Page 406 of 628 FirstFirst ... 306356396402403404405406407408409410416456506 ... LastLast
Results 4,051 to 4,060 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Extensive repair going on aboard Alex Thomson's HUGO BOSS in the Vendee Globe. The breakage in the bow area was major. HB did not hit anything. It was an engineering and/or operator error failure caused by either falling off a wave while foiling at 30 knots, or over tensioning the halyard on a masthead jib that caused the longitudinal support to break in many places. Fortunately the breakage was discovered before HB came apart and sank.

https://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/news/...oss-in-a-video

Good news is though he dropped from 1st to now 400 miles behind the leaders, the major part of the repair is complete and AT is back in the race while he finishes the repair and clean up. Good going!

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/ind...-2020/&page=44
    Last edited by sleddog; 11-23-2020 at 03:35 PM.

Pure speculation on my part, but I'm reasonably sure they have load cells on the fore stay, and probably even on the un-stayed foresails.
    I wonder if the sequence went sort of like;
    "hmmm, the load cell tells me I should be seeing xxxlbs of load in this configuration... but when I wind more on nothing happens. better go check on that... holy sh*t!!"

Regardless, deep respect for having the materials and wherewithal to identify and fix it mid ocean. Even with the phone-a-friend assistance from the engineers.
    I don't imagine getting the epoxy to set is all that easy inside a humid box, although perhaps the heat would help?

[QUOTE=[I]DaveH;27956]Pure speculation on my part, but I'm reasonably sure they have load cells on the fore stay, and probably even on the un-stayed foresails. I wonder if the sequence went sort of like;
    "hmmm, the load cell tells me I should be seeing xxxlbs of load in this configuration... but when I wind more on nothing happens. better go check on that... holy sh*t!!"
    [/I] /QUOTE]

I'm seem to recall something similar happening on BRAVURA in the 1990 Kenwood Cup off Honolulu. There was grousing forward from the America's Cup tactician that the old fart in the back of the boat wasn't getting the running backstays tight enough. Echoed the Olympic Gold medalist at the helm, "I want the head stay straighter, give it another 1,000 pounds."

"Are you sure, Robbie?" replied myself.

"Damn it, Yes!" says the driver.

"OK," says I as I put my back into the runner winch handle.

Simultaneously, the headstay pulls out of the mast, the mast bends dangerously aft, and the boom gently comes to rest in the driver's lap.

"Is that tight enough Robbie?" says I.
    Last edited by sleddog; 11-24-2020 at 02:14 PM.

^^now THAT is a sea story^^

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Regardless, deep respect for having the materials and wherewithal to identify and fix it mid ocean. Even with the phone-a-friend assistance from the engineers.
    I don't imagine getting the epoxy to set is all that easy inside a humid box, although perhaps the heat would help?
    and here's the answer

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Good news is though HUGO BOSS dropped from 1st to now 400 miles behind the leaders, the major part of the repair is complete and AT is back in the race while he finishes the repair and clean up. Good going!
    Good news for Alex Thomson didn't last long. With the front of HUGO BOSS repaired, the back end has come adrift and the starboard rudder "damaged and disconnected," ending his race. HUGO BOSS is now officially out of the Vendee Globe and headed for Cape Town. Surprised there is no spare aboard. In this event, "too heavy" is not always relevant. What does a complete spare steering system weigh? 200 pounds?

Surprised there is no spare aboard. In this event, "too heavy" is not always relevant. What does a complete spare steering system weigh? 200 pounds?
    I was thinking similar thoughts.
    Didn't he damage the foil in the last boat/race so that he was only fast on one side before he overslept? The foils are way too big to store or handle, but a spare rudder blade or two? Don't the rudders have a sacrificial weak link to prevent catastrophe?
    Then he damaged this keel and didn't get in as much practice time as hoped for.
    And the recent bow repair.

Are the engineer's pencils too sharp for the Sea?
    The Sea is my Church; the Boat is my Pew.

Good news for Alex Thomson didn't last long. With the front of HUGO BOSS repaired, the back end has come adrift and the starboard rudder "damaged and disconnected," ending his race. HUGO BOSS is now officially out of the Vendee Globe and headed for Cape Town. Surprised there is no spare aboard. In this event, "too heavy" is not always relevant. What does a complete spare steering system weigh? 200 pounds?
    Name:  hugoboss.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  78.5 KB

Yes, HB's rudders are "fused" and meant to kick up...Too bad their multi-million dollar design team didn't employ AlanH and solosailor to build them a good emergency rudder. If they had, HUGO BOSS would likely still be racing.
    Last edited by sleddog; 11-30-2020 at 12:26 PM.

That's right! I could build them a nice, lumpy fir core e-rudder that would probably start humming at about 10 knots, turn into a tuning fork at 12, and vibrate itself into an explosion at 16! LOL
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Life or death activity just now in Vendee Globe as 3rd place PRB has filled and presumably sunk 550 miles SW of Cape Town. Her skipper, Kevin Escoffier, has abandoned ship to a raft. 4 other competitors have approached the vicinity. It's dark, windy, with 5 meter seas..The search is on.

Name:  PRB.jpg
Views: 749
Size:  66.2 KB

https://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/news
    Last edited by sleddog; 11-30-2020 at 05:24 PM.

and of course who rescues him?

Jean Le Cam!

Bravo Zulu