Page 374 of 628 FirstFirst ... 274324364370371372373374375376377378384424474 ... LastLast
Results 3,731 to 3,740 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    But it didn't cause you to go over to the other side and buy a power boat, did it?
    There is only one side. Boating.

Quote Originally Posted by Intermission View Post
    There is only one side. Boating.
    +1
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

Well, the Dark Side has cookies!

And hot showers

Not surprising news this morning from our friends in Port Townsend: The 2020 Seventy48, Race2Alaska, and Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival have been postponed to next year.

Name:  Palmyra.jpg
Views: 1218
Size:  5.4 KB

Sending along to Patty and Bill of DOLFIN this cool video, #3 of 4, about exploration of the Line Islands:, Palmyra, Washington, and Fanning by the crew of VELA. Both WILDFLOWER and DOLFIN have visited Palmyra. Anyone else? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqGy82xt9EQ

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Sending along to Patty and Bill of DOLFIN this cool video, #3 of 4, about exploration of the Line Islands:, Palmyra, Washington, and Fanning by the crew of VELA. Both WILDFLOWER and DOLFIN have visited Palmyra. Anyone else?
    Thanks for the memories, Skip. When we spent two weeks there in 1988 on the way from NZ to Hawaii, the only residents were two wonderful dogs, Army and Palmyra. They would herd small sharks in the shallows and drop them at your feet to BBQ for them. At dusk on the Palmyra YC pier they would jump of and land on the backs of meandering Manta Rays just for the fun of it. We have a great photo of just that somewhere but I can't find it at the moment. In those days it was slides rather than digital photos and I have a gazillion of them.

On the passage from Samoa to Palmyra we listened to the drama on the Pacific Seafarers Net of the teenage girl who climbed a palm tree in Palmyra for drinking nuts and fell down backwards maybe 15 or twenty feet. She was paralyzed under the tree for several days while her parents and the four or five other boats in the lagoon worked the ham radio for a rescue. They had to clear a spot on the old coral runway for a chopper to land from a Japanese destroyer and take her to Christmas Island where a C-130 flew her to Honolulu. Her parents were sailing out the pass the same time we sailed in and their daughter recovered just fine and actually looked after our daughter Kelly in Ala Wai two months later. So many memories - where do you start.

Here are a few photos I could find. I remember you helped celebrate Kelly's 8th birthday in Moorea with the donuts on a string and here is a photo of her 10th birthday somewhere in the Gulf Islands BC along with Wildflower rafted up with Nimbus and Dolfin.Name:  scan0005.jpg
Views: 915
Size:  833.4 KBName:  Birthday.jpg
Views: 1096
Size:  1.10 MBName:  Rafting.jpg
Views: 1283
Size:  1.02 MB

Attachment 5322
    [I]sleddog at the 12" wheel of SS KAUAI, surfing downwind at 22 knots in 30 knots TWS off Port Orford. It took a full minute for the ship to respond to a change in helm.

Sailboats have a natural oscillation as they over the waves. Is there a similar oscillation for commercial freighters but on a different scale?

While DURA MATER was tacking in confined Delta channels, another good friend, Captain Ivo, half a world away in the Suez Canal, was steaming his giant container ship north towards the Med, also in narrow quarters.

Ivo's SAMA, at 1,312 feet and 18,800 TEU, is one of the largest ships in the world..and careful navigation is required in the Suez Canal, where the dredged channel width is often barely wider than the ship, and not much deeper.

Name:  Barzan.jpg
Views: 1141
Size:  10.0 KB

Like any good captain, despite the "Senior" Egyptian Canal pilot being in charge, Ivo does not leave his ship's bridge for the 16 hours it takes to transit the 120 mile length of the Suez Canal at the mandated 7.5 knots max speed. Things can go pear shaped quickly, as you will read below, and running a ship the size of SAMA aground would cause major Canal disruption while tugs were summoned.

Here's part of Ivo's recent letter:

During this Suez Canal transit I was very close to grounding. The Pilot was an old, tired man, and our helmsman not the brightest seaman onboard. I was fortunate that I attended last May for one week training on simulator at Ismailia, city in the middle of the Suez Canal.

So, I was just sending an email from the computer next to navigation table when I heard orders from pilot "port ten"' immediately followed by more excited voice "port twenty". I immediately realized something went wrong and moved next to helmsman and telegraph. We were running at rpm between dead slow and slow, just entering section turning some 20 degrees to port. Our draft was 15.6 m, nearly fully loaded.

I saw our bow approaching shallow water on the starboard side with rate of turn just 1 degree per minute to port. I informed pilot that helmsman will now follow my orders, moved telegraph to full ahead, ordered rudder full to port.

After that we finally started turning faster to port as necessary but our stern was at the same time
    approaching pretty fast shallow water on the starboard side. We could feel the bank effect acting where the ship's hull in proximity to shore is sucked even closer to shore..

Next I order rudder full to starboard. As soon as the stern stopped approaching the shore I moved telegraph to "slow ahead" in order not to speed up too much. With the ship like loaded SAMA you are asking for trouble in Suez in case the speed reaches some 12 knots. As soon as you move from the center of canal you feel the bow or stern, whichever is closer to shore, is sucked to the side. Of course reducing of speed reduces also maneuverability.

Our bow started to be sucked to port side shore no matter the rudder was all the time at hard starboard. Again moved telegraph to "full ahead" and when bow started to move to starboard reduced to "slow ahead' and rudder full to port. After that we stabilized our movement more or less in the middle of the Canal, slowly turning to port as we needed.

The pilot told me half an hour before that incident that he is "the senior SC pilot that I can go to take a rest in my cabin" ... Luckily I know those 'professionals' and don't leave the bridge during the whole SC transit. If I was not on the bridge in that situation I'm 100% sure we would run aground. Well, we managed to avoid the accident and saved at the same time some cigarettes as I didn't give the pilot anything as a tip. And believe or not, he was not even surprised :-).

Name:  Suez Canal.jpg
Views: 1113
Size:  198.5 KB
    (The shallow 20 degree turn Capt.Ivo describes above is at the lower right of the waterway, just south and to the right of the pointed tip of land.)
    Last edited by sleddog; 04-26-2020 at 10:07 AM.

Apparently recreational boating at San Diego and to Catalina still remains off limits..as does sailing in the Chesapeake off Maryland (but not Virginia) harbors. But wait, how come all those boats sailing off Annapolis?

Seems enterprising Maryland sailors found a loophole in the Shelter in Place rule that says boating for the purpose of feeding your self (fishing) is legal. So what you currently see is a heck of a lot of recreational sailors out for the afternoon with a fishing pole on their transom, and a line dragging astern....

Reminds me of the Singlehanded Farallones Race when Ed Ruszel passed WILDFLOWER while making trees in a Pt. Bonita backeddy all the while fishing for salmon off CHELONIA's stern.

Or the time Rob came surfing downwind on the afternoon's fresh trades, FEOLENA aimed at the 2008 SHTP finish line at Hanalei. "Hey Rob, congratulations!," says I.

"Nah, haven't caught a fish yet today. Think I'll keep going a while," hailed Rob, tending his lines astern.
    Last edited by sleddog; 04-27-2020 at 03:23 PM.

I saw that the 70-48 was cancelled, and the R2Ak, but not the Port Townsend Wooden Boat Show. IMHO it's a tich early to make that call, but....whatever. Ah, well.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"