Page 276 of 628 FirstFirst ... 176226266272273274275276277278279280286326376 ... LastLast
Results 2,751 to 2,760 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    With the conclusion of the 2018 Singlehanded Transpac, those of us not at Tree Time in Hanalei are left with more questions than answers. What worked? What didn't? How would you do it differently?
    Since I'm more cruiser than racer, I won't comment on my performance getting to Hawaii, but I will mention that Don/Crinan gave me the fishing tackle that you raffled to our intrepid group. Don says it was the women in his family who fished and he wanted me to have it. Well, as luck would have it, one of my crew on the return fishes in Alaska so was keen to try it out about a week after leaving Hanalei. That hand line with the bungee and the "squid" lure worked incredibly well!! After we caught the first albacore (~30 pounds), which was after only an hour of soak time, and no sooner had I stowed the fillets do I hear "we caught another one!" It was even larger than the first. This one got released -- we had no more room in the ice box. About a week later, after we had eaten tuna for practically every single meal, the line went back out. This time, it took most of the night before we snagged another around 6 AM. It was the smallest of them all, maybe just a 20-pounder. The only downside is that no one remembered to close the portlight in the cockpit that is directly over my berth. Why I have a portlight there is beyond me. My berth was soaked and my foulies smelled like fish blood for days. Or maybe they still smell like fish blood and I just got used to it...

Thanks, Skip!! That was pretty cool

Name:  First albacore_7-24-18.jpg
Views: 1192
Size:  296.3 KB

Name:  Second albacore_7-24-18.jpg
Views: 805
Size:  367.7 KB

Name:  Terriaki tuna steaks.jpg
Views: 993
Size:  503.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Who would have guessed a worn and asymmetrical zinc anode mounted mid-shaft can create unbalance in a propeller shaft? Lesson learned for those with propeller shafts: make sure the boatyard, or person responsible, mounts the new prop shaft zinc 1-3" in front of the Cutless bearing of the strut rather than mid-shaft.
    OH?!?! I've been doing it wrong all these years. This might explain that shake in the prop shaft even after I had it trued! Dang.

Wow!

That is some great looking, and tasting I bet, fish.

I don't envy your smelly gear though.!

Man am I glad I didn't see that fish fry photo while I was out there. I'd have been consumed with jealousy.

Hal and Margaret Roth were prolific writers and photographers. I'm sure many have enjoyed their books, sometimes focused on misadventures, such as being shipwrecked near Cape Horn...

I'm guessing it was 1983 or 1984 when there was a knock at the door. I was greeted by a smallish individual with a Down East accent and grumpish manner..without even an introduction, he got straight to the point. "I want you to help me build a boat for the Around-the-World Race."

"OK," I replied. "What do you want and when?"

"One of those 50 footers you race downwind. I think you call them sleds. I want it as soon as possible"

"Coming right up," I sarcastically replied, matching his mannerism. "What did you say your name is?"

"Hal Roth."

I dialed the phone to Bill Lee. "Hey Bill, a gentleman here named Hal Roth wants to take us to lunch and order a custom Santa Cruz 50 for the Around-the-World Race. Can you meet us at the Crow's Nest in half an hour?."

I have to hand it to Hal Roth. Over lunch, he and Bill Lee negotiated the purchase of a custom SC-50 that Hal Roth would finish off himself. I choked over some of the details. For example, the cockpit was to be as deep as Mr. Roth was tall. "You're gonna need a stepladder to get out of there," I said dryly.
    "Won't be," he growled. "I'm not getting on deck. Everything leads to the cockpit." *(see photo below for how that turned out.)

Hal also wanted water ballast. Lots of it.

Hal Roth's Santa Cruz 50, #28, was launched two years later, the next to last Santa Cruz 50 built. He named her AMERICAN FLAG. Shortly after, AMERICAN FLAG became a shoe, SEBAGO, after Hal Roth's favorite topsider moccasin.

For dinner and history walk at the Capitola Boat Club, here's four questions.

Hal Roth completed 3 circumnavigations T/F
    Hal Roth capsized his Santa Cruz 50 in the Indian Ocean, re-righted, and kept on sailing. T/F
    Hal Roth completed two non-stop circumnavigations. T/F
    Hal Roth's Santa Cruz 50 was first-to-finish a Singlehanded Transpac. T/F

Name:  hal roth.jpg
Views: 931
Size:  43.7 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 08-13-2018 at 02:30 PM.

Hi Skip,

Hal and Margret Roth were and are my hero's. While some in my group really idolized Lin & Larry, and the go simple ethos, I felt more of a connection to the Roths, and the way they sailed. I got to meet my hero's at Jack London Sq boatshow.

!. T Two single handed w/ the BOC, one w/ Margaret via the Red sea.
    2. T
    3. F
    4.T

The 50th Anniversary, solo non-stop, around the world, Sunday Times Golden Globe Race is underway. 17 skippers started from Les Sables d’Olonne on Sunday July 1, 2018, expecting to take 9-10 months to circumnavigate. Entrants are restricted to using the same type of yachts, navigation, and equipment that were available in that first race, 1968-69, with the premise being to keep the race within financial reach of every dreamer. No modern electronic nav aids.

The rules allow for one breach of the strict solo, non-stop un-assisted circumnavigation. However, those that do breach are relegated to the Chichester Class as if, like Sir Francis Chichester in 1966-67, they have made one stop during their solo circumnavigation.

Yesterday, Day 44, of the currently running Golden Globe, French sailor Philippe Péché, who has led the Golden Globe Race almost continuously since the start, now is reportedly in a race for "survival." (Not my description.)

Péché alerted Race Headquarters that the tiller on his Rustler 36 PRB had broken. But his problems began earlier in the week when the actuating arm on his Beaufort wind vane self-steering system sheared off.

Peche made attempts to repair the wind vane with a spare tube from his telescoping aluminum tiller But then the main tiller snapped in 45-50 knot winds and Pechee had no emergency tiller remaining.

Having now fashioned a repair to the aluminum tiller, but without self-steering, Peche has decided to head to Cape Town under reduced sail, likely taking him out of the race. The 57-year old French professional from La Trinité Sur Mer was making 2.9 knots in 25 knot headwinds and expecting to take 13 to 17 days to reach the Cape.

Péché made the emergency call to the Golden Globe Race HQ using a satellite phone all competitors carry for use in such situations. Skippers are free to call Race HQ and emergency services at any time, but under the strict rules of this retro non-stop round the world race, can only contact the greater world by radio.

But Péché then made a second call to his partner, having told Race HQ, “I am going to call my partner and I do not care about the consequences.”

Don McIntyre, the Race Chairman confirmed today: “The situation is that Philippe is now in the Chichester Class as if he had made one stop. So if he now pulls in to Cape Town that would be a second infringement and he would be out of the Race altogether." -

For the want of a spare tiller? Geez, Louise.

That was Anna Stockel's "Sundowner." I sailed a couple of times with her in full-crewed Bay races - beer canners in a S. C. 50 with water ballast tanks that almost filled up the interior! She wasn't using the tanks, but it was weird to go below - like walking thru a narrow hallway to the main part of the cabin. I have a photo of a HMB race winners with Anna standing beside me. I sailed my Newport 30 and she sailed the S. C. 50. She could sail the boat!

Quote Originally Posted by robtryon View Post
    Hi Skip,

!. T Two single handed w/ the BOC, one w/ Margaret via the Red sea.
    2. T
    3. F
    4.T
    Rob nailed it

Question 2 is True. SEBAGO did capsize in Roth's second BOC race. But was not dismasted. He came upright with just the storm jib, and continued sailing...

Question 3's answer is False, as both Hal Roth's W-E circumnavigations were in BOC Races, which made stops at Cape Town, Sydney, and Brazil.

Question 4's answer is True as detailed in the above post by WYLIEGUY. Roth's Santa Cruz 50 became Anna Stockel's SUNDOWNER and she was first-to-finish the 2000 SHTP.

Name:  Sundowner.jpg
Views: 773
Size:  3.3 KB

Congratulations, Rob. I look forward to hosting you and LaDonna here at the Capitola Boat Club. If you wish to join Rob, LaDonna, and me, correctly answer the following question:

Out of 296 Singlehanded Transpac finishers since 1978, who is the only one to cross the Hanalei Finish under full fishing rig, with reduced sail to allow mahi-mahi to fetch his/her colorful plastic squid being towed astern?
    Last edited by sleddog; 08-15-2018 at 02:17 PM.

LD here. We're looking forward to dinner soon! With our 'little' boat in the Bay Area, we drive up about once a month. Sounds like it's time for a drive up the beach instead of stinky I-5. But tell me...does CBC's menu offer mahi? ;-)