Page 525 of 628 FirstFirst ... 25425475515521522523524525526527528529535575625 ... LastLast
Results 5,241 to 5,250 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

On my sunrise walk, I found the Capitola Wharf closed, and three, large U-Haul trucks backed up onto the Wharf unloading hundreds of pounds of explosives. If in the neighborhood of CBC this evening, you are invited to watch it blow from a front row seat. There will be food trucks in the vicinity for the event.

Name:  capitolamonte.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  137.6 KB

https://www.santacruz.org/upcoming-e...-extravaganza/
    Last edited by sleddog; 10-09-2022 at 08:25 AM.

Great Picture and beautiful weather ! What is the occasion of the fireworks- Columbus Day ?

Quote Originally Posted by MillyB View Post
    Great Picture and beautiful weather ! What is the occasion of the fireworks- Columbus Day ?
    Hereabouts, at least in Berkeley, Columbus Day is no longer cause for celebration. Instead Monday is referred to as Indigenous Peoples Day. A paid federal holiday. No fireworks. I love fireworks. Will you photograph them for us, Skip? This forum can use some excitement!

our pet Dogs and Cats HATE fireworks, Many pet owners buy and administer tranquilizers for their animals.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Sleddog appreciates photos, whether of schooners with a bone in their teeth, sailmaking, pretty sunrises and sunsets, cats, dogs, dirtboats, motorcycles You name it, we don't discriminate.
    A small glimpse into how I spent my summer between Port Townsend and Juneau, AK

Codville Lagoon, British Columbia, Canada
    Name:  DFA4CC2B-04CB-48F0-8082-DC51E586F3B8.jpeg
Views: 492
Size:  312.4 KB
    Name:  3C676765-7026-4B4A-9661-538BD74080BA.jpeg
Views: 477
Size:  309.1 KB
    Tom P.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Spruit View Post
    our pet Dogs and Cats HATE fireworks, Many pet owners buy and administer tranquilizers for their animals.
    I hear you Port Captain Spruit. This fireworks display has nothing to do with Columbus Day nor any holiday. It is donated by the Monte Foundation to raise money. and is site specific to the Wharf only. Local bars and restaurants donate a portion of their evening profits to a fund supporting local schools. I doubt residents or animals of Live Oak will hear anything. Let me know. I have our mayor on speed dial.

The fireworks last half hour, 7:30-8:00. As it is city run, it is intended to make people feel good. There are no booms before or after. Not like Ukraine where your life is at stake at all hours. I'll be present and accounted for at sunrise tomorrow helping clean up the detritus off Main Beach.
    Last edited by sleddog; 10-09-2022 at 03:49 PM.

Aha. Skip, you didn't mention fireworks at first. Before I scrolled down, I got the impression that they intended to blow up the wharf!

Max

Quote Originally Posted by Critter View Post
    Aha. Skip, you didn't mention fireworks at first. Before I scrolled down, I got the impression that they intended to blow up the wharf! Max
    Hi Max, The fireworks went off on schedule. The audio part had plenty of volume. However the visual part was lacking. Someone forgot to turn off the fog machine. The glow of $30,000 of bombs bursting in fog may have been lost on the audience.

Name:  MarMonte.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  2.24 MB

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    The audio part had plenty of volume. However the visual part was lacking. Someone forgot to turn off the fog machine.
    Same here. I just spent three afternoons on the central Bay trying to give charter clients decent views of the Fleet Week air shows, mostly to no avail. We could hear the jets and occasionally we saw a good fly-over, but that was it. Karl (the Fog) ruined the show.

Oh, dear. That is a shame about the fireworks in Capitola.

On Friday I drove over to Marina Green and had a wonderful day talking with the soldiers who were all there being nice to people. I took photos (with permission) of kids climbing up into huge armoured vehicles.

Name:  DSC00319 - Copy.JPG
Views: 384
Size:  418.2 KB

Encouraged by the soldiers, most of whom were not much older than the kids themselves, the teeniest of children leaned on the horns and revved the engines, tried on helmets and were generally having a splendid time. There were thousands of people there and we saw some of the Blue Angels' show. Those jets go so fast I couldn't figure out how to focus fast enough!

Name:  DSC00364 - Copy.JPG
Views: 470
Size:  170.0 KB

It was a splendid day, although very cold.

Today, though, was a different thing altogether. Sailed out, reefed when I saw how the boats in the slot were heeling, and sloshed around alot in the 4 knot ebb meeting up with the wind through the gate. Too bad about the fog. I hove to for about 30 minutes waiting, then heard over the vhf that the show was cancelled.

Interesting about heaving to on the bay today: Several sailboats sailed over our way to see if DM and I were in distress. I just wanted to stop and watch, out of the way.
    Last edited by Philpott; 10-09-2022 at 10:24 PM.