Page 485 of 495 FirstFirst ... 385435475481482483484485486487488489 ... LastLast
Results 4,841 to 4,850 of 4949

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

  1. #4841
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Capitola,CA
    Posts
    2,766

    Default

    Andre', the Anna's hummer, was in fine fettle this morning just after sunrise at the Fossil Cliffs. Seaward, not far offshore, were 4-5 humpback whales and a whole lot of feeding sea birds. Here's some photos of Andre' not seen before: Thanks to photographer Dianna Glidden for sharing.

    Name:  Andre4.JPG
Views: 110
Size:  184.5 KB

    Name:  Andre5.JPG
Views: 106
Size:  161.5 KB

    Name:  Andre'6.JPG
Views: 99
Size:  134.0 KB

    And a photo I took of Andre' in 2014, 8 years ago.

    Name:  Andre_2.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  463.6 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 04-28-2022 at 03:44 PM.

  2. #4842
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Bodfish, CA
    Posts
    324

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    OK all you backstay flickers, a bowl of Marianne's Macapuno to the first who can answer the following about something currently in CBC's front yard. In the below list, which one does not relate to the other six.

    1. Buoy of Death 2) Tack, Back, Gybe, Set. 3) Ano Nuevo weather 4) Sheep in the Meadow 5) White Horses 6) Reinforced Trades. 7) Dogs Running Free
    Well it is good to see Andre, bit the challenge was offered.

    I have no rationale for the answer, but I guess 6) Reinforced Trades.
    Guesses are free! Enjoy making them.

    Ants

  3. #4843
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Capitola,CA
    Posts
    2,766

    Default

    Hi Ants, Thanks for the compliment on my good buddy, Andre'. And also for your guess, 6) Reinforced Trades. Sorry, but that is not the correct answer. Reinforced trades, are particularly vigorous tradewinds, > 22 knots, rather than the common tradewinds of 14-20 knots.

    Reinforced trades, in general, are the result of a strong high pressure center >1030 mb, creating a steep gradient between the high and the low pressure of the ITCZ, north of the Equator. Reinforced trades can and do occur in both hemispheres. If your passage is downwind, reinforced trades can provide thrilling sailing and fast daily runs. However, if your passage is reaching or closehauled, reinforced trades can be a chore.

    In Hawaiian waters, reinforced trades are called 'brisk," 'fresh," and "strong tradewinds" and not a recommended time to cross the local channels or depart for the Mainland unless the boat and crew are up to the task.. Here off the California Coast, local knowledge call springtime small craft advisories and gale warnings offshore for NW winds "reinforced trades", even though they are not the true tradewinds of tropical latitudes.

    What we've had here at CBC for the last few days has been NW winds 20-35. Thus "reinforced trades" are visible in the front yard, aka Monterey Bay.

    Please feel free to guess again. Any other takers? The silence is deafening.
    Last edited by sleddog; 04-29-2022 at 11:32 AM.

  4. #4844
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,011

    Default

    While I am not sure how I feel about being referred to as a "backstay flicker", which sounds vaguely obscene, I will take a guess at the buoy of death. Having visited the CBC, I recall a big anchor and lots of vegetation, including flowers. Andre continues to impress, although we have always missed him upon my visits. If my guess is wrong then the next guesser will have a 5:1 chance next time.

  5. #4845
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Capitola,CA
    Posts
    2,766

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    While I am not sure how I feel about being referred to as a "backstay flicker", which sounds vaguely obscene, I will take a guess at the buoy of death. Having visited the CBC, I recall a big anchor and lots of vegetation, including flowers. Andre continues to impress, although we have always missed him upon my visits. If my guess is wrong then the next guesser will have a 5:1 chance next time.
    Hi Philpott, Sorry, but the term "backstay flicker" was used on your thread, Sailing Tomorrow, post #401.

    Also, apologies, but your guess "#1) Buoy of Death" is not the correct answer either. The "Buoy of Death" is what the 505, Melges 24, Moore 24, and Hobie Cat out of town sailors call our Mile Buoy, 1.1 nm south of the Santa Cruz Wharf. Gybing at the Buoy of Death, their reaching mark, in reinforced trades, >25 knots, invariably resulted in festive activities.

    In the 2002 Moore 24 Nationals I had WILDFLOWER stationed at the Buoy of Death. Good thing too, the leading crew in the series were launched overboard during their gybe. 3 of the 5 crew ended up hanging onto the Lifesling I launched behind WILDFLOWER while their boat continued out of control downwind on its side with the spinnaker flogging. Good thing to I was able to reach over the side and grab their skipper by his hair and pull him aboard as he was going down for good due to his faulty PFD pulling him under. Buoy of Death? You betcha.

    Next guesser has a 20% chance of winning the Macapuno. Don't be shy. A quart of Macapuno is 25% more costly than a gallon of gas. Must be good.
    Last edited by sleddog; 04-29-2022 at 11:38 AM.

  6. #4846
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Santa Rosa
    Posts
    615

    Default

    While I may not qualify to participate since the invite specifically invites "backstay flickers" and as a Wylieguy a flicker would a drag and not an assist, here's my guess anyway:

    Ano Nuevo Weather. Why? It's the only answer that makes sense to an outsider since the others are insider references to various wind /weather patterns. If I win, I award the ice cream to Jackie who can sit down with you and a pad and pencil so you can illustrate a "backstay flicker." Probably not something an "older" Cal boat has need of. Pat "Wylieguy"

  7. #4847
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Capitola,CA
    Posts
    2,766

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wylieguy View Post
    While I may not qualify to participate since the invite specifically invites "backstay flickers" and as a Wylieguy a flicker would a drag and not an assist, here's my guess anyway:

    Ano Nuevo Weather. Why? It's the only answer that makes sense to an outsider since the others are insider references to various wind /weather patterns. If I win, I award the ice cream to Jackie who can sit down with you and a pad and pencil so you can illustrate a "backstay flicker." Probably not something an "older" Cal boat has need of. Pat "Wylieguy"
    Hi Pat, Sorry, but #3 Ano Nuevo weather is not the answer either. Ano Nuevo weather is spring time, reinforced trades in Monterey Bay and north, reaching brisk conditions off Ano Nuevo point. The best time to pass Ano Nuevo northbound is wee hours of the morning. Racing south, you always seem to be reaching in on port pole just south of Ano, necessitating a gybe before running out of runway. Gybes off Ano Nuevo rarely seem to go well. Thus
    Ano Nuevo weather.

    Next guesser has a 25% chance of winning with only 1 in 4 right answers remaining. I guarantee none of the remaining 4 answers are "insider weather references." You and others have likely used them yourselves.

    Here's the deal. Any previous guessers are welcome to try again. But first reread the question posed. Then explain briefly why you think you are answering the question correctly. I'm not a rocket scientist, and this is not rocket science. It is plain, good 'ol salty docktalk between (hopefully) friends.
    Last edited by sleddog; 04-29-2022 at 12:41 PM.

  8. #4848
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,011

    Default

    Little boy blue,
    Come blow your horn,
    The sheep's in the meadow,
    The cow's in the corn.
    But where is the boy
    Who looks after the sheep?
    He's under a haystack,
    Fast asleep. Mother Goose


    Thank you anyway, Pat. Here's my own guess: "Sheep in the Meadow", and here's my solid reasoning: Here in Oakland we refer to people who sleep in other people's yards as "the Unsheltered". I suspect that someone wandered into the CBC's welcoming yard and decided to take a snooze. If my guess is correct but for the wrong reason do I get the Macapuno anyway? Either way, tomorrow I plan to order an affogato at Poggio's restaurant in Sausalito, so I will not suffer from lack of Macapuno.

    Thanks, Skip. It's always fun to play.

  9. #4849
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Capitola,CA
    Posts
    2,766

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Little boy blue,
    Come blow your horn,
    The sheep's in the meadow,
    The cow's in the corn.
    But where is the boy
    Who looks after the sheep?
    He's under a haystack,
    Fast asleep. Mother Goose


    Thank you anyway, Pat. Here's my own guess: "Sheep in the Meadow", and here's my solid reasoning: Here in Oakland we refer to people who sleep in other people's yards as "the Unsheltered". I suspect that someone wandered into the CBC's welcoming yard and decided to take a snooze. If my guess is correct but for the wrong reason do I get the Macapuno anyway? Either way, tomorrow I plan to order an affogato at Poggio's restaurant in Sausalito, so I will not suffer from lack of Macapuno.

    Thanks, Skip. It's always fun to play.
    Sorry, Jackie, but your nursery rhyme has no relevance to what was in the CBC's front yard yesterday. As far as I could see out to sea, it was "sheep in the meadow," an age old, Down Island, description of rough water and strong winds creating whitecaps (sheep). Here you go:

    Name:  Sheep.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  272.3 KB

    Is Down Island the same as Down East? Negatory, good buddy.

    Chances of a winner just increased to 1 in 3. And no, we don't serve "affogato" with arils.
    Last edited by sleddog; 04-29-2022 at 02:44 PM.

  10. #4850
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Saratoga
    Posts
    267

    Default

    Thanks to all the guessers who went before me.

    I vote; dogs running free.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •