Page 366 of 628 FirstFirst ... 266316356362363364365366367368369370376416466 ... LastLast
Results 3,651 to 3,660 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Alex Thomson on the previous Hugo Boss, had the battery on his shock alarm wrist watch run down, and put the boat on the rocks, after leading the leg of the race.
    The Sea is my Church; the Boat is my Pew.

This from a friend contemplating a cruise down the coast:

"The hidey hole I wish I knew, is Pfeiffer. But I won't go in without a fisherman, or someone like Skip, showing it to me. Knowing Pfeiffer would break up the slog back up from San Simeon to Stillwater. Or prevent me from running all the way back to Morro when I couldn't get past Pt. Sur"

Though cursed by many stuck in their cars with Highways 17 and 1 closed, as well as many local streets, because of fallen trees and live wires, yesterday was a splendiforus time here in Capitola-In-The-Sea.

The gusty offshore, NNE, breeze began ramping up before sunrise with the passage of a dry front, reminding of when we were kids attempting to sail in 30 knot S.Cal. Santana winds so we could get our heavy dinghies to plane...

The dawn sky was clear, the full moon setting to the west, as I caught a double green flash at sunrise over the mountains above San Juan Batista. That was only the beginning as wind conditions built, catching even the National Weather Service in Monterey off guard for their local Monterey Bay area, apparently not wanting to overly concern the big golf tournament final round at Pebble Beach.

By 10 a.m power was out, but PG&E robo-called to console by reporting CBC's address was one of 8,657 addresses without power. Guessing PG&E wouldn't get power back any time soon, I shifted center of ops a few steps to 22 foot WILDFLOWER's nav station, which had battery power, solar panels, inverter, galley, composting toilet, radio, and cockpit view of the action.

Name:  310 7.jpg
Views: 1337
Size:  386.9 KB

Flying patio furniture, capsizing trash cans, leaves and branches became the order of the day as gusts reached estimated 40 knots. Hoisting the main triple reefed for practice would have been unwise, even with my little ship well lashed to her trailer.

NPR news was featuring interviews with residents about the "King" high tide's assault on local beach homes. Despite having a "Tsunami Area" sign just down the street, elevation here is 85 feet. Yet it was surprising none of the half-mile long tunnel of 90-130 foot eucalyptus along Park Ave. blew down.

By late afternoon the wind had subsided to 5, gusting 20 knots, and the incipient low tide was approaching -1.3 feet, properly called a "spring tide," not a "king tide," as news outlets like to misnomer. Surfers were enjoying the offshore breeze holding up shoulder high waves for nice tube rides. PG&E called again to say power had been restored, even though it had not...

An orange pumpkin moon rose at 6:30 pm and I walked back to WILDFLOWER replaying in my mind's eye all that had happened during our Santana event. Where did all the birds, especially the thousands of local crows, go to hang as their usual eucalyptus were waving 20 feet back and forth?

It didn't seem to stop Andre', the local Anna's hummingbird, who was enjoying riding his willow branch like a bucking bronc. Name:  Andre11.jpg
Views: 1351
Size:  363.7 KB

At 7 pm, PG&E called back for a third time to tell me my power was out, affecting 1,329 customers, not 5 minutes after the power finally came back on for good.
    Last edited by sleddog; 02-10-2020 at 09:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    This from a friend contemplating a cruise down the coast:

"The hidey hole I wish I knew, is Pfeiffer. But I won't go in without a fisherman, or someone like Skip, showing it to me. Knowing Pfeiffer would break up the slog back up from San Simeon to Stillwater. Or prevent me from running all the way back to Morro when I couldn't get past Pt. Sur"
    That location is more commonly known as WRECK BEACH. it’s actually indicated as an anchorage on charts. There’s a good description in Brian Fagan’s book CALIFORNIA COASTAL PASSAGES. It’s only viable with wind from the N to NW, or no wind at all and even then an anchor watch would be recommended. Dive boats use it as an anchorage when diving Point Sur and Schmieder Bank. Just ask my Sue.

Another option where fishing boats and dive boats go is south of Lopez Point.
    Tom P.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    That location is more commonly known as WRECK BEACH. it’s actually indicated as an anchorage on charts. There’s a good description in Brian Fagan’s book CALIFORNIA COASTAL PASSAGES. It’s only viable with wind from the N to NW, or no wind at all and even then an anchor watch would be recommended. Dive boats use it as an anchorage when diving Point Sur and Schmieder Bank. Just ask my Sue. Another option where fishing boats and dive boats go is south of Lopez Point.
    hahahaha! Thanks, Tom! THAT'S where I want to anchor! Wreck Beach! Good to know about Lopez Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    hahahaha! Thanks, Tom! THAT'S where I want to anchor! Wreck Beach! Good to know about Lopez Point.
    Tom is correct. Pfeiffer Pt. is 7 miles southeast of Pt. Sur. I've poked in there a couple of times, even anchored once for 30 minutes. The bottom is foul with poor holding. Swell wraps around the point making it rolly. And the pebbly beach just astern, called "Wreck Beach" on the charts, is littered with the remains of yachts that have washed up there.

Monterey Peninsula YC held a cruise in there once. I think one boat showed up

Lopez Point, 24 miles south of Pt. Sur, has a somewhat sheltered anchorage in 30 feet behind the kelp with a sand bottom, Lopez Pt. bearing 287, distance 1 mile. This spot is used by a few local fish boats as an overnight rest. It should not be approached except in daylight with the depth sounder working.

Personally, I would pass by any anchorage on the Big Sur Coast, preferring to heave-to on an offshore tack for a nap when north bound. The best time to pass Pt. Sur north bound is early morning. The breeze begins to make up by noon, and increases as you get offshore more than .5 mile. It is not uncommon to see 20-30 knots approaching Pt. Sur. Why the lighthouse keepers kept their chickens and children on tethers.

Once past Pt.Sur the NW wind diminishes within 5 miles of shore as it lifts to pass over the Coast Range.
    Last edited by sleddog; 02-10-2020 at 03:30 PM.

Andre, Riding out the gale on his favorite stick, is the high point of my week!!
    Thank you.

Glad to hear about Andre also.

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do: Escape insanity gripping our nation.

Prepped for off the grid, 25 miles from the nearest store, Annie and I towed her canned ham, RUBY, 2.5 hours south to a favorite refuge at 36-42 N x 120-52 W.

Name:  Ruby19.jpg
Views: 1147
Size:  1.16 MB

Empty surrounding hills were swells of spongy grass, good for hiking. 3 miles southwest lay seldom visited pinnacles where a Golden Eagle had built a nest.

Name:  Mercey 5.jpg
Views: 977
Size:  665.7 KB
    Name:  Mercy 20.jpg
Views: 1142
Size:  813.5 KB

The spring fed oasis had water of 100 degrees in its pool and tubs. Overhead were a pair of Great Horned owls, hooting love struck infatuation at all hours.

Name:  Mercey 15.jpg
Views: 1230
Size:  477.4 KB

And the moonless and dark night sky was covered with God's wallpaper of stars.
    All photos by Annie.
    Last edited by sleddog; 02-12-2020 at 04:49 PM.

Name:  Hank.JPG
Views: 2787
Size:  79.5 KB

This fine little ship is not for sale, and I'm not an agent. Just helping an old friend pass his sweet 26' x 1,800 pound racer/cruiser along for free to someone who will use and lovingly care for her as he did for 42 years.

Sistership won Pac Cup overall. "Rates same as Moore-24 but faster downwind." Chines and Brunzeel construction with glass over.

E-mail your phone and interest and I'll put you in touch. skipallanatsbcglobaldotnet