Page 308 of 628 FirstFirst ... 208258298304305306307308309310311312318358408 ... LastLast
Results 3,071 to 3,080 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Okay. I'm inspired. Here's Pia Mater. This was in 2015 and since then the trailer tires have gone flat and the lemon tree has grown up and above her transom, so I have some work to do, but I'm in.

Name:  in the yard 060115.jpg
Views: 1338
Size:  576.7 KB

Tires are easy - they sell them at WM on the wheels, ready to go. What else does it need?

Webb Chiles hopes to leave Panama soon enroute San Diego. At 4 knots average, under sail alone, he hopes to take a month for 2844 straight line miles. That's dreaming, Sir. Headwinds, headcurrents, calms, no engine, Tehuantepeckers.
    He's provisioned for 2 months....Optimistic?

All this talk of older dinghy's reminds me of my first "restoration project", which involved extricating a Penguin dinghy my Dad had built in my Grandmothers basement some years before I appeared.
    He'd never actually sailed it, though he had by this point built 3 OK's that he was actively sailing...
    Classic case of "yeah, I think I measured the door before I started".
    Long story short; we did eventually get it out, and I learned how to unhinge and rehang a door in the process!

As I recall, I only actually sailed the Penguin a few times for one summer with a neighborhood friend... my parents OK's were much faster and fun.
    But it did serve to get us out on Lake Washington without asking permission or supervision...

The Snowbird sorta reminds me of the Penguin... both are cat boats, with a kickup center board and are about 12' long. No idea how they would compare performance wise.
    I've heard there were a lot of Penquin's sailing on the lake in the 60's, but I think the class size pales in comparison to the "flock of Snowbirds" down south...

Name:  Penquin 2.jpg
Views: 1279
Size:  96.1 KB

This calls for an aspirational pop-up dinghy race, somewhere over here (Potrero Reach) or over there (the Estuary). I don't think I've ever met a serious sailor who didn't have a second/smaller boat somewhere. So, maybe a hand count and then a bit of time to reconnoiter/rehabilitate? Perhaps this thread's namesake will even deign to come up yeah these vast miles of coast to either provide 1/ oversight or 2/ crew (for me, of course). People who don't actually have a baby boat can crew. And what shall we call it?

Bring the Baby Boat Ya Got Race. Somebody must have a clever little photo for the poster?

Sleddogs on strike!

Musher Nicolas Petit lost a huge lead in the Iditarod Race on Monday when his dog team refused to keep going after he yelled at one of the animals. A dog named Joey had been fighting with a younger dog on the team during a break on the way to the Bering Sea checkpoint of Koyuk when Petit stepped in.

“Joey was behind him, and he’s been kind of picking on him most of the trip, and he got a hold of him at one point … I yelled at Joey, and everybody heard the yelling, and that doesn’t happen,” Petit told the Iditarod Insider website. “And then they wouldn’t go anymore. Anywhere. So we camped here.”

Good for the dogs. When last heard from, their rebellion continued as team after team passed the one time leader.

Now WTF has been going on at Santa Anita Race Track? 21 horses dying in 2.5 months? Nobody in the know is saying why. "Situational" seems to be the only answer. What does that mean?

That Joey. He might get left home next time.

Your thread title made me anxious: “Whaaa? No Sleddog over coffee in the morning?” Then I remembered how you behave on boats. Sleddog is definitely the alpha male on most sailboats. Of course you would identify with Joey.

Sad news. Rick Srigley of Pebble Beach went overboard last evening from his Moore-24 MORPHEUS during the Monterey Peninsula Yacht Club Wed. Night Races. Although his crew was able to reach him, they were unable to pull him aboard. He was recovered by the Coast Guard which took him by ambulance to CHOMP hospital where he passed away. No further details. Fair Winds, Rick.

Happier news: Webb Chiles left Panama early this morning on the final leg of his circumnavigation onboard the Moore-24 GANNET. His destination is San Diego. Gannet's tracker pings every 6 hours. https://my.yb.tl/gannet

I think we're hijacking Sled's channel, but here's another. The Santa Rosa Sailing Club is planning an Estuary Sail on Saturday, June 15. Put in at the Grand Ave. launch ramp about 9:30, lunch at Jack London Square (free public dock), and haul out later in the afternoon. Any SSS dinghies are welcome to join in. Pat Broderick <broderic-at-sonic-dot-net>

Back to the thread. My first boat was a plywood "Melody." A 10-foot version of an El Toro - complete with bench seats! I raced on Santa Rosa lakes with the Santa Rosa Sailing Club - and was consistently last. Most sailors were kids at a 100# or so. Me, 32 years old and 160#. Towed it to the Delta for years and had lots of fun sailing the sloughs. I still have the mast as a flagpole.

Name:  MELODY.jpg
Views: 973
Size:  405.5 KB