Page 524 of 628 FirstFirst ... 24424474514520521522523524525526527528534574624 ... LastLast
Results 5,231 to 5,240 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

OH MY! To be on the water again in Tomales Bay! Well, DM and I will go up there again some day. It is a splendid place. Let's stop writing about it, lest the crowds descend.

Name:  Daybreak on Tomales Bay 092922.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  196.4 KB

I was in Tomales Bay days before your races. The view is different from a hotel room. Stayed at the Tomales Bay Resort with the Voice of Reason. This photo is from daybreak on 092922.
    Last edited by Philpott; 10-03-2022 at 11:46 AM.

Great weekend and great report Sled !!! The Eelgrass was a complete bummer for me in the first race on Sat, but after we backed down between races and a bale of " hay" fell off my rudder, we had a better outing for the second race. Great BBQ, good party and excellent racing for sure. Yes- it is a stunning place to sail.

Beautiful pic Jackie !!!! Come up and go sailing !

Sleddog appreciates photos, whether of schooners with a bone in their teeth, sailmaking, pretty sunrises and sunsets, cats, dogs, dirtboats, motorcycles You name it, we don't discriminate.

Dan and Linda Newland were at Sucia Island recently with their cat and parrot. Dan caught these sunrise photos below. The first is looking east at Mt.Baker in the left background. The second is the same view just after sunrise, but with fog.

Name:  Mt.Baker1.jpg
Views: 572
Size:  1.00 MB

Name:  Mt. Baker2.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  992.1 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 10-04-2022 at 05:56 PM.

That is a very beautiful area !

Huge congrats to Bay Area sailor and racer John Clauser of Walnut Creek being awarded the Nobel Prize Tuesday for his landmark achievements in quantum mechanics beginning 50 years ago! In 1972 as a graduate student at Cal Berkeley, like the sailor he is, John used duct tape and spare parts in a UC Berkeley basement to prove one of Einstein’s theories was wrong. “Quantum mechanics made correct predictions and Einstein's point of view was wrong,” said our sailing friend.

And kudos to CBC Port Captain Howard Spruit returning safely from Smith Creek in the high desert of Central Nevada, the site of the "Holy Gale" dirt boat championships. It was Howard's first attempt at sailing his homebuilt Mini-Skeeter land yacht and he reported some steep learning. One was his old work shoes were no match for expensive track shoes to get a good push-off at the start. Second is the difficulty in judging true wind speed, direction, and shifts on a featureless playa salt flat. And thirdly is the fear factor of boats approaching at a combined speed of 60 knots and higher. His trip inland sounded like quite the adventure for an 80 year old saltwater sailor. You can hear more of Howard's stories at "High Tea" at CBC on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday afternoons.....
    Last edited by sleddog; 10-05-2022 at 07:11 AM.

Our beloved Ants of Bodfish probably has more combined waterline in his navy than any other SSSer. Here is a fine photo of Ant's WEE LASSIE above the regulating dam between Lake Thomas Edison and Mono Hot Springs in the Southern Sierra. The fly rod was in the hand that was not holding the camera.

Name:  Wee Lassie.JPG
Views: 489
Size:  1.33 MB

What a gorgeous canoe, Ants !!!! Did you build her ?

Quote Originally Posted by MillyB View Post
    What a gorgeous canoe, Ants !!!! Did you build her ?
    I sometimes see the wisdom of buying watercraft ready to use, rather than building or restoring. The Wee Lassie was built by David Barrett, a superb craftsman who does beautiful work in wood and metal. The dark colored redwood is from recycled winery tanks from Napa when the storage tanks went from wood to stainless steel.

I appreciate diversity in watercraft and apparently have the space to collect. The 14 watercraft have a combined length of about 183 feet. Five watercraft are on trailers. Four are inflatable. There are a pair of stand up paddleboards (Marsha’s contribution to the collection, as well as her inflatable kayak).

There is also a second driftboat, but it is in the building queue, and does not count in the total.

Ants

Quote Originally Posted by AntsUiga View Post
    I sometimes see the wisdom of buying watercraft ready to use, rather than building or restoring. The Wee Lassie was built by David Barrett, a superb craftsman who does beautiful work in wood and metal. The dark colored redwood is from recycled winery tanks from Napa when the storage tanks went from wood to stainless steel.

I appreciate diversity in watercraft and apparently have the space to collect. The 14 watercraft have a combined length of about 183 feet. Five watercraft are on trailers. Four are inflatable. There are a pair of stand up paddleboards (Marsha’s contribution to the collection, as well as her inflatable kayak).

There is also a second driftboat, but it is in the building queue, and does not count in the total.

Ants
    Thank you Ants. For readers who have not viewed Leo's latest video on rebuilding TALLY HO, I commend watching (35 minutes) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpwEScmVx6s You'll see and hear Leo's thoughts on dinghies and tenders in general and what might be suitable for his TALLY HO. A bonus is meeting Russell Brown as his explains his remarkable PT 11. Good stuff.
    Last edited by sleddog; 10-09-2022 at 07:22 AM.