Page 247 of 628 FirstFirst ... 147197237243244245246247248249250251257297347 ... LastLast
Results 2,461 to 2,470 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

I wonder about the new trend of having large ports in the hull. I suppose they're okay for dock condos (or as my dad called them, "drinking boats.")

We're currently investigating a crack at the corner of Rags' starboard portlight. Her ports are at the limit of acceptable size and they may flex a bit.

It seems, the older we get, the shorter our masts. This William Garden design, DISCOVERY, is especially pretty and a lot of boat for the asking price. Built of top shelf materials too.

Name:  Discovery.jpg
Views: 1086
Size:  44.3 KB

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...ywo=gigharbor&

Which begs the question of what is a good motorsailer? Typically, motor sailors motor as poorly as they sail. Comfortable though.

Name:  Discovery2.jpg
Views: 775
Size:  2.3 KB

A good friend who knows these things has an interesting take on the best motor-sailor. He says its a Wyliecat.
    Why is that? Because most motor sailors are horribly underpowered in light winds, and not very weatherly to boot. Even good sailing sloops can only motorsail to windward with their mains up, 50% of available sail area.

But a Wyliecat get's to use 100% of its available sail area when motoring in light airs. A little bit of motoring speed, 1/3 throttle (2000 RPM on its small Yanmar) makes "fake wind," and the Wyliecat can easily
    double the windspeed in 2-3 knots of true wind, while sipping a pint/hour. Can't do that with most other boats.
    And in case you're wondering what "fake wind" is, it's a delivery skipper's' term for usable apparent wind created using the engine.

Name:  wyliecat3.jpg
Views: 946
Size:  22.2 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 04-02-2018 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    ...recently, the lee side window on Randal Reeves otherwise solidly built MOLI was punched in deep in the Indian Ocean when she too took a knockdown of horizontal or beyond and dashed hopes of Randall's completing his ambitious lFigure 8 Voyage...
    What are you implying?

Quote Originally Posted by The Smokester View Post
    What are you implying?
    "It has become apparent from numerous reports that, in the event of knockdown, lee side ports and windows are more vulnerable than those to windward. The lesson may be, if you're serious about going offshore, your port windows need to be small and strong: a .5 square foot "tank slit" may be none too small."

I might add that emergency port coverings such as a floorboard, and required fastenings, are a good thing to have thought through ahead of time...Here's Randall's

Name:  Hatchboards.jpg
Views: 818
Size:  104.9 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 04-02-2018 at 04:09 PM.

OK. Let me ask again. Why are you saying that this "dashed hopes of Randall's completing his ambitious lFigure 8 Voyage..."

Quote Originally Posted by The Smokester View Post
    OK. Let me ask again. Why are you saying that this "dashed hopes of Randall's completing his ambitious lFigure 8 Voyage..."
    When Randall left Ushuaia, he was by his own admittance "behind schedule" on his date with crossing 16,000 miles of Southern Ocean at planned latitude of 40-48S. The Southern Ocean at any date, but particularly in fall and winter, with its gales, massive seas, darkness, and chance of ice, takes no prisoners, As Randall wrote, "the best chance for small boats to cross the Southern Ocean is the height of summer, Nov., Dec. January, when gales are at a minimum." MOLI is currently under repair in Hobart, Tasmania. To attempt sailing eastward to Cape Horn at this late date to complete his one year Figure 8 is, I'm guessing, a plan Randall would consider too chancy.
    Last edited by sleddog; 04-03-2018 at 09:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    ...I'm guessing, a plan Randall would consider too chancy.
    Understood. I thought you had inside info that he had cancelled the remainder of the journey. I don't think he's there, yet.

A splendid new video (21 min.) posted by Leo on the culture of wooden boat building in England, and how the current generation is attempting to pass on their art, craftsmanship, and passion. Something we don't see much of in this country, except in Port Townsend and Maine.

The video also gives a excellent photographic history of English Pilot Cutters. Can you visualize a retractable bowsprit the length and diameter of a telephone pole? Racing to get a job as pilot to incoming shipping? Winning the 1927 Fastnet Race in appalling conditions? It's there.

Name:  pellew.jpg
Views: 836
Size:  186.2 KB

http://sampsonboat.co.uk/17-massive-...-ferry-planks/

For a lamb with mint sauce BBQ at CBC, what historical pilot cutter was owned and sailed by one of Britain's most fascinating and prolific explorers, author of six books?

Name:  Tilly.jpg
Views: 778
Size:  39.1 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 04-04-2018 at 08:42 AM.

You shouldn't copy/paste ... Makes it easy to Google :-)

https://www.pilotcutter.co.uk/mischief/

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    You shouldn't copy/paste ... Makes it easy to Google :-)
    Ooops that didn't sound very nice. I'm sorry.