Page 515 of 628 FirstFirst ... 15415465505511512513514515516517518519525565615 ... LastLast
Results 5,141 to 5,150 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Another hint for trivia post 5134, posted yesterday above: The primary celestial object, one of the brightest stars, used in the navigation of this voyage of exploration, can be seen from the deck of Capitola Boat Club on February evenings, but not from the deck of Richmond Yacht Club, nor from Inverness YC. Identify this star and you will be closer to answering the trivia: "what was this famous voyage of exploration that a family member of the SSS Forum navigated?"
    Last edited by sleddog; 09-11-2022 at 06:34 AM.

Polaris

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Polaris
    Polaris, the North Star, is nowhere near "one of the brightest stars," ranking #50 in brightness. As well, Polaris is visible from most everywhere in the N. Hemisphere, including RYC, IYC, CBC, EYC, and Seattle YC. The very bright star I refer to is not visible from any of those yacht clubs except CBC, here in Capitola. But we are not looking for a star, we are looking for the name of a famous Voyage of Exploration, and if you can find it, the name of the navigator who made it possible (not mandatory) for the ice cream.

Huh. Well, it is sad that I am so dim about that. Get it? Dim? But on the upside, I have discovered Mitchell's ice cream here in my neighborhood at Soi Four restaurant.

Ube-Macapuno - Purple yam blended with sweet, meaty coconut, both imported from the Philippines.

I ordered it up as an appetizer and ate it so fast I forgot to photograph it. Oops.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Hi Ants, The Transglobe Expedition certainly qualifies as Epic. However, it is not the voyage of exploration to which I refer. Please feel free to try again.
    Try again - thank you, I will.

The time of the voyage was 1982-1984

The name of the expedition was the Globe Star expedition by Marvin Creamer.

One of the stars could have been Canopus, also known as Alpha Carnal.

Creamer had 9 separate crew during the voyage. I am not familiar with current SSS members, so the best I can do is list the Creamer crew
    George Baldwin
    Jesse Edwards
    Ed Gibson
    Bob Kout
    Bob Watson
    Nick Gill
    Jeff Hardalin
    Rick Kuzyk
    Dave Lansdale

Hopefully, if the above is correct, someone can get the final designation.

Cheers,
    Ants

Quote Originally Posted by AntsUiga View Post
    Try again - thank you, I will. The time of the voyage was 1982-1984.The name of the expedition was the Globe Star expedition by Marvin Creamer. One of the stars could have been Canopus, also known as Alpha Carnal. Cheers, Ants
    Hi Ants, Your persistence has got us halfway home. The second brightest star in the sky is Canopus, and curiously it is not visible at a latitude north of Capitola..Just further south and into the S.Hemisphere. I am not familiar with Marvin Creamer's Globe Star Expedition. But no, that is not the epic voyage of exploration to which I refer. Carry on and guess again. You are closer than anyone. Since Philpott offered my Macapuno as a prize to her trivia a while back, I will offer a bowl of her purple yam and coconut icecream should you or another furnish the correct answer and be in her vicinity.
    Last edited by sleddog; 09-11-2022 at 06:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Carry on and guess again. You are closer than anyone. Since Philpott offered my Macapuno as a prize to her trivia a while back, I will offer a bowl of her purple yam and coconut icecream should you or another furnish the correct answer and be in her vicinity.
    That would be an acceptable resolution to me. I am in North Oakland, kids.

Just a wild guess.
    Would that be Paul Larsen navigating the Alexandra Shackleton in the recreation of Sir Ernest's epic rescue voyage?
    Chasing Shackleton.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    Just a wild guess.
    Would that be Paul Larsen navigating the Alexandra Shackleton in the recreation of Sir Ernest's epic rescue voyage?
    Chasing Shackleton.
    Shackleton's Voyage from Elephant Island to South Georgia and Frank Worsley's navigation certainly ranks at the top of small boat voyaging anytime, anywhere..Thank you for reminding us. The JAMES CAIRD was more a voyage of Survival. And no, it's re-creation is not the answer. Please guess again. BTW, will be leaving today for Gerstle Cove, Salt Point, returning Friday. Though I will be off grid, should someone guess the correct answer in my absence, it will be acknowledged by an interested party cognizant of the history of this Voyage of Exploration using the bright star Canopus as an important assist.
    Last edited by sleddog; 09-12-2022 at 07:01 AM.

Here's my wild guess, but only if great-great-great-great grandfathers count and planets count as stars..., now that I write it, I'm so wrong. My head must be spinning backwards.
    The first voyage of James Cook was a combined Royal Navy and Royal Society expedition to the south Pacific Ocean aboard HMS Endeavour, from 1768 to 1771. It was the first of three Pacific voyages of which James Cook was the commander. The aims of this first expedition were to observe the 1769 transit of Venus across the Sun (3–4 June that year), and to seek evidence of the postulated Terra Australis Incognita or "undiscovered southern land".
    Last edited by Eyrie; 09-12-2022 at 12:11 PM.
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. Be amazed at the friends you have here on your trip.
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. On your way to a world that others might have missed.
    ~ Blues Image