Page 390 of 628 FirstFirst ... 290340380386387388389390391392393394400440490 ... LastLast
Results 3,891 to 3,900 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

"perdurance" -- had to go look that one up after I figured out that you didn't just mis-type. Well done, scholar.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Early this morning, under the radar, Brendan aboard the Santa Cruz 33 SIREN has slipped his mooring at MDR, got himself to Pt Dume, and embarked offshore on his 400 miler Qualifier for the 2021 SHTP. SIREN on AIS seen currently passing (10 pm, Saturday night) south of San Nicholas Island, making 6.7 knots in 10-12 knots of wind.
    Tho not in communication with SIREN and I don't know if he is running a tracker, here is what I know 24 hours after Brendan started his Qualifier by monitoring AIS: Unofficially, SIREN passed near Tanner Bank Buoy and currently is near 32-00 N x 119-35 W, sailing south at 2 knots in WNW winds of 2-4 knots. This position is abeam and offshore the CA/Mexican border, and is approximately 128 miles offshore from his start yesterday at Pt. Dume, 120 miles offshore Pt. Vincente, and 128 miles offshore Pt. Loma at San Diego.

SIREN averaged 5.3 knots for first 24 hours, good going in sub-12 knot winds. Looks like continued light winds for the next 36 hours, mostly WNW at 4-10 knots. Good thing SIREN is fast in these conditions. Carry on. Note to Brendan: your AIS worked to ~115 miles offshore using land based, mountain top, VHF receivers. This is generally what the LongPackers experienced with their AIS reception also.
    Last edited by sleddog; 08-09-2020 at 12:29 PM.

Tho not in communication with SIREN and I don't know if he is running a tracker, here is what I know 24 hours after Brendan started his Qualifier by monitoring AIS: Unofficially, SIREN passed near Tanner Bank Buoy and currently is near 32-00 N x 119-35 W, sailing south at 2 knots in WNW winds of 2-4 knots. This position is abeam and offshore the CA/Mexican border, and is approximately 128 miles offshore from his start yesterday at Pt. Dume, 120 miles offshore Pt. Vincente, and 128 miles offshore Pt. Loma at San Diego.

SIREN averaged 5.3 knots for first 24 hours, good going in sub-12 knot winds. Looks like continued light winds for the next 36 hours, mostly WNW at 4-10 knots. Good thing SIREN is fast in these conditions. Carry on. Note to Brendan: your AIS worked to ~115 miles offshore using land based, mountain top, VHF receivers. This is generally what the LongPackers experienced with their AIS reception also.

Check Traffic around noon, and around 7 pm. A propagation mode COULD become active around these times that will let the shore stations pick up Siren well beyond the 100 miles .

At 0800 this morning, Tuesday, 8/11, Brendan on SIREN is less than 20 miles from finishing his Qualifier. Currently reaching at 6.5 knots in 10 knots of wind, his time of 72 hours, or a little less, much in light to moderate breeze, is good stuff. Congrats to Brendan and SIREN!

Name:  Third Try1.jpg
Views: 1140
Size:  443.8 KB

On July 8th a Coast Guard C-130 Hercules located the trimaran THIRD TRY, and the crew of Matson containership MAHI MAHI diverted and removed three sailors from the 50 foot trimaran 825 miles northeast of Oahu, Hawaii. Reportedly, THIRD TRY was either on a nonstop circumnavigation or headed to Japan when the rudder failed, the crossbeams began cracking, 2 crew "wanted off" instead of drifting aimlessly,and they rang their EPIRB...

The abandoned and disabled, all welded aluminum tri, was then broadcast by the CG as a "hazard to navigation" as it drifted southwest . A month later, THIRD TRY was found by a fisherman who towed it into Haleiwa Harbor. Owner/builder Dave Vann paid the fisherman $5,000, and THIRD TRY is now for sale at Haleiwa Harbor for $29,000. Guest slip is $34/day.

Name:  Third Try 2.jpg
Views: 1147
Size:  450.9 KB

Thanks to Captain Bob on his SUP who took these pics this morning, and briefly interviewed the owner who had flown in and was aboard removing his personal belongings before returning to Napa rather than quarantining for 14 days.

Didn't we see this operation some years ago, (2008?) with resulting structural failure shortly after then named TIN CAN headed around the world without ever having been at sea? Wasn't Dave Vann writing an article for Esquire?

How'd you like to run into that puppy on an Express 27 on a dark night?
    Last edited by sleddog; 08-12-2020 at 11:39 AM.

Better t boning that than a boat made to go to sea anyway!
    Glad all are OK.

Didn't we see this operation some years ago, with similar results as soon as it got in the ocean off San Francisco? How'd you like to run into that puppy on an Express 27 on a dark night?
    Seriously, it's the same boat? That is scary.

At 0800 this morning, Tuesday, 8/11, Brendan on SIREN is less than 20 miles from finishing his Qualifier. Currently reaching at 6.5 knots in 10 knots of wind, his time of 72 hours, or a little less, much in light to moderate breeze, is good stuff. Congrats to Brendan and SIREN!
    Nice. Congrats, Brendan!
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Name:  Leila 2.jpg
Views: 761
Size:  405.2 KB

Another generation, grand nephew (1) and grand niece (3) take command.

Name:  Leila 3.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  430.9 KB

Doublehanding in place as Leila sings "Row, row, row your boat...." Our Avon Redcrest, more than 40 years old, has no leaks and accompanied the original WILDFLOWER across many oceans as far as New Zealand, Hanalei Bay, and Glacier Bay...

Now this venerable raft is the new flagship of the CBC. Last week, after carefully packing WILDFLOWER, my 22' cruising cat launched in 2012, I set out to deliver her to her new owner in Alamitos Bay, 400 miles south.

Name:  Wildflower last.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  99.2 KB

As I drove the highway, memories of good times flooded my mind. Building WILDFLOWER here in the CBC driveway with Howard Spruit during 3,000 hours and 18 months. 3 round trips to British Columbia, Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festivals, Petaluma and Napa Rivers, Monterey Bay...

Name:  WildflowerPL.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  1.55 MB

The first stop on my delivery was a visit with dear friends at the Magic Schooner and Cat House of Los Osos, located the south end of Morro Bay. There I was treated to a tour of MINI-MAGIC, the 7' radio controlled replica of MAGIC. Craig was caressing MINI-MAGIC's forward sheer, planing off a fraction of an inch to get the look exactly right to the original MAGIC, which Craig had also designed.

Name:  Magic8.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  317.0 KB

Inside MINI-MAGIC's hull was the radio control mechanism, featuring cool engineering that will not only steer, but trim the genoa, overlapping foresail, and the main in unison. I can't wait to see MINI-MAGIC lifting her skirts as she skims, rail down, across Morro Bay on a brisk afternoon seabreeze.

On the other end of the schooner spectrum, on his drafting board, Craig had drawings for a new, hollow, wood main mast for the 113 year old schooner MARTHA of Port Townsend. The mast when built will be 79 feet, or maybe more..When not sail training, MARTHA's afterguard loves to race local schooner races. And a little extra sail area can't hurt can it?

I asked why the new mast? It seems MARTHA's rigging was going slack as the old mast, going soft, compressed and grew shorter. Wood will do that... TBC
    Last edited by sleddog; 08-14-2020 at 06:24 PM.

Mixed emotions no doubt, but as one chapter closes another adventure is just around the next corner.

All the best.
    Tom P.