Page 481 of 630 FirstFirst ... 381431471477478479480481482483484485491531581 ... LastLast
Results 4,801 to 4,810 of 6291

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Those are wonderful photos! Capsizing results in a mouth full of sand and a body of gravel scrapes? Where and when will Howard first race? I don't want to miss this.

The next event the Santa Cruz enthusiast are talking about is

June 14-18, Black Rock Desert Nevada

I am not sure I will be ready I need to finish the boat, assemble the trailer, and prep for a week of camping.
    Possible, but not likely.

I have been asked to supply pictures from multiple sources, but no mention of a camera crew.?

Quote Originally Posted by skatzman View Post
    why does a Manta Twin skipper sit in the leeward seat on a run? Or do they? One would think weight to windward to hold the boat down would be an advantage. This Manta Twin pilot sits to windward in an effort to keep the boat on its wheels on all points of sail. I was at Ivanpah in March and it rocked. At least the first 3 days of racing did. skatzman
    Sleddog, who was not at Ivanpah Dry Lake, replied crustily thus: "Would ask consideration of the possibility of sitting in the middle or to leeward on the Manta Twin when running thereby unloading the windward wheel. With attention, the windward wheel can be kept just flying and as a puff hits and the windward wheel begins to rise further, the skipper can bear off, riding the header down towards the leeward mark. The SOG is no faster than sitting to windward and power reaching to the corner jibe point. But the sailed distance to the leeward mark may be shortened significantly. My 2 Cents."

Little did Sleddog realize the Manta Twin current National Champion was lurking on his blog and called to give a further point of information. Basically what she said is thus:

2 wheels on the ground is nearly always slower…part b would be a physics problem. Train A leaves the windward mark at 14:32 seated on windward rail at full speed due west to a lay line point to gybe directly at the leeward mark full speed. Train B leaves the windward mark 8 seconds later at 14:40 and gybes generally in the direction of the leeward mark seated in the middle of the yacht. maintaining good speed but less than full speed, with luck and skill train B catches headers on the downwind run and reaches the leeward mark slower and at the same time as train A…. Thus leaving train B still in a disadvantaged situation…. There are two more problems to solve for train B in order to win against Train A.

And what minimum speed is required for train B to maintain in order to meet Train A at the leeward mark which is approximately 5280 feet mostly leeward away? How many headers of 5 knot added velocity at 30° are required assuming each lasts for 5 seconds? Math , it’s not just for navigators anymore…

My head is spinning. I think I need to hear more from Synthia, currently cruising in the US Virgin Islands on a 43 foot charter cat. Name:  Synthia.jpg
Views: 597
Size:  659.3 KB No DH Farallones Race to the Rockpile today for Synthia. Rumor is DHF was postponed to a future date in lieu of Storm Warnings on the course.

Name:  storm warning.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  4.5 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 04-09-2022 at 05:28 PM.

According to AIS, Wan Hai 176 is now coming in through the GGB, accompanied by 2 tugs.

Quote Originally Posted by hijan1 View Post
    According to AIS, Wan Hai 176 is now coming in through the GGB, accompanied by 2 tugs.
    Thanks, Steve and Jan. This was a near thing and WAN HAI 176 on AIS looks to be under tow into the Bay with her continuing loss of power. Apparently the container ship, outbound for Seattle, drifted 5 miles SE towards Pt. Reyes until her two anchors slowed and stopped the drift 7 miles NW of Chimney Rock in 40 fathoms depth. Had WAN HAI 176's crew not been able to get the anchors down, she could have gone on the bricks in just a few hours at a drift rate of 3-4 knots. Given the sea and wind state at the time, 15-20 feet breaking swells, and 35, gusting 60 knots, that could have rapidly become an ugly result.

Name:  snapshot2.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  167.4 KB

Name:  snapshot3.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  68.8 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 04-12-2022 at 06:25 PM.

I just started reading "Into The Raging Sea". I'm scared.

Quote Originally Posted by Tchoupitoulas View Post
    I just started reading "Into The Raging Sea". I'm scared.
    Serpent's Coil by Farley Mowat is an all time "what could possibly happen next?" favorite. How does a tugboat land in the middle of a golf course? Of course Once is Enough by Miles Smeeton is a true story, and SHTPacker John Guzzwell was aboard and lived to tell about it. The first time.
    Last edited by sleddog; 04-10-2022 at 10:38 PM.

Despite Marianne's boosting the price of Macapuno from $7 to $7.50 to $8.00 a quart in a week, the CBC trivia will still be featured on this Forum with the usual prize. What is going on in this photo other than the solar flares and a sunspot

Name:  Solar.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  240.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Despite Marianne's boosting the price of Macapuno from $7 to $7.50 to $8.00 a quart in a week, the CBC trivia will still be featured on this Forum with the usual prize. What is going on in this photo other than the solar flares and a sunspot

Name:  Solar.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  240.6 KB
    Passage of a sattelite?