Page 483 of 628 FirstFirst ... 383433473479480481482483484485486487493533583 ... LastLast
Results 4,821 to 4,830 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Thank you, Skip, for bringing Gwendolyn and Todd's qualifier to our attention. I wish them all the best and look forward to seeing them in Hanalei Bay next summer!
    The password I believe is GWENDOLYN, all caps. Let me know if not.

It’s now a few minutes before 18:00. Looking at MarineTraffic, it’s interesting to see that Todd’s GWENDOLYN, well past the Farallon Islands, still has a strong AIS signal. I’d like to know what electronics he has.
    Last edited by Dazzler; 04-24-2022 at 06:05 PM.
    Tom P.

Todd reversed course this morning at 1:21 am at N 37.09 W 123.96. Any news?

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    Todd reversed course this morning at 1:21 am at N 37.09 W 123.96. Any news?
    Tough call, but wise decision to abort. As Todd got further southwest, return to safe port became more problematical given forecast for his area for tomorrow of 25-30, gusting gale 35, and tomorrow night gusting 40 with seas to match. Returning safely is mandatory, more so than 100 miles offshore and 400 miles logged at this time. At time of his turnaround he was under double-reefed main (40%) and furled jib. At 7 a.m. this morning, GWEN is 47 nm, 52 degrees m., from Lightbucket, making 4.4 knots under double reef and "doing OK." Thanks for concern.
    Last edited by sleddog; 04-25-2022 at 07:12 AM.

First thing I did last night was look at the Windy forecast for this area. Yikes! It certainly didn't look good. Looked RED. Then, when I looked this morning at Todd's tracker I waited for you to give us an update. You did not disappoint, Skip.

After this experience the windy reach will be a known entity. Once Todd has returned to port I suspect he will feel very confident about his ability to negotiate just about any conditions. It will be great fun to watch him cross the ocean next summer. Go, Gwendolyn! Go, Mr Olsen on your Olson!

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    After this experience the windy reach will be a known entity.
    The Windy Reach has been a known entity since the time of Drake, who attempted to beat to weather up the Pac NW Coast in the spring of 1579 and ultimately retreated south to find shelter behind Pt. Reyes. Fact: there are more gales off the N. Cal Coast than any other piece of ocean in the whole N. Pacific. Prominent headlands like Cape Mendocino, Pt. Arena, Pt. Reyes, Ano Nuevo, Pt. Sur. and Pt. Conception accelerate Windy Lane's breezes, especially afternoon and evenings into what the NWS calls "coastal jets."

Below is a photo of the coast of Pt. Reyes on a hike to Tomales Pt. last week. The breeze was so strong the first attempt was scrubbed. Even the Elk were keeping a low profile.

Name:  Tamales Point.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  2.05 MB

Name:  Elk.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  3.43 MB

The next day Annie and I prevailed on our 10 mile RT hike to Tomales Pt., where Pt. Reyes narrows like the bow of a large ship pointing NW with the Pacific to port and Tomales Bay to starboard. Directly below were a pod of 5-6 gray whales playing. Off in the distance is Bodega Head.

Name:  TomalesPt.2.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  5.20 MB
    Last edited by sleddog; 04-25-2022 at 09:34 PM.

Wow. That's a fast boat.

Name:  Todd Olsen  042522 (2).png
Views: 350
Size:  910.3 KB

Todd and his GWENDOLYN have just returned safely (3:45 pm) under the Golden Gate, as gale warnings are being readied for coastal and offshore waters beginning early tomorrow, Tuesday, with passage of a dry cold front. There will be other opportunities to complete the Qualifier. This attempt was a good preliminary challenge to man and boat to learn what needed to be learned and return safely. Well done, Todd.
    Last edited by sleddog; 04-25-2022 at 03:48 PM.

Thanks for watching. This attempt had much similar to the 2016 version. The weather forecasts sometimes turn out to be milder than predicted, so it seemed reasonable to proceed. However, this forecast, if anything, intensified and broadened the coverage area. There was no good option for Tuesday with this picture.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 583
Size:  17.2 KB

The AIS is Emtrak B924, and it is paired with Standard Horizon GS2000 VHF with AIS Display (not AIS receiver). The Emtrak is wired with some small color coded wires to the radio. Emtrak is nice because it does not require an antenna splitter, which used to require it's own power supply. The antenna is VHF masthead with cable connected to the Emtrak and a short VHF cable connects from the Emtrak to the radio. I think he sold the business, but Doug Miller, Milltech Marine is the person who answers the phone, types emails, and writes blog articles describing how to connect things so they work.

Congratulations, Todd! Not only are you safe, but your fingers still work! And you're not collapsed in your bunk. Very impressive! When you get a moment maybe you can tell us more about your experience out there. I have heard the Olson 29 requires attention. How did this Olsen find it? And that weather? Great timing, hitting the gate at a flood. You are an awfully fine coordinator. Best to you on your next foray.