Page 465 of 628 FirstFirst ... 365415455461462463464465466467468469475515565 ... LastLast
Results 4,641 to 4,650 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

A pleasant visit last evening with CBC Librarian "PJ" and dauighter Lu. PJ brought me up to speed on his current RTW attempt which is ongoing at the moment as he sails a virtual CHANGABANG East to West Around the World in an attempt at breaking the Class 40 RTW record.

CHANGABANG's log can be followed on PJ's website here:https://pjsails.com/virtual-attempt/

Though not personally up to speed on this attempt, I can reveal that virtual CHANGABANG is approaching Madagascar, that Predict Wind is doing the routing with PJ using a combo of weather models but primarily the ECMWF (European), that PJ has his boat polars "detuned" to 70%, and that he has dodged at least one hurricane and cyclone by heaving to.

Happy Christmas Sled and Howard. I’m looking forward to seeing the skeeter come together. Question. Are there any beaches in California where you are allowed to dirt boat?

Pismo Beach allows dune buggies

Merry Christmas Skip....and since most of my SSS friends read this thread...

Merry Christmas to all of you, too!
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

MERRY CHRISTMAS, Alan, Stephen, Jackie, Howard, and everyone else who sails these pages. I was just out for a walk with the dogs here in Santa Cruz and saw some real weather to the northwest, the kind of ragged, black clouds that anything, including a tornado, could have come out of. Fortunately, the front, or cell, passed a few miles north. On radar, it was one of those bright orange and red areas. A quick phone call to sailing friends in Ben Lomond revealed that 10 miles inland as the crow flies, they were having heavy rain, storm force katabatic winds, and heavy hail. Be aware if you go for a drive today that there are flood advisories for the entire area. And power lines may be down.

PS Olina, a 6 year old CBC guest, shed light this morning on how Santa has his reindeer traveling so fast (650 miles/sec.) around the world: 'They're riding the Christmas Comet!" (Leonard).

Name:  Leonard.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  263.5 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 12-25-2021 at 02:28 PM.

Last edited by BobJ; 12-26-2021 at 12:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tchoupitoulas View Post
    Happy Christmas Sled and Howard. I’m looking forward to seeing the skeeter come together. Question. Are there any beaches in California where you are allowed to dirt boat?
    I am not aware of the beach vehicle rules any more since I gave up off road Motorcycles, 40 years ago.
    Most of the Land sailer racing in the world, IS, done on beaches, However in the US the racing is done on the dry lakes between Mexico and Canada.
    Where boats like the Mini Skeeters can go well over 60 mph. The larger cars see 80 and 90 MPH on a regular basis.

The current build report is; I am currently building the wood parts for the "fuselage" (HULL?). there are 56 wood parts to fabricate and Install.
    I have completed the strong back and installed TWO of those 52 parts. I have ordered and paid for ALL the materials to complete the project, and received most of them, including the sail. As soon as I have something photo worthy, I will post it

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Spruit View Post
    I am not aware of the beach vehicle rules any more since I gave up off road Motorcycles, 40 years ago.
    Most of the Land sailer racing in the world, IS, done on beaches, However in the US the racing is done on the dry lakes between Mexico and Canada.
    Where boats like the Mini Skeeters can go well over 60 mph. The larger cars see 80 and 90 MPH on a regular basis.

The current build report is; I am currently building the wood parts for the "fuselage" (HULL?). there are 56 wood parts to fabricate and Install.
    I have completed the strong back and installed TWO of those 52 parts. I have ordered and paid for ALL the materials to complete the project, and received most of them, including the sail. As soon as I have something photo worthy, I will post it
    No mention of the fuselage Okume plywood in shipment was holed by a forklift?

I was briefly involved in an attempt on a 24 hour land speed record to break the current 2,000 statue mile mark. Out and back in 10 mile loops around a lit pylon in the middle of Black Rock desert. Unfortunately, the wind died back at night, and the required 83 mph pace could not be maintained...
    During the day, the boat in the distance seemed to be sailing upside down due to a mirage.
    Last edited by sleddog; 12-26-2021 at 05:34 PM.

I was the only small craft moving this morning at Santa Cruz Harbor when a black cell appeared overhead, moving west to east, and it began to dump. Providentially, there just ahead was the 60 foot O'Neill cat, and I paddled underneath between the hulls to wait out the downpour.

Came a hail from above, "get out from under the boat!
    "I'm waiting out the rain for 5 minutes, OK?" I replied.
    "No, get out from under the boat!"

I paddled out into the deluge only to find long time friend Timmy O'Neill standing on the end tie dock, doing battle with a very large sea lion. Tim looked at me. "Skip? What are you doing under there?"
    "Waiting out the rain," I replied
    "Go back under, " Tim said, "we just don't like paddlers under the boat cause they sometimes leave graffiti."

I paddled backwards 10 feet under the cover of the O'Neill cat deck and watched Tim and the sea lion do battle. Timmy is a big boy, and the sea lion probably outweighed him by 200-300 pounds. In one hand, Tim had a hose and in the other he was pushing a dock cart as an offensive weapon.

There were some loud "arfs" and the sea lion did a flip into the Harbor, creating quite a wave. The rain stopped, I thanked Tim, and resumed my paddle, under the Harbor Bridge, and into the Upper Harbor.

All in a day at CBC.
    Name:  kayak11.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  373.7 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 12-27-2021 at 08:34 PM.

Here's CBC's Honorary tug, SLO POKE in Anacortes, WA, this morning, temp 13 degrees.

Name:  Slo Poke1.JPG
Views: 384
Size:  252.5 KB

Name:  Slo Poke2.JPG
Views: 425
Size:  218.0 KB

(photos compliments of SP's owner, Capt. Gary)