Page 206 of 628 FirstFirst ... 106156196202203204205206207208209210216256306 ... LastLast
Results 2,051 to 2,060 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiywGC-lNWQ
    I'll supply the Grand Marnier and lighter.

Mater Dei Monarchs (Monarch Lion) of Santa Ana has always been and continues to be a high school sports powerhouse, especially in football, where the Scarlet and Gray have the best players, quarterback, and coaches. And huge crowds, especially when Mater Dei plays rival Servite in the "holy war," the number one football rivalry in California.

Attachment 2274

We knew that, right?

Attachment 2275
    But, alas, no sailing team

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    But, alas, no sailing team
    Times have changed. There are at least 39 high school sailing teams competing in Southern Calif. Including........ta dah https://www.facebook.com/Mater-Dei-H...8268012914371/

Looky what Kimball found

Don't be late!

(If anyone is attending tomorrow's launch of the tallship MATTHEW TURNER in Sausalito and wishes to share pics and/or a first hand account, I know we'd be interested!)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by sleddog; 03-31-2017 at 10:40 PM.

[QUOTE=Philpott;17297]
    Soon it may be time for the QUEEN MARY. The iconic 81 year old ocean liner moored in Long Beach as a tourist attraction and hotel has a "now or never" challenge. The Los Angeles Times reported last week that a new survey predicts the QUEEN's rusting hull "will collapse within 10 years unless major action is taken soon." Cost estimates are $300 million. If you've never visited this history making ship, best to see her while you can.]

The Queen Mary is inextricably linked in my mind with my Mater Dei senior prom. Back then Mater Dei billed itself as "the largest co-ed Catholic high school west of the Mississippi". That was when kids who attended were first generation Irish, Italian and Polish. Grzinskis, Solianis and Feeneys. Dinner before prom on the Queen Mary is where I first witnessed the lighting of a baked Alaska, which seemed the epitome of elegance at the time. Maybe we'll have a baked Alaska at this year's cruise-out to the southern hemisphere of the Bay?
    Also the site of Richard Henry Dana Jr High School (San Pedro) Prom. Author attended, behaved ok.

Looky what Kimball found
    Ok Sled, it's been bothering me all day. I should know what boat that is but, I don't.
    I know you are really good at ID'ng boats. Sail number 2069, probably a yawl, maybe a UK boat with that sail number. Is this a quiz? And for extra points, who did the art work?

I tried to enter that first Farallones race, but they wanted you to have a VHF radio as part of the minimum equipment requirements. I thought that was nuts. I'd always thought the idea was you are on your own out there.

Best News of the Day:

At 1724 hrs, after a grudging departure from the massive submersible trailer, and to the welcoming cheers and horns of thousands of well wishers, MATTHEW TURNER has been safely launched. Congrats to all.
    Here's a 3 minute look of the joy of the 1,000 volunteers, and the size of the crowd. What a day for the sailing community. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6Ch6TxnOa8
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by sleddog; 04-02-2017 at 08:50 AM.

As dawn lit the sky in the East, about 50 fishing craft raced out of Santa Cruz Harbor on the first day of recreational salmon season. With speeds upwards of 30 knots, many of these expensive looking fiberglass outboards were in a
    distinct hurry to get to where the fish weren't.

With 5 years of drought, the rivers, streams, and creeks have run dry, and few salmon have spawned. Still, Opening Day is a fishing tradition....

No one noticed as they sped past the ghost of another fishing tradition, the Monterey Clipper VITA MARIE, about to be trucked to the landfill.
    Name:  Vita.jpg
Views: 2015
Size:  355.2 KB

Early in the last century, when commercial fishing was big business, feluccas were the fish boats of choice. Their design was based on the traditional Italian feluccas with lateen sail rigs and brought to the New World by Italian immigrants. At one time there were likely 500 sailing feluccas fishing between Monterey and SF Bay.

Name:  felucca1.jpg
Views: 1664
Size:  54.7 KB

Name:  felucca2.jpg
Views: 1371
Size:  5.0 KB

When the gas engine like the Hicks Marine Engine appeared after WWI, many of the sailing feluccas either were converted, or disappeared. When the sailing rig was abandoned, the felucca becamea known as the "Monterey Clipper" like VITA MARIE.

Name:  fishermans wharf.jpg
Views: 1633
Size:  76.6 KB

Today, with their wood construction and modest speed, the Monterey Clipper is an endangered species, even at Fishermans' Wharf in San Francisco where few remain active in the fishing business. A pity, because the Clipper's double ended hull shape is pretty beyond words to look at.

And who could resist the sound of their engines saying "Potato, Potato, Potato."

Fair well, VITA MARIE.
    Last edited by sleddog; 04-02-2017 at 07:16 PM.

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

A group of six guys from work went out of Santa Cruz on the Megabite Sunday and had good luck, three big salmon, I reeled in the biggest a real beauty of about 18 lbs. Beautiful day and good eating!

Quote Originally Posted by pogen View Post
    A group of six guys from work went out of Santa Cruz on the Megabite Sunday and had good luck, three big salmon, I reeled in the biggest a real beauty of about 18 lbs. Beautiful day and good eating!
    It was a beautiful day yesterday at Santa Cruz as we launched Howard and Yvonne's 20' Frogcat MOKUAKALANA for a Sunday sail to clear the sailing cobwebs out of our minds and MOKU's rigging.

Name:  MOKU.JPG
Views: 1142
Size:  545.8 KB

With MOKU afloat, the mainsail cover came off, only to discover in the intervening weeks of winter, an active mud dauber wasp nest was attached to the headboard of the main. Howard, demonstrating the creativeness for which he is well known, immediately hoisted the main, and the mud daubers found their cellular apartment complex 20 feet aloft.

We motored out the Harbor to the whirring hum of the electric outboard. Inbound was the salmon fleet. A minus low tide, and occasional sets of white water breaking across the west side of the now dredged entrance channel deterred no one, not even a bevy of rental kayaks.

Outside, the ocean was calm with about 4-5 knots of wind from the southwest. We sailed up towards Steamer Lane, where we could see 8-12 foot breaking swells outside, and 3-5 feet inside off "Indicators." With Spring Break happening, there looked to be about 100 surfers enjoying the clean lines as we reached in towards Cowells Beach.

It was noon "solar time," and the afternoon seabreeze begin to build right on schedule. We reached out to Mile Buoy at 6 knots in 10 knots of wind, jibed around the buoy and a couple of bobbing loons, and reached back to the Harbor as white caps built seaward. A perfect afternoon of relaxed sailing before the fog arrived about 4 pm.

Not sure how much the mud daubers enjoyed the ride aloft...but their well constructed nest was still attached when MOKU's main came down.

Thanks, Howard and Yvonne!
    Last edited by sleddog; 04-03-2017 at 07:48 AM.

Safety Moment for the Day

It's never too early to learn to duck for the boom!

Name:  Boom.JPG
Views: 1026
Size:  196.9 KB

And it goes without saying, on boats of size or in breeze of significance, to keep hair and fingers away from the traveler track and main sheet blocks. And on a jibe, accidental or intentional, to keep clear of the bight of the mainsheet and mainsheet tail......