Page 419 of 628 FirstFirst ... 319369409415416417418419420421422423429469519 ... LastLast
Results 4,181 to 4,190 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Oh, Mini-Magic is looking GREAT!
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Just texted w/ sailing friend in Austin, TX. 20 degrees, no water, no power, and 40% of the city may not regain utilities until later this afternoon, earliest. The mayor of Austin can only communicate from his car.

I'd hoped to crew aboard a Wylie39 in the Corinthian, but the experienced skipper just wrote: "Corinthian entries opened Monday to allow 16 more entries. I have been unsuccessful in getting a PHRF renewal from YRA ( Laura is not responding to my emails or phone calls) and I was unable to join SSS and enter the race. I may still join, or just try to enter the Round the Rocks race when that opens up....I’ll see if I can enter the Round the Rocks, but if it is the only race I’ll do with SSS this year I’d rather not spend twice as much to join SSS. Members get the first shot at entering, and it seems to fill up quickly. I don’t seem to be successful at getting the timing right."

Hope to see you all for Round-the-Rocks!

Unless, of course, you are first to correctly answer the next quiz and visit CBC before RtR to collect your edible winnings.

Capitola Boat Club does not discriminate in its fleet. Paddle, pedal, row, sail, power, surf, canoes, models, all are welcome, including MM's 47' ULDB powerboat SARISSA (IMHO coolest powerboat on SF Bay) and radio controlled like Craig and Vicky's new schooner MAGIC at Morro Bay.

Unfortunately, NYYC has declined reciprocal membership to CBC. Was it something I said on another forum regarding American Magic's America's Cup Challenge CEO's recent baloney about sailing for the America's Cup? Or was it our burgee?

If the NYYC is honest about “creating an America’s Cup culture in American sailing, and not just racing to bring the Cup back to America, but racing to bring American yachting back to the Cup,” then let’s incorporate American talent at the top levels instead of a Kiwi skipper who last raced for the Japanese team.

And no women on the NYYC AMERICAN MAGIC sailing team? I call shame and BS.

When AMERICAN MAGIC's skipper Terry Hutchinson was asked “why a Kiwi at the helm, and not an American” two years ago, he stated “not enough experience in the American ranks.” But wait, the current Match Racing World Champion is an American. And more than a few World Class women are making names for themselves. One in mind was recently named NYYC Sailor of the Year and received the coveted Mosbacher Trophy.

No worries, American Magic's AC-75 PATRIOT, costing a reported $10 million/race to sail, would probably capsize on its mooring here in front of CBC. And our local kelp fields would severely hamper its getting up on foils....But please, don't cut it up for hi-tech landfill like its discarded sister DEFIANT.
    Last edited by sleddog; 02-16-2021 at 10:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    I'd hoped to crew aboard a Wylie39 in the Corinthian.
    As a privileged peachie-colored woman, I am registered for the Corinthian. You are welcome to sail as my crew, and I will even let you drive a bit. I know you prefer those big fast boats, but sailing can be fun even on slow fat boats. Let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    As a privileged peachie-colored woman, I am registered for the Corinthian. You are welcome to sail as my crew, and I will even let you drive a bit. I know you prefer those big fast boats, but sailing can be fun even on slow fat boats. Let me know.
    Thanks, Philpott, I've committed to driving RUBY. If you'd consider swapping your 3 blade, solid prop, for a Martec, Max Prop, or equivalent, I'd be happy to crew in the future!

Two blade. 210 phrf. Bob's old racing sail. Biscotti. That's all I got to offer. It's better this way. My season standings would have suffered had you accepted.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    If you'd consider swapping your 3 blade, solid prop, for a Martec, Max Prop, or equivalent, I'd be happy to crew in the future!
    Couldn't you just make her mark her shaft, so that the 2 blade is in the shadow of the keel?

Quote Originally Posted by Intermission View Post
    Couldn't you just make her mark her shaft, so that the 2 blade is in the shadow of the keel?
    Name:  Cal-2-27.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  13.7 KB

Hi Intermission

A Cal 2-27 fixed (solid) prop is well aft of the keel and there is little, if any, hydrodynamic "shadow," and no reason to mark and align shaft, which is especially difficult before a shorthanded race.

Though Northern Calif. PHRF gifts 3 sec/mile for a fixed (solid) 2 blade and 6 sec/mile for a fixed (solid) 3 blade, the actual detriment to speed would be more fairly 3 minutes/mile and 6 minutes/mile.

A fixed (solid) prop for racing, especially one directly in front of the rudder, is equivalent to sailing with a dirty bottom. Any time the boat is down speed, as in tacks, and lighter winds < 15knots, boat speed and pointing ability suffers, and rudder efficiency is compromised.

It is only when the boat is fully powered up, as in a SF Bay summer afternoon breeze, that the 2 blade fixed (solid) prop can be competitive and only then if you are not tacking, or attempting to point.

That said, I am a advocate of 2 blade fixed (solid) props mostly for their utilitarian purpose. It's much less expensive, has zero moving parts to fail, and backs the boat smartly, three qualities which Martec (folding) fail. Max Props (feathering) do reverse well, and their drag is only slightly more than a folding prop. But they are hideously expensive.

One must remember to lock solid props either in gear or with a shaft lock when sailing at speed so they don't rotate. This has happened more than once on big race boats returning from Transpac who have substituted a fixed (solid) 3 blade cruising prop for the 2,500 mile delivery home.

One Santa Cruz 70 left Hono for LA and was close reaching at 10-12 knots when its 3 blade cruising prop started rotating in gear, pumping water into the engine. In short order, the engine would not run and they returned to Hono and had to replace the Yanmar 4 cylinder diesel. Such repairs and replacement, including downtime and yard bills, to get the boat home, end up being very expensive, nearing 6 figures.

Here's 2 prop stories of which I am intimately familiar. The Prime Minister of England had a new Ron Holland design, MORNING CLOUD, especially built for the Admiral's Cup. The boat proved abysmally slow, and eventually dropped out of a critical Admirals Cup Race, pretty much ending Edward Heath's storied sailing career. Ron took some heat. But it was then revealed MORNING CLOUD's 2 blade Max Prop, aligned and feathered behind the keel, wasn't feathering! It was like sailing around towing a bucket. This whole disappointing scenario could have been avoided had Ron stipulated a prop window in the design specs. Or a folding prop.

The second story is more uplifting. Darcy and Molly Whiting and family from New Zealand were cruising their Whiting 47 TEQUILA on a Pacific voyage to California and return. Darce had replaced their Martec folding prop with a 2 blade fixed (solid) prop. At sea, for some reason, the 2 blade fell off. No problem for them. They stopped at remote Palmyra Island for a week or two, during which time Darcy carved a new, 2 blade, solid prop out of a fallen ironwood tree. He even carved a spare! It worked so well, that when TEQUILA visited Santa Cruz months later, she still had the wood prop. And Darcy didn't go back to a bronze prop until they got home to Auckland. (I believe the ironwood prop is now a trophy in memory of Darcy Whiting, a unique character if there ever was one.)
    Last edited by sleddog; 02-16-2021 at 05:46 PM.

Another fantasy shattered.

Thanks, Skip.

My favorite Martec prop story...
    It must have been in the very early ‘80s when I went along on a sail check in Santa Cruz with my boss Jim Dewitt, as we had just completed and delivered the sails for a new Santa Cruz 50, one of the early Chardonnay charter boats. Under power, returning to the slip, which was way down by the bridge in a fairly tight spot for a boat that size, Bill Lee was at the helm.

We were approaching the bridge at a pretty good clip, passing the dock and raising some eyebrows aboard when Bill put it in reverse, nonchalantly stepped around the binnacle to face aft, and revved up the engine... a lot! And proceeded to back right into the slip without touching a fender. He then smiled and said, “Who says Martec props don’t back down?”

I was always a fan after that.

Tom K