Page 577 of 628 FirstFirst ... 77477527567573574575576577578579580581587627 ... LastLast
Results 5,761 to 5,770 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Quote Originally Posted by Intermission View Post
    I'll try #7 Tabarly.
    Hi Intermission. Eric Tabarly is a good guess, but not the correct answer either. Try again tomorrow unless someone gets it before. The answer is not rocket science like the below photo of Bruce McCandless untethered in space, 320 feet from CHALLENGER in 1984.

Name:  Rocket Science.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  55.5 KB

Sam's sighting of a badger on Morro Spit still has me chuckling in wonder. Badgers do like digging:

Name:  badger.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  116.9 KB

Sled doggies, I'll say the Kite flew uphill, #4

Since Bob just stole my first guess, I will say #1

AT CBC the rumor I heard, is that was the bear at Morro rock! (#2)

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Spruit View Post
    AT CBC the rumor I heard, is that was the bear at Morro rock! (#2)
    Loose Lips Sink Ships. I assign myself a 720 degree penalty turn for sharing with Howard at High Tea the story of the wayward black bear's attempt to climb Morro Rock.

Name:  Morro Rock Bear.jpeg
Views: 685
Size:  108.2 KB

Initially, the bear was not darted for fear it would fall in the water. Everything went well in the end: The nearby high school underwent lockdown. The sleeping bear was lowered in a rescue basket and relocated back in the woods. I do believe bears and badgers are related.

Next time at Morro Bay, I highly recommend the new Mexican restaurant La Katrina, across the street from Morro Bay YC. Excellent food, reasonable prices, friendly people. And if you are at Morro Rock on either of the solstices, local Chumash and Salinan youth reportedly summit Morro Rock in a rite-of-passage.

Name:  montana de Oro Katrina.jpg
Views: 697
Size:  1.10 MB
    Last edited by sleddog; 05-14-2023 at 05:41 PM.

Default bzzz,..zap!

We do enjoy your quizzes as well as the often wacky choices you tender. And the answers are entertaining as well.

So, in answer to your local question in Morro Bay t'other day, I believe that if you or I (or the cow) were to amble over to that electrified fence wire, we would "enjoy" a jolt if we touched the wire because we, being mainly highly-conductive water, would provide a path for the current to "go to ground". The bird in question, alighting upon a single wire would not be jolted (no ground). However, on occasion, large birds such as eagles, vultures , etc. an be jolted if they stretch out a wing or a foot to a nearby parallel wire and complete a circuit. The efforts to prevent this by the power people can be sometimes observed when you see a triangular obstruction projecting upward from the top of the pole, which is supposed to deter said large bird from alighting and getting toasted.

"Fractured Fairy Tales", courtesy of Mr. Peabody?

Name:  Perch-guard-combined-with-broad-top-shed-to-protect-insulator-from-bird-streamers.jpg
Views: 690
Size:  334.4 KB
    Last edited by MAGICdreamer; 05-14-2023 at 09:08 PM. Reason: clarification of location

Quote Originally Posted by MAGICdreamer View Post
    We do enjoy your quizzes as well as the often wacky choices you tender. And the answers are entertaining as well.

So, in answer to your local question in Morro Bay t'other day, I believe that if you or I (or the cow) were to amble over to that electrified fence wire, we would "enjoy" a jolt if we touched the wire because we, being mainly highly-conductive water, would provide a path for the current to "go to ground". The bird in question, alighting upon a single wire would not be jolted (no ground). However, on occasion, large birds such as eagles, vultures , etc. an be jolted if they stretch out a wing or a foot to a nearby parallel wire and complete a circuit. The efforts to prevent this by the power people can be sometimes observed when you see a triangular obstruction projecting upward from the top of the pole, which is supposed to deter said large bird from alighting and getting toasted.

"Fractured Fairy Tales", courtesy of Mr. Peabody?

Name:  Perch-guard-combined-with-broad-top-shed-to-protect-insulator-from-bird-streamers.jpg
Views: 690
Size:  334.4 KB
    I have seen those and wondered what they were. Makes perfect sense- thanks for the explanation !

MAGIC DREAMERS: Thanks for the explanation of the electric fences possibly zapping birds on PG&E property where we were hiking at MdO. My suspicion level was on alert. The PG&E guards were on their alert also. After signing in for our walk (available Thurs-Monday) we were asked if we carried drones. Then told the trail along the bluff near the end was overgrown, rattlesnakes had been reported, and "best to turn around at Windy Point."

As you know, someone of repute built, and then removed a year later, a full on, New England style, lighthouse along this section of beautiful coast. Do any readers know of this? Has something to do with a dragon?.
    Last edited by sleddog; 05-15-2023 at 07:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    MAGIC DREAMERS: Thanks for the explanation of the electric fences possibly zapping birds on PG&E property where we were hiking at MdO. My suspicion level was on alert. The PG&E guards were on their alert also. After signing in for our walk (available Thurs-Monday) we were asked if we carried drones. Then told the trail along the bluff near the end was overgrown, rattlesnakes had been reported, and "best to turn around at Windy Point."

As you know, someone of repute built, and then removed a year later, a full on, New England style, lighthouse along this section of beautiful coast. Do any readers know of this? Has something to do with a dragon?.
    My absolute guess is William Randolph Hearst