacht home.

Though it means missing out on a potentially enjoyable return passage through the Pacific High, if your boat is a Cal-40 or smaller, or if the keel is easily removable, shipping home on a trailer is a tried and true method. In this respect, I am aware of 3 trailers here in Santa Cruz capable of carrying up to 36 feet and 12,000 pounds that could potentially be rented.

It is not too early to make reservations. I would remind just last month, the Santa Cruz 33 SIREN and O-25 SHARK ON BLUEGRASS were safely offloaded from the LURLINE, rigs stepped, and back in the water on San Francisco Bay just 17 days after finishing at Hanalei and delivered to Larry Conklin at Nawiliwili. It isn't always this easy, but shows what can be done.

Name:  Lurline5.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  615.7 KB

Too bad this option may not be available to Will and SEA WISDOM, who is currently stuck in Nawiliwili with ongoing rudder bearing issues. Though Cliff', Greg, and Brian's repair afloat in Hanalei is holding fine, SEA WISDOM had to return on her passage to Honoululu when the upper bearing began to come apart.
    Last edited by sleddog; 08-02-2021 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Name:  kayak11.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  373.7 KB

Sleddog paddlin' MADELINE outbound at 0715 this morning. Thanks to Rainer for the photos.

Name:  kayak9.jpg
Views: 1349
Size:  576.6 KB
    Looking good!

Capitola Boat Club Junior Day was quite the success...First, we had a meeting to explain the Rules, that there were no rules, just be safe, use common sense, and if you don't know, ask.

First, the two brothers, Billy (7) and Tao (4) practiced abandon ship drill and took to the Avon "liferaft." They enjoyed being aboard their liferaft partially filled with warm water...

.Name:  kids4.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  372.8 KB

The brothers are sons of Tanguy, who has competed in two Vendee Globes solo circumnavigations. While floating in the liferaft Billy, grandson of boat builder Billy Green, designed and built an aluminum foil model boat, complete with expandable width bow, foils, and rudders.

Name:  kids5.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  1.18 MB

With Olina's (7) help the junior team raided CBC's wood locker and built themselves a "spyfort." When asked who they were going to spy on, their chorused answer was "You!"

The juniors then decided to have a car wash using scavenged materials including CBC's pressure sprayer, cloth dinner napkins and hand sanitizer. When pointed out we are practicing Stage 3 Water Conservation measures, Olina, Billy, and Tao seamlessly moved to making lemonade and a successful lemonade stand popped up in the driveway.

Name:  kids 6.jpg
Views: 650
Size:  118.4 KB

Later, over corn and hotdogs, we had a "debrief" in the CBC clubhouse. It was unanimous, they want to come back soon and do it again!

Name:  kids6.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  912.1 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 08-04-2021 at 02:49 PM.