Page 408 of 628 FirstFirst ... 308358398404405406407408409410411412418458508 ... LastLast
Results 4,071 to 4,080 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

That video looks like it was taken from the Bay trail in San Rafael, just north of the NE corner of the Target store on Shoreline Parkway. Nice that Mount Diablo is visible in the video, helps with triangulating. The drainage pipe you can see in the end of the video is about 100 yards NE of the NE corner of the Target building. Loch Lomond marina is visible to the left of the screen in the early bit of the video, with both Marin Islands, Point San Pablo, and Mount Diablo from left to right.

Tom K.

Quote Originally Posted by Cover Craft View Post
    That video looks like it was taken from the Bay trail in San Rafael, just north of the NE corner of the Target store on Shoreline Parkway. Nice that Mount Diablo is visible in the video, helps with triangulating. The drainage pipe you can see in the end of the video is about 100 yards NE of the NE corner of the Target building. Loch Lomond marina is visible to the left of the screen in the early bit of the video, with both Marin Islands, Point San Pablo, and Mount Diablo from left to right.

Tom K.
    Thanks, Tom, for your accurate description of the location of the video of the smallish tidal bore near San Rafael. From a chart, there is a large expanse of shoal water extending east and north east from that location that likely contributed to the bore. The low tide that April 10th afternoon in 2018 was a minus .4 feet, which may also have been a factor...

Meanwhile, 3,000 odd miles southwest, Whitall Stokes on SPARROW has hove to in the lee of Raroia atoll's SW point.
    Last edited by sleddog; 12-04-2020 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Whadda ya get when you paint a 1,194 foot container ship pink and name it ONE Apus?

Attachment 6058

1,900 containers overboard or damaged 1,500 miles NW of Hawaii, that's what ya get.

Attachment 6059
    No no no no no no no no no no no no!
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

I've read various articles about lost containers, mostly sinking.... but still that is a lot at once.

After Whitall Stokes' brief respite yesterday in the lee of Raroia atoll, today SPARROW is back reaching on port tack in a southerly direction in 20 knots of easterly tradewinds.

It's that time of year to offer a Christmas treat of Marianne's Macapuno coconut ice cream with pomegranate topping to first to answer the following navigational question.

200 miles ahead of SPARROW is an atoll, part of the Tuamotu archipelago, but claimed by the Catholic church. This atoll was first discovered by Captain William Bligh and crew and apparently uninhabited. Later the atoll had a small populace of hungry natives who are on record as having eaten the unfortunate surviving crew of a shipwrecked schooner. The dinner guests were dubbed "puaa oa" or "long pigs" by the appreciative locals.

SPARROW should be passing the vicinity of this atoll tomorrow (Sunday) afternoon. The atoll is located in the South Pacific at 21-40 S x 140-38 W. What is this atoll and why is its location significant to a major World religion?

Name:  Muraroa.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  6.4 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 12-05-2020 at 04:06 PM.

After Whitall Stokes' brief respite yesterday in the lee of Raroia atoll, today SPARROW is back reaching on port tack in a southerly direction in 20 knots of easterly tradewinds.

It's that time of year to offer a Christmas treat of Marianne's Macapuno coconut ice cream with pomegranate topping to first to answer the following navigational question.

200 miles ahead of SPARROW is an atoll, part of the Tuamotu archipelago, but claimed by the Catholic church. This atoll was first discovered by Captain William Bligh and crew and apparently uninhabited. Later the atoll had a small populace of hungry natives who are on record as having eaten the unfortunate surviving crew of a shipwrecked schooner. The dinner guests were dubbed "puaa oa" or "long pigs" by the appreciative locals.

SPARROW should be passing the vicinity of this atoll tomorrow (Sunday) afternoon. The atoll is located in the South Pacific at 21-40 S x 140-38 W. What is this atoll and why is its location significant to a major World religion?

Name:  Muraroa.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  6.4 KB
    Mmmm, Macapuno with pomegranate topping, just too delicious to hope for! I cheated and found the answer on Wikipedia, so I'll disqualify myself, but thanks for the geographical distraction.
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. Be amazed at the friends you have here on your trip.
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. On your way to a world that others might have missed.
    ~ Blues Image

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    Mmmm, Macapuno with pomegranate topping, just too delicious to hope for! I cheated and found the answer on Wikipedia, so I'll disqualify myself, but thanks for the geographical distraction.
    Hi Synbad,
    No DSQ's allowed! Go ahead and answer before someone else does and claims the Macapuno with pomegranates. I tried to make the answer not obvious, but you did good asking the right questions to research the answers. PS: Extra points for 5 or greater uses of pomegranates.
    Last edited by sleddog; 12-05-2020 at 05:23 PM.

Hi Synbad,
    No DSQ's allowed! Go ahead and answer before someone else does and claims the Macapuno with pomegranates. I tried to make the answer not obvious, but you did good asking the right questions to research the answers. PS: Extra points for 5 or greater uses of pomegranates.
    Okay then. The atoll Tematagi is the closest landmass to the antipode of Mecca. So I would guess that any visiting Muslim would have to stick their head in the sand in order to face Mecca during their prayer ritual.

Pomegranates can be sprinkled:
    1. on a peanut butter and jelly sandwich
    2. in a spinach salad
    3. over apple pie ala mode
    4. into a pitcher of hot tea made with fresh ginger, lime, rosemary, cinnamon stick, and a pinch of red pepper flakes
    5. straight into your mouth
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. Be amazed at the friends you have here on your trip.
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. On your way to a world that others might have missed.
    ~ Blues Image

Okay then. The atoll Tematagi is the closest landmass to the antipode of Mecca. So I would guess that any visiting Muslim would have to stick their head in the sand in order to face Mecca during their prayer ritual.

2. in a spinach salad
    4. into a pitcher of hot tea made with fresh ginger, lime, rosemary, cinnamon stick, and a pinch of red pepper flakes
    Correct! Tematagi atoll is antipodal to Mecca. A Muslim on Tematagi seeking the "quibla" or sacred direction of Mecca could rest assured bowing in any direction would be correct.

2. in a spinach salad
    6. in oatmeal, stirred with a spurtle
    ~ Blues Image