Page 552 of 628 FirstFirst ... 52452502542548549550551552553554555556562602 ... LastLast
Results 5,511 to 5,520 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Due to the proximity of Soquel Creek, currently at flood stage, emptying onto what was Capitola Beach, last night's rain brought mud and debris downstream to clutter this well known surf break offshore the Capitola Bandstand. Though surfers are a hardy bunch, you'd be hard pressed to access the water, much less catch a wave on this sea of wood...

Name:  Capitolawood.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  44.0 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 01-09-2023 at 05:26 PM.

Whoa-Stay safe Sled !!!!!!!

I read somewhere that the waves were so big off Santa Cruz that surfers were riding waves that headed away from shore?

"Over the weekend, the [San Lorenzo] river was so swollen that surfers were riding waves headed out to sea, rather then the other direction..."

NY Times
    Last edited by Philpott; 01-09-2023 at 08:07 PM.

It's really sad to hear about the Hawley's beach house. Hopefully Neils and family above the creek are OK. I imagine the homes down below by the creek are flooded.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Gutoff View Post
    It's really sad to hear about the Hawley's beach house. Hopefully Neils and family above the creek are OK. I imagine the homes down below by the creek are flooded.
    Nils is fine and his retaining walls are doing exactly what they were meant to do: keep his home in place above Soquel Creek. Yes, the homes along Soquel Creek flooded to different extents. That scenic dirt path along the east side of the Creek from Capitola Village, under the Trestle, and inland was damaged and partially washed away, as were riverfront docks and decks. This is nothing new...

Later today a new island may emerge from Monterey Bay. The Salinas River will crest this afternoon, and if it floods, as is likely, then Highways 68 and 1 will be cutoff and the Monterey Peninsula, including Monterey, Marina, Carmel, Pacific Grove, and Northern Big Sur will be cut off. I know Philpott has always wanted to live on an island, and this is her chance.

Here's your first Trivia for the New Year. Macapuno will not apply as the local source is currently out of stock.

I am rerigging and fine tuning an historical sailing rig and sail. This rig is as good inshore as offshore, and has a storied history of both. Though variations exist, my project has a sail set off a straight luff spar, not necessarily the mast, and a long, flexible, spar opposite that can be sheeted to various wind angles.

This rig is called the

1) Marconi 2) Lug 3) Una 4) Leg O' Mutton, aka Wishbone 5) Hawaiian 6) Square Head 7)Crab Crusher 8)Bermudian 9)Gaff 10) Dipping Lug 11) Lateen. 12) Fore and Aft.

Hint: the name of the rig is not the name of the sail.
    Last edited by sleddog; 01-12-2023 at 09:46 AM.

Who said I want to live on an island? I like the Monterey peninsula just fine the way it is. And I haven't had much luck with CBC competitions lately. No macapuno? No good! With the high price of Haagen Dazs lately, we've even switched over to Trader Joe's French vanilla. Ah, the world keeps turning, Skip.

I'm guessing it would be the Hawaiian, with what's often referred to as a crab claw sail.

Tom K.

Quote Originally Posted by Cover Craft View Post
    I'm guessing it would be the Hawaiian, with what's often referred to as a crab claw sail.
    Tom K.
    Hi Tom, A "Hawaiian" is a tasty ham and pineapple pizza at our local Pizza My Heart before PMH was washed in the ocean. But good news is you are correct a "Hawaiian" is also a crab claw sail used on double hulled, Polynesian canoes or "vakas" such as the circumnavigation of HOKU'LEA and smaller craft which met Captain Cook.

Name:  Canoe6.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  23.5 KB

Name:  Canoe8.jpeg
Views: 645
Size:  109.4 KB

Name:  Canoe7.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  26.0 KB

My vaka with a Hawaiian rig is somewhat smaller. Now nearing 60 years old, this Transpac overall trophy was won by HOLIDAY TOO, our family Cal-40, in 1967. I have it apart and am refinishing the Koa with Danish oil and rerigging the sail for better shape and strength.

Name:  Canoe9.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  59.5 KB

For a short but thorough discussion and photos/video of the Hawaiian rig and its crab claw Pe'a sail, I recommend checking this https://www.hemakeewaa.org/hawaiiansail
    Last edited by sleddog; 01-12-2023 at 05:36 PM.

What a gorgeous trophy, well earned, Sled !