Page 430 of 628 FirstFirst ... 330380420426427428429430431432433434440480530 ... LastLast
Results 4,291 to 4,300 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

EVER GIVEN is aground again in Suez Canal ....aground on shoals of insurance claims. And we thought Transpac racing had insurance trouble. Anyone got $960 million to bail out the EVER GIVEN? No? I feel sorry for her stranded crew aboard, likely for months. Fresh food? Not likely.

Vicky wishes to Know how you plan to aid the critter to find its home? These characters are a bit notorious for going walkabout for navigation practice. The sail and mast are, no doubt, standing furled in some stealthy corner awaiting service for the next leg to a new waypoint.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Attachment 6433

Attachment 6434

Lost and Found ..... Crossing the road. Not a pet!
    I don't THINK that's a Western Pond turtle. I could be wrong, though....I'm no herps expert. It's not a red slider, though, which is the usual non-native escapee hereabouts.

Western Pond Turtle...

Name:  Western_Pond_Turtle_0094.jpg
Views: 738
Size:  204.7 KB
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Quote Originally Posted by MAGICdreamer View Post
    Vicky wishes to Know how you plan to aid the critter to find its home? These characters are a bit notorious for going walkabout for navigation practice. The sail and mast are, no doubt, standing furled in some stealthy corner awaiting service for the next leg to a new waypoint.
    The Eastern Box Turtle in the photo up thread had crawled out of the forest and was in the middle of Scraggy Neck Rd. in Cataumet, MA, on Buzzards Bay several years ago. Possibly in search of a turtle girlfriend? I picked him up and we went door to door for an hour. He was not a missing pet and neighbors seemed to agree he was a wild turtle, and occasionally seen around those parts. After having Mr. E. Box Turtle in a box for an hour, he was gently replaced across the road he'd been attempting to cross and in the forest near a small stream, out of harm's way, to resume his walkabout.

Box turtles apparently can live to a ripe old age. 100?

Did I mention the CBC Port Captain and I recently saw a bright yellow and black bird on the CBC Race deck? Neither of us had ever seen one of these mocking bird size birds in these parts and believe it to be a Bullock's Oriole. Have any correspondents ever seen one of these beautiful birds? Vicky? Sue?

Name:  Bullocks2.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  45.8 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 04-23-2021 at 02:19 PM.

SSS of SF Bay sailors would be forgiven for not remembering today, Friday, April 23, 2021, is the 151st birthday of "blown to glory" one of your favorite rounding marks, Blossom Rock, in a huge explosion that attracted most of the citizenry of San Francisco to the waterfront to spectate. Instead of having encounters with Blossom Rock, only a fathom under water at low tide, now there is a green/red bell buoy "BR" in 39 feet of water to round where the 100 foot wide rock was.. The History Guy tells a better story than I, even though neither of us were there in 1870 to report.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJQoe1K9uuU

What did Blossom Rock have to do with the TV sitcom The Addams Family?
    Last edited by sleddog; 04-23-2021 at 06:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    What did Blossom Rock have to do with the TV sitcom The Addams Family?
    I won't answer directly but will add a related trivia question:

Edith Marie Blossom MacDonald, aka "Grandmama":

1) Was the older sister of Jeanette MacDonald, who sang while San Francisco burned in a 1936 movie

2) Was also known as Blossom Rock, and was Kid Rock's great-grandmother

3) (1) and part of (2)

4) (2) and part of (1)
    Last edited by BobJ; 04-23-2021 at 05:45 PM.

Prize?

I hereby withdraw my prize (you snooze, you lose!)

See prizes below.
    Last edited by BobJ; 04-23-2021 at 07:52 PM.

This hi-jacking of my trivia, of which I wholeheartedly approve, brings up an existential question: can I enter Bob's trivia, although I don't want Bob's prize. I promise: I do not know the answer! (Although I knew it when I asked the trivia.)

Here's the deal: whoever answers my trivia wins a pint of Marianne's Macapuno. And whoever answers Bob's trivia, also wins a pint. So there is the chance at winning a quart of Macapuno.

I'm with you, Skip. I'm avoiding Bob's trivia question for the obvious reason: working on a boat instead of eating ice cream? Huh!

That is one sweet little toitle.

What do I have to share? Well, I'll exit your thread and move to Kynntana's ...
    Last edited by Philpott; 04-23-2021 at 09:24 PM.