Page 387 of 628 FirstFirst ... 287337377383384385386387388389390391397437487 ... LastLast
Results 3,861 to 3,870 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Quote Originally Posted by MAGICdreamer View Post
    And, of course, today's weather forecasts are talking about tropical Storm Christine which is due to become a hurricane, located 700 miles S-SW of Cabo. I hope both rowers are able to ride out the upcoming weather in their individual craft. I am glad that I am not out there staring down to the S wondering...
    Unclear how many rowers are currently attempting CA-Hawaii. Angela Madsen died 2 weeks ago on a second attempt. http://www.eastbaytimenews.com/2020/...pacific-ocean/

Another Pacific rower's remains and his upside down craft was also recently found. Apparently his boat was non-self righting.
    https://adventureblog.net/2020/05/re...ilippines.html

A third CA-Hawaii rower capsized yesterday 325 miles SW of LA, but is apparently continuing. Unclear if an EPIRB was activated, or if a search had been initiated by the US Navy.
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-07-2020 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    good news today from capitola boat club fleet surgeon: Dave w. Is home recovering from emergency appendectomy and feeling "best i've felt in weeks." brother-in-law tom has successfully weathered his first chemo infusion. Howard is riding his scooter 24 hours after cyst removal. And i just received an "all clear" on my 4th ct scan in 4 years as we monitor lung nodules resulting from many years accumulation of inhalation of boat building micro particles including fiberglas and wood dust.
    excellent!!!
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

We need to spice things up a bit on this Forum before it goes moribund. Therefore, offering lunch at a local Mexican restaurant (outside dining only) to the first to answer which one (one only) of the following 25 is not true about Transpac racing to Hawaii.

1. President Teddy Roosevelt fired the starting cannon.
    2. 2 women crewed the Transpac 112 years ago.
    3. First-2-Finish (Barn Door Trophy) did so with no mast.
    4. First-2-Finish (MERLIN) not only missed the finish, but missed the Harbor and entire Island before turning back.
    5. First-2-Finish crew member crossed Diamond Head finish line standing on top of the spinnaker.
    6. Transpac maxi finished sailing backwards with no main mast, but a mizzen spinnaker flying astern (ahead?)
    7. MERLIN crew swimming ahead, towing MERLIN across finish in 1979.
    8. ULDB maxi surfing down Molokai channel at 15 knots and planing across finish with no rudder.
    9. Singlehanded Transpac competitor finishing with lawn mower lashed to shrouds.
    10. Transpac non-finisher passing Diamond Head Buoy finish on wrong side and sinking on the reef.
    11. Transpac finisher finishing correctly, but entering wrong Harbor, and sinking on the reef.
    12. Transpac entry DSQed for using racial animus on radio against another boat.
    13. SHTP finisher on O-30 finishing under spinnaker, while steering w/ AP remote from foredeck hammock.
    14. SHTP finisher carrying saddle and spurs below on his O-30.
    15. Pacific Cup skipper going off his meds and threatening crew with knife, having to be hogtied and evacuated.
    16. Transpac entry with a baby grand piano aboard, another with 1/2 cord of firewood aboard for wood burning stove.
    17. 16 year old youngest woman ever on winning Transpac crew.
    18. There are 3 Barn Door Trophies.
    19. Crew of Pac Cup entry practicing skeet shooting enroute from the foredeck.
    20. Pac Cup first-2-finish and new record holder going missing between finish line and yacht club dock.
    21. Mod-70 trimaran losing one bow after running over a flashing yellow weather buoy the first night.
    22. Pac Cup crew quarantined aboard for the duration of Hawaiian stay, unquarantined by sailing home.
    23. A former Barn Door winner radioing for commercial tug tow into Hono, giving his Platinum Credit Card # on radio.
    24. Head of US SAILING Safety looking over the side to discover the keel was missing 400 miles N. of Hono. (Same boat, but different incident than #23)
    25. Last place finisher, COMMON SENSE, in Transpac blaming slow crossing on giant octopus (squid?) that had been a hitchhiker attached to bottom, with suction cup marks in bottom paint for proof.

Bonus margarita for boat names.
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-17-2020 at 12:51 PM.

We need to spice things up a bit on this Forum before it goes moribund. Therefore, offering lunch at a local Mexican restaurant (outside dining only) to the first to answer which one (one only) of the following 25 is not true about Transpac racing to Hawaii.

1. President Teddy Roosevelt fired the starting cannon.
    2. 2 women crewed the Transpac 112 years ago.
    3. First-2-Finish (Barn Door Trophy) did so with no mast.
    4. First-2-Finish (MERLIN) not only missed the finish, but missed the Harbor and entire Island before turning back.
    5. First-2-Finish crew member crossed Diamond Head finish line standing on top of the spinnaker.
    6. Transpac maxi finished sailing backwards with no main mast, but a mizzen spinnaker flying astern (ahead?)
    7. MERLIN crew swimming ahead, towing MERLIN across finish in 1979.
    8. ULDB maxi surfing down Molokai channel at 15 knots and planing across finish with no rudder.
    9. Singlehanded Transpac competitor finishing with lawn mower lashed to shrouds.the reef.
    10. Transpac non-finisher passing Diamond Head Buoy finish on wrong side and sinking on the reef.
    11. Transpac finisher finishing correctly, but entering wrong Harbor, and sinking on the reef.
    12. Transpac entry DSQed for using racial animus on radio against another boat.
    13. SHTP finisher on O-30 finishing under spinnaker, while steering w/ AP remote from foredeck hammock.
    14. SHTP finisher carrying saddle and spurs below on his O-30.
    15. Pacific Cup skipper going off his meds and threatening crew with knife, having to be hogtied and evacuated.
    16. Transpac entry with a baby grand piano aboard, another with 1/2 cord of firewood aboard for wood burning stove.
    17. 16 year old youngest woman ever on winning Transpac crew.
    18. There are 3 Barn Door Trophies.
    19. Crew of Pac Cup entry practicing skeet shooting enroute from the foredeck.
    20. Pac Cup first-2-finish and new record holder going missing between finish line and yacht club dock.
    21. Mod-70 trimaran losing one bow after running over a flashing yellow weather buoy the first night.
    22. Pac Cup crew quarantined aboard for the duration of Hawaiian stay, unquarantined by sailing home.
    23. A former Barn Door winner radioing for commercial tug tow into Hono, giving his Platinum Credit Card # on radio.
    24. Head of US SAILING Safety looking over the side to discover the keel was missing 400 miles N. of Hono. (Same boat, but different incident than #23)
    25. Last place finisher, COMMON SENSE, in Transpac blaming slow crossing on giant octopus (squid?) that had been a hitchhiker attached to bottom, with suction cup marks in bottom paint for proof.

Bonus margarita for boat names.
    I have no idea which ONE is false, though I know that some of them are true. I have my doubts about skeet shooting, #19! The fact that "most" of them are true, is pretty entertaining!

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    I have no idea which ONE is false, though I know that some of them are true. I have my doubts about skeet shooting, #19! The fact that "most" of them are true, is pretty entertaining!
    Ahh, come on and take a chance. You have a 4% chance of being right. And either way, if you guess wrong or right, I'll give you the backstory. Alan, just say, "I think #19 is false," rather than "I have my doubts."

I'm adding #26) 2 hours after the 2008 SHTP start, this competitor was joined aboard by an uninvited sea lion. The incident elevated when the sea lion refused to leave and its weight was on the wrong side of the small ultra light. The skipper, having attempted verbal persuasion to no avail, then took up arms in the form of a foul weather jacket for the winning "Scottish Swatting" technique.

Ahh, come on and take a chance. You have a 4% chance of being right. And either way, if you guess wrong or right, I'll give you the backstory. Alan, just say, "I think #19 is false," rather than "I have my doubts."

I'm adding #26) 2 hours after the 2008 SHTP start, this competitor was joined aboard by an uninvited sea lion. The incident elevated when the sea lion refused to leave and its weight was on the wrong side of the small ultra light. The skipper, having attempted verbal persuasion to no avail, then took up arms in the form of a foul weather jacket for the winning "Scottish Swatting" technique.
    OK! I think #19 is false!

and gee, that sounds familiar! After she left, she went and checked out Don on Warriors Wish!

[QUOTE=AlanH;26934]OK! I think #19 is false! /QUOTE]

Sorry, #19 is true. In the 1982 Pacific Cup, Kent Massey aboard the Davidson 50 GREAT FUN had his weapons of choice, a shotgun and semi-auto rifle aboard. And the crew would practice skeet shooting off GREAT FUN's stern. The semi-automatic was to sink "one of those Japanese glass balls we heard about." But they never sighted one.

I submit that Common Sense was last to finish the 1934 Transpac due to losing her mast and sailing in with jury rig, also the smallest boat to have entered at the time.
    So I say #25 is FALSE, no hitchhiker Giant Squids allowed on Transpac !!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Buell View Post
    I submit that Common Sense was last to finish the 1934 Transpac due to losing her mast and sailing in with jury rig, also the smallest boat to have entered at the time.
    So I say #25 is FALSE, no hitchhiker Giant Squids allowed on Transpac !!
    Congrats, Cap'n Bob! #25 is false. 1-24, though strange as they may sound, are true.
    COMMON SENSE did finish last in '34, but because of a broken mast.
    A giant squid attached to the hull did slow a Pacific voyager. But not in a Transpac Race.
    https://www.cruisingworld.com/giant-...ide-marquesas/

Capt. Bob wins a meal at the local Capitola Mexican restaurant of choice. Unfortunately, he and Mary Jo just canceled their Mainland vacation to the San Juan Islands in September. The San Juans are, unofficially, discouraging tourism for the foreseeable future.
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-18-2020 at 11:06 AM.

Looks like there are a lot of good stories in that list. So, Sled can you relate the story of “7. MERLIN crew swimming ahead, towing MERLIN across finish in 1979.” Were you one of the swimmers?
    Tom P.