Page 362 of 628 FirstFirst ... 262312352358359360361362363364365366372412462 ... LastLast
Results 3,611 to 3,620 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Turns out today's big surf broke the hull free of the keel and keel structure and washed the hull up the beach 50 feet, saving possibly hours of toiling with the front hoe excavator.
    Do I spy the remnants of footprints of the gypsy salvage brigade as the surf washes away all traces?

Ants

Quote Originally Posted by AntsUiga View Post
    Do I spy the remnants of footprints of the gypsy salvage brigade as the surf washes away all traces?
    Ants
    Yes. 3 workers from a commercial salvage company, the lady head director for Monterey Bay Marine Sanctuary Water Quality, and I worked until well after dark last night removing all traces of Alan's H boat from Capitola Beach. The only thing we didn't do was rake the sand.

The was some equipment on the boat, notably 2 Harken primary winches, that possibly would have been worth something. But the sharp fiberglas edges of the remains made it too hazardous to think about "gypsy salvage."

Name:  CapitolaWreck4.jpg
Views: 1228
Size:  350.8 KB

Sorry, Alan, to bring this sad news about your ex-QUIET VICTORY. I do not know the name of the salvage company that hauled her away.
    Last edited by sleddog; 01-02-2020 at 09:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    The was some equipment on the boat, notably 2 Harken primary winches, that possibly would have been worth something. But the sharp fiberglass edges of the remains made it two hazardous to think about "gypsy salvage."
    Next time two Harken winches wash up on the beach, call me, I've got this battery powered reciprocating saw that would have had those out in 3 shakes.
    The Sea is my Church; the Boat is my Pew.

Quote Originally Posted by Intermission View Post
    Next time two Harken winches wash up on the beach, call me, I've got this battery powered reciprocating saw that would have had those out in 3 shakes.
    They looked like small self tailing Harkens. Just the right size for DM's main halyard on her starboard cabin top. Oh well. I guess I can't hang around with Skip every time a boat comes ashore. What is it about Capitola Beach, anyway? It's like a boat magnet.
    Last edited by Philpott; 01-02-2020 at 10:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    They looked like small self tailing harkens. Just the right size for DM's main halyard on her starboard cabin top. Oh well. I guess I can't hang around with Skip every time a boat comes ashore. What is it about Capitola Beach, anyway? It's like a boat magnet.
    The most spectacular beaching came early one September morning in 1980. There were 14 boats at anchor in 15-25 feet of water off Capitola Beach the previous evening. I heard the surf rise overnight, and hustled down to the beach at dawn to see the happenings.

13 boats were totally gone...the biggest piece on the beach was a hatch board.

But wait, there's a yellow Santa Cruz 27 still at anchor in the midst of the 15-25 foot surf.

As we watched, SUMO broke loose and headed for the beach bow first. Then something unexpected happened: SUMO was bodily picked up by an extra big wave and did 3 consecutive forward somersaults (pitchpoles) before landing on her side high on the beach.

We couldn't believe it if we hadn't seen it. The only damage to SUMO was a broken mast, bent rudder and bow pulpit. Bobbo retrieved the trailer and SUMO was hauled to Bill Lee's for further examination. Nope, no damage. She was racing the next weekend and still competes to this day.
    Last edited by sleddog; 01-03-2020 at 09:03 AM.

Nate Tuffanelli installed those Harkens. I sold the boat to Nate, he raced her in the SSS under the boat name "Locadai". Nate sold her to whoever had her in Redwood City.

H-Boats don't have bow pulpits. I had that pulpit made for Quiet Victory so that I could put on lifelines to race outside the Gate.

How about the mast? ...the boom?

Was it Bridgit Hoover you were working with? I've e-mailed her.

Last edited by AlanH; 01-03-2020 at 03:01 AM.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Woo hoo! Great story! You see that we have a Santa Cruz 27 signed up for The Race? The fella who rides ... er, sails her lives on Rattlesnake Lane in Missoula, Montana. What’s that truck advertising phrase: “Ford tough”? Santa Cruz 27s are “Lee tough”. Obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    Nate Tuffanelli installed those Harkens. I sold the boat to Nate, he raced her in the SSS under the boat name "Locadai". Nate sold her to whoever had her in Redwood City.

H-Boats don't have bow pulpits. I had that pulpit made for Quiet Victory so that I could put on lifelines to race outside the Gate.

How about the mast? ...the boom?
    Projects carefully considered and then completed. I'm sorry Alan. I can't imagine seeing Troubadour or Ragtime! wrecked like that.

Older wooden wharves on our coast line have always been subject to damage from powerful winter surf. This year is no different as the Capitola Wharf, down the hill, is closed due to damage. It appears the area near the hoist is collapsing, closing off access to the restaurant and store.

Name:  CapitolaWharf2.jpg
Views: 805
Size:  35.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    What is it about Capitola Beach, anyway? It's like a boat magnet.
    For a New Year's quiz with a local Capitola history walk as a prize, what else has washed up nearby? More than one answer may/may not be true. Any/all correct answers win.

1. hundreds of large, attack squid.
    2. an armada of of port tack sailors, unable to tack or gybe and gain searoom.
    3. a fully armed US Naval submarine.
    4. Santa Claus
    5. Thousands of deceased mutton birds, inspiring a famous movie.
    6. A tank ship built of cement.
    7. A fully crewed ocean racing sailboat following it's GPS chartplotter to Santa Cruz Harbor, only to become painfully aware that's its shortest course had taken them overland.
    8. A 25 boat fleet of 7 foot, non-rightable dinghies in an ocean ("Transpac") race.
    9. A classic, 125 foot black schooner.
    Last edited by sleddog; 01-03-2020 at 01:53 PM.