Page 418 of 628 FirstFirst ... 318368408414415416417418419420421422428468518 ... LastLast
Results 4,171 to 4,180 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Apologies. Upon further review, we may be both correct. I viewed the moon this morning at 7:30 a.m. San Francisco time when it was still 1st Quarter. It changed over to "3rd quarter at 9:37 a.m", about the time of your post. What are the chances......
    The moon cannot go from 1st quarter to 3rd quarter. It has to pass through Full first. You may have seen the transition of waning gibbous to 3rd quarter.

https://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/moon/phases.html
    Last edited by Intermission; 02-05-2021 at 04:14 PM. Reason: waning, not waxing

Quote Originally Posted by Intermission View Post
    The moon cannot go from 1st quarter to 3rd quarter. It has to pass through Full first. You may have seen the transition of waxing gibbous to 3rd quarter.

https://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/moon/phases.html
    At what point does waxing gibbous transition to waxing crescent (at 50%?), and where does 3rd quarter fit into it all? My guess is that waxing crescent and 3rd quarter refer to the same moon phase.
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. Be amazed at the friends you have here on your trip.
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. On your way to a world that others might have missed.
    ~ Blues Image

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    At what point does waxing gibbous transition to waxing crescent (at 50%?), and where does 3rd quarter fit into it all? My guess is that waxing crescent and 3rd quarter refer to the same moon phase.
    Name:  moon4.png
Views: 773
Size:  57.9 KB

The moon I saw two mornings ago was waning gibbous, 53% illumination. A few hours later it had become a waning crescent moon which then continues about a week until it is a new moon.

Once, sailing WILDFLOWER in the South Pacific, I saw two points of white light at a distance. Initially, I thought they were the range lights of a distant ship. Over several minutes the points of light grew brighter as if the ship was closing. I then realized, as the rest of the waning crescent moon rose, that I had been looking at the moon's two tips and its crescent saddle had been below the horizon.
    Last edited by sleddog; 02-05-2021 at 01:07 PM.

OK OK OK!!
    Enough of this scientific astronomical fact stuff!!!
    A Tigger moon is concave. A Cow moon is convex.
    When only half of the moon is reflecting the lite from the ongoing nuclear charging system it can not be either a Cow moon or a Tigger moon.
    So to keep peace in the house the 50% moon became a BEAR moon...
    No further debate will be accepted by the CBC port captain.

Could I just taste the granola, a small bowl perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Intermission View Post
    Could I just taste the granola, a small bowl perhaps?
    Brad, et.al.

Tom's Best Ever Granola is available at the following venues: (this current list supersedes the website's list http://tomsbestevergranola.com/

Driver's Market — Sausalito, Monterey Market — Berkeley, Star Grocery — Berkeley, Farmer Joe’s Market — Oakland, Piedmont Grocery — Piedmont, Rainbow Grocery — SOMA, San Francisco, Bi-Rite Market (both locations) — San Francisco, Luke's Local — San Francisco,

It is also served at Hotel Drisco — Pacific Heights, San Francisco and Sam’s Log Cabin — Albany

It can be mail-ordered .E-mail Tom -- he will help you out. (He's my brother-in-law.)

Tom's Best Ever has been sent across the country in 2 to 12 pound quantities, and to Canada and Europe. Tom's "cereal-monogamists" have also schlepped his granola to Egypt, Japan, Mexico, and on a hike in the Alps.

I carried 20 pounds of Tom's Best Ever aboard WILDFLOWER for my solo cruise to New Zealand and return. It certainly beat what Sir Francis Chichester carried aboard his GYPSY MOTH IV on his circumnavigation which was solely sprouts and kegs of Guinness Stout in the bilge. I know because I helped Francis load GYPSY MOTH on the London dock shortly before he departed in 1966. He had 6 chart table size drawers of sprouts in various stages of germination. "Where's the cans of Dinty Moore? I asked? He snorted, pulled up the floorboards and showed me the metal kegs of Guinness. I was impressed.

Name:  tom's best ever 3.jpg
Views: 752
Size:  82.2 KB

If you intend to race the Corinthian, please read the Commodore's below notification. It is time sensitive, beginning Sat./5th and only 150 entrants,(combined single and double handed) will be allowed. No wait list.
    Last edited by sleddog; 02-05-2021 at 10:12 PM.

Default Moons, and Granola

[QUOTE=sleddog;28483]Brad, et.al.

Tom's Best Ever Granola is available at the following venues: (this current list supersedes the website's list http://tomsbestevergranola.com/

Driver's Market — Sausalito, Monterey Market — Berkeley, Star Grocery — Berkeley, Farmer Joe’s Market — Oakland, Piedmont Grocery — Piedmont, Rainbow Grocery — SOMA, San Francisco, Bi-Rite Market (both locations) — San Francisco, Luke's Local — San Francisco,

It is also served at Hotel Drisco — Pacific Heights, San Francisco and Sam’s Log Cabin — Albany

It can be mail-ordered .E-mail Tom -- he will help you out. (He's my brother-in-law.) . . .

———-
    Loved the discussion of the moon phases!

A slight correction on Tom’s (my husband’s) granola ~ it is no longer at Sam’s Log Cabin in Albany. They shortened their menu a bit with the pandemic. It also is at Diablo Foods, a market in Lafayette, but near the top shelf. Mailing, yes. And best of all, if you live near Berkeley, you can just pick it up from Tom! (Tashco”at”gmail.com).

Happy sailing y’all. Spring is here, yay! I am eyeing my windsurf boards ...

Scott, if you are reading this, which way did you go?
    The right way ! CCW.

At least 750 gallons of diesel leaked into SF Bay from a Chevron Refinery pipe leading out to the Pt. Richmond Long Wharf. The leak continued Tuesday for 2 hours until someone noticed and found the shut off, WTF?

Chevron authorities and a Haz Mat team cannot say what was in the leaking pipe and sent samples to a lab for analysis. My guess: bilge water from a tanker.

Local beaches, shoreline, and parks were closed in precaution. Contra Costa Health Department issued a public health advisory for residents of Richmond, North Richmond and San Pablo. One local resident called it "a necessary evil." Really?

Despite best efforts of 3 skimmers and containment booms, the sheen has spread north along the Richmond shore and into San Pablo Bay.

Name:  spill.jpg
Views: 628
Size:  576.5 KB

Not a good time to be cutting the Long Wharf navigation limits during the 3BF as a privileged few do every year.
    Last edited by sleddog; 02-11-2021 at 10:19 AM.

Yesterday early morning I drove from Capitola to Morro Bay for the day, 170 miles, with intention of paddling the back bay at high tide and possibly crossing over to the sand spit on the south side of the Harbor .75 nm distant. That plan quickly went by the board when at 9 a.m. the pre-frontal lull gave way to post-frontal instability and increasing northwest winds, 18-20 knots, grew white caps on usually placid Morro Bay waters.

Plan B was put into action: Exploring the bayshore and potential launch sites from Baywood to Cuesta-by-the-Sea, then retreat to Craig and Vicky's Los Osos boatyard for tea, lunch, and viewing progress on RC schooner mini-MAGIC under construction in the garage/shop.

I never tire of looking at this photo of MAGIC taken from starboard aft:

Name:  Magic2.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  175.5 KB

Here is Mini-MAGIC from aft yesterday:

Name:  minimagic transom.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  131.0 KB

A side profile:

Name:  minimagic paint.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  101.2 KB

Craig's attention to detail is fun to observe. The binnacle compass is a specially sourced glass marble, miniature winches look real, and bronze turnbuckles adjust. There will even be functional Dorade Vents

Name:  minimagic binnacle.jpg
Views: 564
Size:  68.7 KB Name:  minimagic winches.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  130.1 KB

Can't wait to see the new MAGIC under full sail with a bone in her teeth foaming across Morro Bay in an afternoon westerly sea breeze. Yiii Doggies!
    Last edited by sleddog; 02-16-2021 at 01:02 PM.