Page 326 of 628 FirstFirst ... 226276316322323324325326327328329330336376426 ... LastLast
Results 3,251 to 3,260 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Name:  My Song5.jpg
Views: 1325
Size:  91.2 KB

The loss of the 130' superyacht MY SONG overboard off a cargo ship brings up all sorts of interesting questions. The shipping company, with its highly experienced team of loadmasters, is disclaiming any responsibility, laying the blame on the yacht owner and his crew.

Its unlikely we'll hear anything from the captain and crew of the cargo ship. Were they behind schedule and under pressure to carry on in face of adverse weather? What was the degree and frequency of roll, and what was direction and wind speed in relation to the ship's course?

The cradle certainly looks suspect, with no longitudinal or transverse support. We know how webbing stretches when wet or under high load..

The 184 foot mast is not visibly supported to the ship. Harmonic vibration exacerbating a delicate balance?

A lot of things had to go wrong at the same time for this expensive misadventure of MY SONG. Doggies.

Boats fall over for all sorts of interesting reasons.. Here's the SC-70 MONGOOSE at Santa Cruz. Difference from MY SONG is MONGOOSE landed on the owner's Porsche.

Name:  Mongoose 001.jpg
Views: 1266
Size:  178.9 KB

Name:  MY Song 6.jpeg
Views: 1125
Size:  1.35 MB
    Last edited by sleddog; 05-29-2019 at 09:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AntsUiga View Post
    I will pose this as a question. I guess an incentive to answer the question may be appropriate - a tour of the informal Bodfish Boatworks! No travel expenses are included, but hospitality come with the tour. Ants
    Ants, you have guessed correctly that this crowd makes no effort unless a prize is offered. However, it is one thing to drive to the Capitola Boat Club from the bay area, quite another to drive to .... Bodfish? Isn't that near Bakersfield? Holy cow, Ants! Something more specific, perhaps? Maybe Estonian delicacies? But don't even try this:

Name:  smoked fish.jpg
Views: 2016
Size:  197.4 KB

Because that would only draw disdain. Maybe this?

Name:  Semla.jpg
Views: 1583
Size:  168.1 KB

or certainly this:

Name:  beer.jpg
Views: 3453
Size:  194.2 KB

But you ARE competing with Skip and a latte, as well as these Capitola delicacies, to be found at one's feet in the sand:

Name:  unnamed.jpg
Views: 1043
Size:  327.7 KB

So I gently suggest that you up your game.

Quote Originally Posted by AntsUiga View Post
    I will pose this as a question. The Santa Cruz folks will find it an easy answer. But, I am curious about who initiated the design and build. What was the boat? It was 28 feet long and came out at the same time as the Express 27. The boat used the same mast as the express 27. However, many of the features of the current sport boats was part of this design - lifting daggerboard and open transom. It was built by C & B with a wooden multi-chine hull and had a molded fiberglass deck and cockpit. One boat was completed and sailed. A second one never quite made it out of the molds?
    Ants
    ??? It wasn't ISIS, the red Mull 30 we built at C&B (Chris and Bob Thompson) in 1979. ISIS was all wood and didn't have a lifting daggerboard or chines. The only other design I can think of is the Chuck Burns 30 SKIDOO built by Les Muttersbach at C&B in 1982-83, about the same time as the first Express-27 CATCHIT. After that, there's little resemblance to your description... a mystery boat until you or Alan H reveal the answer. Here's SKIDOO with her varnished transom:

Name:  Skidoo.jpg
Views: 1110
Size:  7.6 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 05-30-2019 at 07:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Name:  My Song5.jpg
Views: 1325
Size:  91.2 KB

The loss of the 130' superyacht MY SONG overboard off a cargo ship brings up all sorts of interesting questions. The shipping company, with its highly experienced team of loadmasters, is disclaiming any responsibility, laying the blame on the yacht owner and his crew. Its unlikely we'll hear anything from the captain and crew of the cargo ship. Were they behind schedule and under pressure to carry on in face of adverse weather? What was the degree and frequency of roll, and what was direction and wind speed in relation to the ship's course?

The cradle certainly looks suspect, with no longitudinal or transverse support. We know how webbing stretches when wet or under high load..The 184 foot mast is not visibly supported to the ship. Harmonic vibration exacerbating a delicate balance?
    Name:  My Song 7.jpg
Views: 1030
Size:  65.7 KB

Congrats to Nathalie, Synthia, and the crew of ENVOLEE for winning their Division in the Swiftsure Race! Winds were light to non-existent. 41 hours to go 100 miles. Synthia's photo of sunset the first night shows it all.

Name:  Swiftsure.jpg
Views: 1015
Size:  47.9 KB

ENVOLEE is now in Port Townsend undergoing refinement for the R2AK. The engine has been hoisted out with the main halyard and boxed up for shipment to Ketchikan. The pedal drives mounted ....Last year's winning crew SAIL LIKE A GIRL is berthed in the next slip over. The crews are having fun sticking adhesive faux carbon fiber vinyl tape all over their boats metal parts. Neither team knew the other was engaging in such psyching shenanigans until someone noticed.
    Only $11 a roll at Amazon. Wondrous.

Name:  envolee.jpg
Views: 1142
Size:  25.8 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 05-30-2019 at 06:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Congrats to Nathalie, Synthia, and the crew of ENVOLEE for winning their Division in the Swiftsure Race! Winds were light to non-existent. 41 hours to go 100 miles. Synthia's photo of sunset the first night shows it all.
    Ah yes, memories of my youth... there's a good reason the local moniker is Driftsure.

DH
    Last edited by DaveH; 05-31-2019 at 01:25 PM.

Re: post 3250
    I think I finally know one!

Howdy, I'm new to posting here, but been enjoying reading this thread for quite a while.

I'm guessing Mair 28, hull of 3/8 ply, and supposed to come out about 2400 pounds displacement, if I'm not mistaken. Lusted after that one for a long time, and Sleddog's description fits my memory.

David

David no_ballast got the answer!!
    The boat is the Mair28. I was the 2nd owner.
    I am currently traveling so more details to come.

Ants

Long, long ago, I remember an unfinished Mair 28 hull at Moore's Reef. It was multi-chine plywood
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

MY SONG, now a sad song, has been rescued. Amazing it didn't sink after falling off the ship. Her it is in Palma, Majorca, barely awash. Good job to the salvagers on the tug.

Name:  My Song 8.jpg
Views: 1113
Size:  126.3 KB

On a more uplifting note, there have been hundreds, if not thousands, of orange clad cyclists passing Capitola Boat Club in the last couple of hours on the Aids/Life Cycle ride from San Francisco to L.A.
    Yesterday they rode 82 miles of 545 miles total and camped nearby. Everyone seemed in good spirits under overcast skies. Today they are riding south to King City.

Name:  Lifecycle1.jpg
Views: 1122
Size:  101.3 KB

It will take a full week of riding to reach the finish, often a full day pedaling each day. Each rider must raise a minimum of $3,000. So far nearly $17 million has been raised.

https://www.aidslifecycle.org/