Page 359 of 628 FirstFirst ... 259309349355356357358359360361362363369409459 ... LastLast
Results 3,581 to 3,590 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

If you're looking for a Holiday gift for your favorite singlehander, the recently published novel RAROTONGA authored by Christian Williams may fill the bill.

Name:  Rarotonga.jpg
Views: 1320
Size:  6.5 KB

Christian, a singlehanded sailor himself and vet of the '79 Fastnet Race storm, writes with sailing authority and authenticity. Much of the book takes place on board a thinly disguised, Ted Hood design, Little Harbor 60 that leaves on a stealth voyage into the Pacific with its driven solo skipper Bobby Ayres. It's a bit of a mystery why the "voyage to nowhere," except Ayres is being pursued by the IRS and maybe other demons with ill intentions.

Leaving hurriedly from an Ensenada boatyard that has just burned down and without his new lady crew creates some karma problems for Ayres, the first being a poorly secured trysail track rips off and the sail goes overboard and fouls the centerboard in a storm....From there... well you'll have to read it yourself. Christian Williams has done his homework, much of it based on his own offshore experience and extensive music background.

Ayres, the singlehander, does make escape to Raro. But RAROTONGA's denouement is not the usual approach to Avatiu like Synthia recently experienced.

If you're a singlehander and don't recognize someone or someplace in this story, you're not looking hard enough. I even found myself, WTF.

RAROTONGA is available in paperback, Kindle and audiobook.

Thanks, Christian. Good stuff.

PS: If you can find the author's one and only navigational error on page 78, you are invited to brandy and eggnog at the Capitola Boat Club fireplace.
    Last edited by sleddog; 12-08-2019 at 06:17 PM.

Coming in on a "Wing and a Prayer," Synthia and Danny are 100 miles SE of destination Ko'olina, Oahu on the 16th day of their delivery of a Jeanneau Sunfast 3200 from Tahiti to Hawaii.

The one time 2018 PacCupper was left to rot in a tropical backwater marina for a year, accumulating mold, leaks, marginalized electronics, and at least one wasp nest below. The main has failed 3 times and they are under jib alone, having run out of patching tape for an attempted 4th repair. The engine tranny is failing. They are down to granola bars and rice.

They'll be fine once they arrive tomorrow, clear customs, and allowed to get off and hike up to the Marriott Bar and Grill. I asked Synthia, before she left SFO and had not yet seen the boat, why she was taking this on?:

"For the adventure."
    Last edited by sleddog; 12-11-2019 at 05:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    If you're looking for a Holiday gift for your favorite singlehander, the recently published novel RAROTONGA authored by Christian Williams may fill the bill.

PS: If you can find the author's one and only navigational error on page 78, you are invited to brandy and eggnog at the Capitola Boat Club fireplace.
    Captain Bob, of Haleiwa Hawaii, called today to say "hold the brandy, I'll take the eggnog. I've sailed to both places, and the correct answer on page 78 of Christian's book RAROTONGA is Manzanillo is 435 nm north of Acapulco, MX, not 500 miles south as printed."

Right On, Cap.
    Last edited by sleddog; 12-15-2019 at 04:52 PM.

Captain Bob, of Haleiwa Hawaii, called today to say "hold the brandy, I'll take the eggnog.
    Right On, Cap.
    Well if he isn't going to drink it, can I have it?

Quote Originally Posted by Intermission View Post
    Well if he isn't going to drink it, can I have it?
    This morning, 45 minutes before sunrise, looking east over Monterey Bay towards the Salinas Valley and the backlit Big Sur Range and Monterey Peninsula, the sky was a delicious, fireplace orange /red tequila sunrise.

Name:  Sunrise.JPG
Views: 1225
Size:  17.2 KB

The proverb "Red Sky at Morning, Sailors Take Warning, Red Sky at Night, Sailors Delight, has been in nautical lexicon for hundreds, if not thousands of years.

For brandy, eggnog optional, in front of the CBC fireplace, "Red Sky at Morning, Red Sky at Night" is possible where? (more than one answer may be correct, and we are looking for all correct answers combined.)

1) Northern Hemisphere only
    2) Northern and Southern Hemisphere
    3) Northern Hemisphere, but not in the tropics.
    4) Northern and Southern Hemisphere, but not in the tropics.
    5) In an area of high atmospheric pressure.
    6) In an trough of low atmospheric pressure.
    7) In the transition between high and low pressure.
    8) Not if the sky is clear.
    9) At the South Pole Station in mid-June.
    Last edited by sleddog; 12-17-2019 at 12:14 PM.

OK, I'll try...
    IIRC, it's usually the High Pressure that holds dust and other things in the atmosphere, so:
    #2 is true
    #5 for Red at BOTH morning and night;
    the origin of the phrase is #7 (red sky in the direction of the High).
    #8 is possibly true; depends on the definition of "clear". Just saying you could have red without clouds.

#9 seems very unlikely conditions for any sun based observations! again, just sayin'.
    DH
    Last edited by DaveH; 12-17-2019 at 02:42 PM.

Hi David,

Happy Holidays to you!

Regarding the Red Sky quiz above, the sole correct answer you nominated was #7. And I'm sorry, but "possibly" and "unlikely" are equivocal answers.

Try again if you like. Someone else want to guess?

This morning, 45 minutes before sunrise, looking east over Monterey Bay towards the Salinas Valley and the backlit Big Sur Range and Monterey Peninsula, the sky was a delicious, fireplace orange /red tequila sunrise.

Name:  Sunrise.JPG
Views: 1225
Size:  17.2 KB

The proverb "Red Sky at Morning, Sailors Take Warning, Red Sky at Night, Sailors Delight, has been in nautical lexicon for hundreds, if not thousands of years.

For brandy, eggnog optional, in front of the CBC fireplace, "Red Sky at Morning, Red Sky at Night" is possible where? (more than one answer may be correct, and we are looking for all correct answers combined.)

1) Northern Hemisphere only
    2) Northern and Southern Hemisphere
    3) Northern Hemisphere, but not in the tropics.
    4) Northern and Southern Hemisphere, but not in the tropics.
    5) In an area of high atmospheric pressure.
    6) In an trough of low atmospheric pressure.
    7) In the transition between high and low pressure.
    8) Not if the sky is clear.
    9) At the South Pole Station in mid-June.

I'm guessing #4, #6, #7, and #8.

Coming in on a "Wing and a Prayer," Synthia and Danny are 100 miles SE of destination Ko'olina, Oahu on the 16th day of their delivery of a Jeanneau Sunfast 3200 from Tahiti to Hawaii.

The one time 2018 PacCupper was left to rot in a tropical backwater marina for a year, accumulating mold, leaks, marginalized electronics, and at least one wasp nest below. The main has failed 3 times and they are under jib alone, having run out of patching tape for an attempted 4th repair. The engine tranny is failing. They are down to granola bars and rice.

They'll be fine once they arrive tomorrow, clear customs, and allowed to get off and hike up to the Marriott Bar and Grill. I asked Synthia, before she left SFO and had not yet seen the boat, why she was taking this on?:

"For the adventure."
    I wondered how that was going....thanks.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"