Page 310 of 628 FirstFirst ... 210260300306307308309310311312313314320360410 ... LastLast
Results 3,091 to 3,100 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    Good time to replace rudder shaft bushings too.

Drill a small 1/4 in hole in the bottom (easily plugged with epoxy) to check for saturation, and check the shaft where it enters the foil for corrosion.
    Thanks, Greg! Boy, I wish I had watched you do that. Of course you did it all yourself over there in Marina Village.

Yes, Skip has suggested I do that, too. And I will. Don't see that I have a rudder shaft bushing, just an extension of the fiberglass tubing from below, which I will strengthen with that woven fiberglass drenched in West system epoxy. However, I am interested in replacing this:

Name:  washer.jpg
Views: 771
Size:  672.9 KB

is it a washer? Can't find anything like it online yet. Tried googling "washer shaped doo-hickey for rudder" and couldn't find nuthin. Skip also suggested I weigh the rudder on a scale. I can do that, too. Just for fun. Any bets on how heavy it will be? A prize to the closest guesser. Not Closet Guesser, closest guesser. We're upfront on this site.
    Last edited by Philpott; 03-20-2019 at 09:30 PM.

43#

58#

The washer would be there so the rudder and tube don't wear against each other.
    The material looks to be the same as old blocks were made of. Can't think of the name.
    Could be replaced with delrin or nylon.

but what does this do?
    Name:  cuphook.jpg
Views: 723
Size:  3.6 KB

That's what she used to extract the "washer shaped doo-hickey for rudder."

It appears the washer is a spacer the keeps the top of the rudder from binding on the bottom of the hull. As suggested earlier by Greg.

Name:  DuraMater Rudder.JPG
Views: 640
Size:  311.1 KB

My suggestion would be to have Steve Seal come take a look. I'd bet he's encountered similar, and could possibly simplify whatever happens next.

My guess is the rudder does not have top or bottom bearings. Also guessing it weighs 60 pounds.
    Last edited by sleddog; 03-22-2019 at 12:05 PM.

Now that I can see a close-up shot, may I change my vote? Is the shaft solid stainless or tubular? (From the 70's: "That's TUBULAR, man!")

Ragtime!'s old rudder weighed 38# and was larger than DM's, but it had a carbon shaft. The new rudder was much lighter!

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Now that I can see a close-up shot, may I change my vote? Is the shaft solid stainless or tubular? (From the 70's: "That's TUBULAR, man!")

Ragtime!'s old rudder weighed 38# and was larger than DM's, but it had a carbon shaft. The new rudder was much lighter!
    Yes, of course you can change your vote. All votes must be received by 6 pm Sunday evening. No mail in ballots accepted, this Forum is your only option. I took my bathroom scale down to the slip and weighed the rudder in the rain. Yeah. Seemed like the thing to do. Why not?

Name:  IMG-5065.JPG
Views: 631
Size:  341.7 KB

Remember that there is a prize for the winner. It is not a chicken dinna.
    Last edited by Philpott; 03-22-2019 at 06:04 PM.

The washer shaped doo-hickey for rudder appears to be made of phenolic sheet of perhaps 1/8 inch thickness (or maybe 1/16, hard to tell in pictures). This is good stuff and readily available and easy to work. Should not be too difficult to fabricate a replacement for RM's rudder prior to re-installation.

I guess 45 lbs. And now I really want to see if my rudder floats and then weight it...

Quote Originally Posted by JohnS View Post
    The washer shaped doo-hickey for rudder appears to be made of phenolic sheet of perhaps 1/8 inch thickness (or maybe 1/16, hard to tell in pictures). This is good stuff and readily available and easy to work. Should not be too difficult to fabricate a replacement for RM's rudder prior to re-installation. I guess 45 lbs. And now I really want to see if my rudder floats and then weight it...
    Thanks, John! That's really good information. It is beautiful material in its own right. And your guess has been recorded:

Name:  rudder weight guesses.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  179.2 KB

Carliane has offered me her diving weights to re-install. I wonder whether she might come over and help? Now that would be fun.