Page 209 of 630 FirstFirst ... 109159199205206207208209210211212213219259309 ... LastLast
Results 2,081 to 2,090 of 6291

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Thanks, all, for highlighting the Famous Red Boat, aka STARBUCK....Better grab her fast, cause I know someone who might...

Here's a question for those interested in boat design. The below keel is built for what boat? What is the intention of the boat and it's singlehanded skipper? First correct answer wins a copy of either Christian's "Alone Together, Sailing Solo to Hawaii and Beyond," or George Sigler's "Experiment in Survival" Your choice. The latter details how to sail a rubber raft to Hawaii with no water and 6 pounds of food and emerge with enough brain cells intact to found the Singlehanded Sailing Society.

Name:  Keel.JPG
Views: 1324
Size:  31.5 KB

Post away BobJ. The discussion is good. I always liked that mock up. Build a ring frame and there you go. Then I'd cut off some house and make her mostly cockpit, Q style. But would it get up on step?
    Good luck tomorrow.

Jackie that sounds like an interesting project. I need to go check that out.

Do you Sled? Go on

Free standing masts are nothing new. They are called "catboats" (no relation to catamarans.) With one sail, a large main, catboats are easy to rig, fast under sail, and simple to maintain. The unparalleled racing success of the Wyliecat 30 on San Francisco Bay is just one example of a successful catboat.

In 1979, 17 years before the Wyliecat 30 made the scene, Howard Spruit of Santa Cruz designed and built the first of his Frogcat 21's. The Frog 21 Specs;
    Loa 21’
    LWL 20’
    Bmax 8’
    Draft 3’
    Displacement lite boat 1500#
    Ballast 750#
    Sail Area 200 sq ft
    code zero 164sq ft

Unfortunately, Santa Cruz boatbuilders were not very good salespeople, and only 3 Frogcats were built. Here is the original promo:

Name:  Frogcat212.jpg
Views: 956
Size:  404.0 KB

With a PHRF rating of 240, Frogcat 21's could have been killer on the race course.
    Name:  Frogcat21 001.jpg
Views: 877
Size:  539.4 KB
    Could have been.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Here's a question for those interested in boat design. The below keel is built for what boat? What is the intention of the boat and it's singlehanded skipper? First correct answer wins a copy of either Christian's "Alone Together, Sailing Solo to Hawaii and Beyond," or George Sigler's "Experiment in Survival" Your choice.
    I've already read both those books. What else have you got? In fact, I gave you the survival book. Have you memorized the details? You might need them if you and Annie r snowed in aboard Ruby. I realize that it is acceptable behavior to ask for something else. At last year's Sail Down to Redwood Shores Tom Patterson asked if he could return the battery operated alarm clock that crowed like a rooster. Ingrate.

I heard that the "fleet" of Frog 21's ended up in Jackson Lake, Wyoming. They are cool little boats.

Jonathan~
    You are correct, all 3 boats are @ Jackson hole.
    I was building my current catamaran and planed to sell my monomaran but had not told any body yet, when I got a phone call from Jackson hole.
    The caller told me he wanted to know about my Cat boat. I asked what he wanted to know and he said "How much do you want for it and when can we pick it up."
    So I had to figure how much I wanted, and he went for it!
    I was totally amazed.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    I've already read both those books. What else have you got? .
    I'm sorry, did I miss your answers to the above questions regarding the mystery keel and it's purpose? Answer those correctly, and the sky is the limit on a more significant award, sailing literature or otherwise.

Here's one I have for loan: An Ocean Cruise and Deep Water Regatta of the Pacific Yacht Club, July 1884..
    It's the story of an ocean race from Sausalito to Santa Cruz, published 1884, with color illustrations.

Name:  santacruzrace 001.jpg
Views: 846
Size:  1.30 MB

Sled, your record of 18.8 knots steering Ragtime! was in jeopardy today. We hit 18.5 surfing back in the Gate this afternoon - with a reefed main and #3!

Honkin' it was.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Sled, your record of 18.8 knots steering Ragtime! was in jeopardy today. We hit 18.5 surfing back in the Gate this afternoon - with a reefed main and #3! Honkin' it was.
    Yowza! Hopefully the tiller stayed together this time. It's been breezy down here in Santa Cruz the last two days, with 25-35 knots offshore. A couple of 41 mph (36 knot) gusts recorded at Long Marine Lab, two miles west.

http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwher...Wind+Yesterday

Did you carry the #3 all the way to Duxbury?
    Last edited by sleddog; 05-14-2017 at 07:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Answer those correctly, and the sky is the limit on a more significant award, sailing literature or otherwise.
    I do like a book with pictures. Since you've been spending time with the Mooresies, I suspect one of them is planning to do one of the Transpacs, and that is an emergency rudder? The circular bit might fit over a rod already attached to the transom?

BTW, Chris Case has built an emergency rudder for his Wilderness 30, Fugu, out of amazingly lightweight but strong material (carbon fiber?). Maybe he will post a photo of it.