Page 227 of 628 FirstFirst ... 127177217223224225226227228229230231237277327 ... LastLast
Results 2,261 to 2,270 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

For anyone needing sail repair, sail modification, dodger repair, etc. a good source of quality craftsmanship is sailmaker to the SSS, our friend Synthia:

Synthia Petroka
    Beats Mowing The Lawn
    ~ Let Me Cover Your Assets ~

www.beatsmowingthelawn.com
    synpetroka@gmail.com
    +1 510-205-9412

Who hasn't drug anchor? Last time for me was in Hilo Inner Harbor (Radio Bay) in 10 feet of water, silty bottom. My 22 pound CQR plow pulled through the soft mud like the ploughshare it was. The solution was to stop pulling.

More dramatic was the grounding of the bulk carrier M/V OCEAN BREEZE off the coast of Chile after the anchor dragged.

Name:  Ocean Breeze.jpeg
Views: 1201
Size:  68.4 KB

Name:  ocean breeze 3.jpg
Views: 1657
Size:  150.2 KB

To my eye, it appears only one anchor was set....and doesn't the port anchor look a bit odd?

The first salvage attempt failed. Then the big boys showed up, a 50 man crew from TITAN Salvage. 10 months after the grounding, the cargo of wet grain had been ingeniously removed using aerial means. 6 giant anchors attached to 5,000 meters of 3" chain were safely afixed to the ship through dangerous surf and the pull began.

With 1,000 tons of pulling force, OCEAN BREEZE came off the beach, pretty as you please. What do you do with a ship that has been declared a "total loss?" because of "severe structural deficiencies?" After international marine ecosystem legalities were covered, TITAN towed OCEAN BREEZE 46 miles to sea and sank it. TITAN's next job? Get the wrecked cruise ship COSTA CONCORDIA off the Italian island.
    Last edited by sleddog; 09-28-2017 at 09:04 AM.

A happier ending for "California Condor" who dragged shore at Drakes Bay in this year's OYRA Race.

Name:  Caiifornia Condor aground.jpg
Views: 1388
Size:  2.05 MB

Name:  Caiifornia Condor.jpg
Views: 1241
Size:  2.05 MB

Gosh, I knew it gets windy in Drakes Bay, but CA CONDOR rail down with just the blade up and no main sets a new standard. Thanks for the photo!

I'm on Hat Island Washington for the weekend.
    waiting for my friend to pick me up on the dock in Everett I noticed this steel dreadnought for sale.
    Apart from being the Yang to Mouton Noir's Yin, the ground tackle was what initially caught my eye.. mostly because I nearly took my head out walking past it
    Name:  IMG_3203.JPG
Views: 1041
Size:  1.94 MB

Then I went and looked at the listing... this really is a spiritual [smaller] sister to M.N., in white. I've never seen a stainless steel mast, but it makes sense on a steel hull I suppose...
    Last edited by DaveH; 09-29-2017 at 06:39 AM.

"Commissioned in 2000 with one meticulous owner for the past 16 years, Kobella was built in British Columbia of 3/16" plate steel, using the origami construction technique. Her stainless steel mast and ultra-tough systems will support voyaging to any destination."

Electronics
    VHF - Standard Horizon Eclipse
    Compass - Ritchie Helmsman HB-740
    Depthsounder
    GPS - Garmin Handheld, with NW Charts

Sails
    Genoa - 9.2 oz. Dacron, Near-new
    Battened mainsail

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...o=portgardner&

Quote Originally Posted by hodgmo View Post
    "Commissioned in 2000 with one meticulous owner for the past 16 years, Kobella was built in British Columbia of 3/16" plate steel, using the origami construction technique. Her stainless steel mast and ultra-tough systems will support voyaging to any destination."

Electronics
    VHF - Standard Horizon Eclipse
    Compass - Ritchie Helmsman HB-740
    Depthsounder
    GPS - Garmin Handheld, with NW Charts

Sails
    Genoa - 9.2 oz. Dacron, Near-new
    Battened mainsail

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...o=portgardner&
    Oh dear lord don't write that on Sailing Anarchy or there'll be a riot for the next decade.

Actually, the boat looks pretty good to me.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Albert Strange, (1855-1917) was a renowned English artist, single and double-handed sailor, and designer of over 150 classic small sailing ships, many of them of light displacement and shoal draft to take the ground of England's East Coast. His designs are still sought after, and retain a classic beauty.

Name:  Strange1.jpg
Views: 1028
Size:  63.9 KB

Name:  Strange2.jpg
Views: 1054
Size:  37.3 KB

Strange's life and designs are celebrated among connoisseurs here: http://www.albertstrange.org/

Albert Strange's largest design, now 107 years old, is the cutter TALLY HO at 48 feet LOD. TALLY HO achieved great fame by winning the third Fastnet Race in 1927 in appalling conditions that caused the retirement of 13 of 15 entries including JOLIE BRISE. http://www.yachttallyho.com/index.ph...tnet-race-1927

Name:  strange3.jpg
Views: 987
Size:  100.6 KB
    notice the foreguy on the flexible 30 foot spinnaker pole is a pair of legs!......

In 1967, TALLY HO sailed for New Zealand, chartering in the Caribbean en route. In the South Pacific TALLY HO was wrecked on a reef, but pulled off and repaired. A new owner sailed her to Hawaii where she was sold to a fisherman from Oregon. She fished out of Brookings, Oregon from 1978 into the 1990s, repeatedly sailing to the South Pacific, before being abandoned in Brookings when her owner moved to Hawaii.

Until recently it looked like the abandoned TALLY HO would be broken up in Brookings when she fortuitously came under the ownership of Leo Sampson Goolden, an experienced and motivated young English sailor and ship wright.

Name:  Strange4.jpg
Views: 972
Size:  28.9 KB

Goolden had TALLY HO moved to Sequim, WA, put under cover of a well equipped work shop, and is now commencing on the ambitious rebuild, from keel up, of this historical yacht. Goolden, a talented writer, is documenting his story is here, and I hope to visit TALLY HO in the near future.
    http://sampsonboat.co.uk/
    Last edited by sleddog; 10-08-2017 at 09:41 AM.

Default Tally ho

Great, Sleddog! I think that you will enjoy the talented, low-key Leo. Thanks for giving his story a push.
    Craig
    Last edited by MAGICdreamer; 10-08-2017 at 12:19 PM. Reason: spellllling , of course

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    For anyone needing sail repair, sail modification, dodger repair, etc. a good source of quality craftsmanship is sailmaker to the SSS, our friend Synthia:

Synthia Petroka
    Beats Mowing The Lawn
    ~ Let Me Cover Your Assets ~

www.beatsmowingthelawn.com
    synpetroka@gmail.com
    +1 510-205-9412
    Synthia did a beautiful job replacing the UV strip on my jib. Thanks, Synthia!
    Attached Images Attached Images