Page 297 of 628 FirstFirst ... 197247287293294295296297298299300301307347397 ... LastLast
Results 2,961 to 2,970 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

You should be receiving it shortly, along with your 2019 membership cards.

For RYC.

SSS is NOT a yacht club!

Oh, that burgee! Yeah, I already got that, which should be useful when I sail over to Sausalito and seek reciprocal docking while I eat lunch at Poggio. No, I mean the highly coveted Capitola Boat Club burgee. I suspect Synthia is sewing it as I type.

Hopefully there is a cat in the design somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Oh, that burgee! Yeah, I already got that, which should be useful when I sail over to Sausalito and seek reciprocal docking while I eat lunch at Poggio. No, I mean the highly coveted Capitola Boat Club burgee. I suspect Synthia is sewing it as I type.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Gutoff View Post
    Hopefully there is a cat in the design somewhere.
    oooh. that would be purty.

I got drunk on Rendezvous once, when I was working for Spinnaker Sailing... That's my sum total experience with brigantines.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

New York Yacht Club has its model room, not available to the public.
    This thread has its model room, available to all. Bring it on..

Name:  TI.jpg
Views: 771
Size:  418.0 KB
    Legendary TICONDEROGA. Designed as a cruising boat by L. Francis Herreshoff. Fastest and prettiest of her generation. 34 foot spinnaker poles.

Name:  Ti2.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  463.2 KB
    CAT'S MEEOW Flagship of CBC
    Last edited by sleddog; 01-12-2019 at 08:34 PM.

CAT'S MEEOW is my kind of boat! Who needs more than 1 sail?

Default Not exactly a yacht model

Name:  F1B8454C-84A3-4726-AD4B-EFAD5674EA42.jpeg
Views: 732
Size:  2.86 MB
    But a family heirloom. My dad grew up in Alabama during the depression as my grandad was a chemist working in Anniston. Among many other educational projects Grandad did with his 2 sons was this model of the CSS Alabama, the famous raider in the Civil War. From 1862 to 1864 she did a lot of damage to Union shipping and commerce before being sunk in France by the Kearsarge.

They spent a lot of time researching the ship, which must have been quite a challenge in those days. They were able to find an old sailor who had at least seen her , maybe sailed on her, don’t remember. The model needs a few minor repairs but it will have to wait until I retire.

Note the innovative retractable propeller, partly responsible for her reputation as a very fast sailor.
    Name:  363E9B45-C5C6-42F6-8FB6-A84E9439FD74.jpeg
Views: 685
Size:  2.63 MB
    Another educational project... they built Lightning #204 and sailed it on lakes in Alabama and later in Ohio.
    Name:  FF58509E-2588-4105-9E3D-44D8B2F27C69.jpeg
Views: 637
Size:  100.7 KB
    Both my dad and my uncle went on to become lifelong sailors and boat owners. So I guess I can say that I come by it honestly. :-)

Tom (currently boatless)

Quote Originally Posted by Cover Craft View Post
    Name:  F1B8454C-84A3-4726-AD4B-EFAD5674EA42.jpeg
Views: 732
Size:  2.86 MB
    But a family heirloom. My dad grew up in Alabama during the depression as my grandad was a chemist working in Anniston. Among many other educational projects Grandad did with his 2 sons was this model of the CSS ALABAMAa, the famous raider in the Civil War. From 1862 to 1864 she did a lot of damage to Union shipping and commerce before being sunk in France by the KEARSARGE.)
    Tom,
    Thanks so much for sharing your stunning family heirloom model of the ALABAMA. What a ship she was, and what a history during her two year career as an expeditionary raider sinking 65 Union ships, taking 2,000 prisoners and repatriating them without loss of a single life.

ALABAMA's speed was legendary, and she could outrun and outgun about anything afloat during her 7 expeditionary raids around the World using apparent wind created by her twin steam engines combined with reduced drag of a retractable propeller and massive sail area. During 534 days at sea ALABAMA caught and boarded 450 vessels.

Name:  Alabama1.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  7.4 KB

It was only when the ALABAMA met the pursuing iron clad Union sloop of war KEARSAGE in the Battle of Cherbourg was the ALABAMA sunk. As KEARSAGE gybed to meet her opponent, ALABAMA opened fire. KEARSARGE waited patiently until the range had closed to less than 1,000 yards. According to survivors, the two ships steamed on opposite courses in seven spiraling circles, moving southwesterly with the 3-knot current, each commander trying to cross the bow of his opponent to deliver a heavy raking fire (to "Cross the T"). These life or death tactics make an America's Cup match race pre-start circling look like child's bathtub play.

The battle turned against ALABAMA due to the superior gunnery of the KEARSARGE and the deteriorated state of ALABAMA's contaminated powder and fuses. Nevertheless, an ALABAMA shot hit KEARSARGE's vulnerable stern post, the impact binding the ship's rudder badly. That shell, however, failed to explode. If it had done so, it would have seriously disabled KEARSARGE's steering, possibly sinking the warship, and ending the contest. No emergency steering in those days.

Name:  Alabama2.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  65.9 KB
    Famous painting of the Battle of Cherbourg by French artist Edouard Manet exhibited at the Philadelphia Museum of Art..

ALABAMA's too rapid rate-of-fire resulted in many of her shots going high. Little did Captain Semmes of the ALABAMA know that the KEARSARGE had been secretly ironclad by wrapping her midships hull in 120 fathoms of anchor chain, disguised with black painted coverboards, effectively protecting from shots into the KEARSARGE's wooden hull.

A little more than an hour after the first shot was fired, ALABAMA was reduced to a sinking hulk, forcing Captain Semmes to hoist a white flag of surrender and send one of his two surviving boats to KEARSARGE to ask for assistance.

As they still sing in a legendary schooner shanty, "Roll Alabama Roll." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSoG216dTnY
    Last edited by sleddog; 01-12-2019 at 08:18 PM.

The below is from Webb Chiles, attempting completion of likely his last circumnavigation.

Name:  WebbChiles.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  29.2 KB

"Webb Chiles, 77, is about to sail from Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, for Panama and San Diego, in GANNET, his ultralight Moore 24, to complete his sixth circumnavigation and her first. Since leaving San Diego in 2014, GANNET’s daily runs total 25,028 miles.

Their intended course to Panama is east of the Bahamas and through the Windward Passage between Cuba and Haiti.

Webb Chiles has never had sponsorship or shore teams. He goes to sea with no radio beyond a handheld VHF with a range of less than ten miles. He has contempt for crowd funding of other people’s dreams. Decades ago he found freedom by choosing to be independently poor. The key word is ‘independent’.

He and GANNET will depart when he sees a GRIB he likes, but no earlier than Wednesday, January 16. Once at sea he cuts ties to the land completely and receives no outside weather information. He studies the sky, the sea, and the barometer, looking for signs of change.

He hopes to reach San Diego in time to be with Carol, his wife, on her birthday in late April.

If you want to follow, GANNET’s Yellowbrick tracking page is: https://my.yb.tl/gannet

His website is: www.inthepresentsea.com

His online journal:

http://www.self-portraitinthepresent...l.blogspot.com "
    Last edited by sleddog; 01-14-2019 at 06:38 PM.