Page 428 of 628 FirstFirst ... 328378418424425426427428429430431432438478528 ... LastLast
Results 4,271 to 4,280 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Sighted yesterday off Alameda practicing for the Zero-handed Transpac. Definitely not as pretty as Mini-MAGIC.

Name:  Drone.jpg
Views: 912
Size:  138.8 KB

The boat BIZZMARK was named after the 1890s German General who advocated to dissolve the german congress and abolish democracy.
    Not unlike many politicians in today's USA politics!
    I am not sure of the spelling, of Bizzmark
    Last edited by Howard Spruit; 04-07-2021 at 09:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Spruit View Post
    The boat BIZZMARK was named after the 1890s German General who advocated to dissolve the german congress and abolish democracy. Not unlike many politicians in today's USA politics!
    I am not sure of the spelling, of Bizzmark
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1Ufc2hI4FM

With the German battleship BISMARCK steaming in circles due to a torpedoed rudder, the British Navy circled around and pumped over 2,100 shells and torpedoes into the dreaded "battlewagon." 2106 German sailors were lost with the sinking of the BISMARCK, 115 saved.

Meanwhile, in a more current oceanic drama, as yet unresolved, a yacht delivery ship has been abandoned in heavy seas off the coast of Norway. Just windage has the EMSLIFT HENDRIKA doing 10 knots on a broad reach. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_V4KwLKZe0
    Last edited by sleddog; 04-07-2021 at 09:49 PM.

Name:  Uffa1.jpg
Views: 810
Size:  111.0 KB

Rescuing royalty is always a novelty. A fun little story about this photograph of Prince Phillip and Uffa Fox. It was Tuesday of Cowes Week, 1962, and blowing SW, 6, with wind against tide, heavy weather for the Flying Fifteens. Phillip and Fox had already nearly submerged the dark green COWESLIP at least once and bailed her out to resume racing.

In the near vicinity, Keith Beken of Beken of Cowes photography was out in his powerboat with a Yank friend, Richard, from STORMVOGEL's crew, aboard to assist. Shortly after this photo was taken, Phillip bore off on a plane and punched the bow into a green one, filling COWESLIP. There was much cursing and unhappiness aboard, and Fox called over to Beken for assistance and a tow back into Cowes Roads.

Beken and Richard obliged, and with COWESLIP under tow and Uffa and the Prince bailing, got the Flying Fifteen to Fox's waterfront home, "The Commodore's House." There, COWESLIP's personal hoist was lowered and hooked to the lifting sling. As the boat, still partly full, began to come clear of the water, the heavy chain securing the crane pulled its eye out of the wall of the house and the boom of the hoist came down hard on COWESLIP, doing unknown but significant damage. The Prince, known for his seamans' salty language, with Uffa Fox joining in, let the world know their unhappiness about their afternoon's performance with a round of expletives that should not be repeated in this public forum.

The London papers had a hey day with headlines of these royal happenings.

Name:  Uffa2.jpg
Views: 762
Size:  299.6 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 04-09-2021 at 01:12 PM.

Yosemite Valley in the spring is all about its magnificent waterfalls. 10,000 visitors a day to the bases of Bridalveil and Yosemite Falls can't be wrong, can they? Not if you like traffic jams, enjoy waiting in line, and standing shoulder to shoulder with hundreds of your new best friends.

We decided on something a little different, paying homage to a waterfall that is seldom visited, partly because the National Park Service discourages it and does not maintain any sort of trail. And partly because the hike is in the boondocks of the Valley, through a forest, and 2.5 miles one-way while mostly 45 degrees up, then back down.

The incentive is to get to the base of this waterfall, at 1,634' high, is to visit what is reputedly the longest single-drop waterfall in North America. as well as the tallest, continuous waterfall in the United States. Which despite spending nearly an hour off track, we managed to do. Awesome it was, in full cry, as mist rained down on our tired bodies.

Here's a view from the road.

Name:  Yosemite 2.jpg
Views: 807
Size:  212.5 KB

And this from the base, looking up, with an ice cone across the way.

Name:  Yosemite3.jpg
Views: 853
Size:  129.8 KB

While we sat in wonderment, we also caught view of the nearby "Hourglass," a 400 foot exfoliation first climbed in 1962 by a long time sailing friend and our host on their property in Mariposa. Thanks, Joe and Nancy!

Name:  Hourglass.png
Views: 948
Size:  447.0 KB

Name:  hourglass2.jpg
Views: 694
Size:  144.6 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 04-14-2021 at 09:54 PM.

Just when I thought I'd seen everything, longitudinal cracks along the back of aluminum spreaders were pointed out to me on a boat recently delivered overland to the Bay Area from the Great Lakes.

Buzz Ballenger didn't even need to see the spreaders to relay what had happened: Buzz's diagnosis was the spreaders had overwintered outside and rain or snowmelt had entered the spreaders only to freeze. The frozen water had expanded only to blow pressure relief cracks in the spreaders.

Be glad we don't encounter this phenomena in the Bay Area.
    Last edited by sleddog; 04-16-2021 at 01:38 PM.

Few new custom boats are being built in Santa Cruz these days. However, speed is being served with the arrival of Terry Alsberg's turboed Express-27 NEMO fresh from Moore Bros Boat Yard. The boat hasn't been launched yet, but an 8 foot pivoting sprit and ultra-deep bulb keel hints this potential rocket will probably be competing with the Santa Cruz 50's and 52's for Wed. Night Racing honors. I just wonder if anyone has measured the hoist clearance for picking NEMO off the trailer? And at low tide I guarantee NEMO can't get close to the hoist unless someone has the combination to the dredge for a little weekend mud sucking.

It seems like yesterday we were testing the prototype of the first Express-27 on her maiden sail with Carl Schumacher aboard. That prototype is now E-27 #0, DIANNE, with SK at the tiller.

Name:  NEMO1.jpg
Views: 572
Size:  92.3 KB

Name:  NEMO2.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  89.6 KB

Name:  NEMO3.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  89.0 KB

Across the harbor and a century away, the 70' schooner MAYAN has had a nose job on her iron bark centerboard. (The Brits call it a "centreplate.")

Name:  Mayan1.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  177.6 KB

The 10 foot leading edge used to have all the streamlining of a 2x4, and the trailing edge was no better. Under Beau's guidance, Homer, Matt, and Tom have turned the old board into a thing of beauty with hydrodynamic fairing replacing the previous tugboat industrial tool. You would still not label this improved board a "blade" like on NEMO. But you don't need a kelp cutter like on NEMO either.

Here's the improved board being fitted and the 2" diameter pivot pin being driven home. Notice the modern tool lifting the front of MAYAN's 800 pound board: a wooden timber being used as a lever arm with a 170 pound human on the other end.

Name:  MAYAN2.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  87.7 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 04-19-2021 at 08:50 PM.

Boat yards are so cool. And every day is a new adventure. Kind of like remodeling an old house: You never know how much molding is behind those plaster walls.

Which reminds me that Surprise! is at Berkeley Marine Center and Ruben has a new Passport 40. Gotta go down there on my way to Ashby lumber for some moulding behind which I plan to hide Dura Mater's new fairy lights.

Jason, the best hull diver in the world, has been bugging me to get this looked at. It was caused by the SSS drogue demonstration last year. It appears water has not quite penetrated the rudder.

Name:  BMC Haulout 3.jpg
Views: 574
Size:  46.8 KBName:  BMC Haulout 6.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  58.5 KB

And as soon as he walked up to the boat, Ryan Nelson (also at BMC) pointed out some cracking in the stanchions. He'll be doing a full rigging inspection. Then we plan to do the rest of the OYRA series with (can you believe it) CREW!

But I'm sorry, fairy lights will not be gracing Surprise!'s cabin.
    Last edited by BobJ; 04-19-2021 at 08:17 PM.

Rudder looks like an easy repair, yes? If the stanchions or bases needing welding, they'll likely rust. Yes? Tell Ruben "Hi."

I've been cleaning the garage and found enough old climbing equipment to have gotten Napoleon, his mule, and crew across the Alps. About time to make a small and simple boom brake from a biner and rappel bar. Anyone want to test? I don't own a boom at present

I've only ever used a boom brake once, on an Islander 36 running down the City Front in 18-20. Except for it's size and weight, I was impressed. The boom gybed smoothly to the count of 10.
    Last edited by sleddog; 04-19-2021 at 09:03 PM.