Page 314 of 628 FirstFirst ... 214264304310311312313314315316317318324364414 ... LastLast
Results 3,131 to 3,140 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Thank you, Mr. Hedgehog, for your direction to 2019 online RtR Sailing Instructions. The lat/lon of the harbor of refuge and its warm waters/dark skies is in the mail.

And thank you also to the RC and SSS race administration, including Jibeset, for the timely directions. You rock. CU out there.
    ~s
    That would be Jim Vickers, SSS race chair, and Ray Irvine of Jibeset. Ray will be on the course sailing his Catalina 34 Crews Nest, Jim will be in charge of our sailing world du jour. Thank you, gentlemen, every one of you. See you on the water.

I love your owl drawing and the glowworms are magical!
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

I'm a sucker for rescue stories, especially ones with happy endings. This one happened in the spring of 2011 on cliffs above, and around the corner from Richmond Yacht Club, in Pt. Richmond, CA.

I came around the corner from RYC to find Canal Blvd. blocked with all manner of rescue vehicles with flashing red lights. Not the usual slow RR crossing. What the heck was going on, firemen with ladders and rescuers carrying ropes?

The action seemed to be inland, behind the wastewater treatment plant. I got out of my car to watch. There was a large dog, and a sheep trapped on a narrow ledge, halfway down the 300 foot cliff. Apparently the sheep, belonging to Richmond's Vice-Mayor, who lives atop the hill, had been chased over the cliff by the dog. Both the chaser and chasee had slid down the cliff, becoming reluctant buddies after landing on the ledge.

Rescuers were rappelling down the cliff.

It took about two hours to transpire, but eventually both the dog and sheep were harnessed up and safely retrieved.

The dog's name? "Sparkle." Better yet, the sheep's name? "Peter Pan."

Ahhhh.

When the most dramatic thing in Richmond is an animal rescue, it’s a good day,” said Richmond's Vice Mayor. (The Vice Mayor keeps 3 goats and 2 sheep to graze on the vegetation, helping prevent fires..)

That's my story and I'm sticking with it. But there's a better one to come...
    Last edited by sleddog; 04-12-2019 at 08:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    That's my story and I'm sticking with it. But there's a better one to come...
    uh oh! Sleddog is in the building. What manner of mayhem will occur?

16-18 knots of fresh SW wind greeted the 20 miler Round-the-Rocks fleet off Richmond on Saturday and foulies and #3's were the order of the morning. By my count, 31 Singlehanders and 58 Doublehanders were on the challenging RtR course, made more so by a strong, minus tide, ebb reinforced by Sierra snowpack runoff.

I was crewing with Steve K.on the wood DIANNE in the geezer division of the competitive 9 boat Express-27 class, starting at 10:45 a.m. The Multi's and Singlehanders had started ahead and it soon became clear the windward end bias of the start line was an illusion as boats further down the line were first to meet and cross the "river" coming out of the South Bay, riding the choppy wind-against current tide lines bodily sideways to windward, ending up in front..

Any port tack, except to clear air, was wasted distance to Alcatraz due to the strong ebb. The lee of Alcatraz was minimal, only a few lengths of fluky air, and we rounded about 3 lengths off the Rock for the short beat to windward. Lying 3rd E-27, as soon as we could lay the Alcatraz buoy, we tacked to port, again in confused waters, heading to Harding Rock Buoy. Due to the fierce ebb, what began as a close reach to Harding ended as a run for most of the fleet. Everyone ahead overstood and spinnakers blossomed early for the run into Raccoon Straits.

As we approached Raccoon, the wind lightened to 6-10 knots and waves of racers compressed as the fleet hugged both the Angel Island and Tiburon shores to avoid the stronger current mid-channel. Initially the Angel Island shore looked advantageous as the Tiburon contingent had crossed the ebb-tidal river earlier and fell behind. But it all evened out by the time the fleet exited Raccoon, about half the fleet rounding Pt Bluff close at hand, the other half heading out towards Southampton Shoal.

Running down Raccoon Straits was exciting, as boats astern would bring up puffs and overhaul the boats ahead, making for multi-boat beam-to-beam lineups. Foulies were shed as the sun and temps warmed. At one point I heard a bow wave astern and looked back to see the beautiful yawl SURPRISE! overtaking at a rapid rate, close enough to see BobJ's new golden 1/2" spinnaker tackline. A jibe to port out of SURPRISE's considerable wind shadow seemed prudent, and we followed another deep blue boat, Hank's SERENADE, downwind towards Pt. Bluff.

The next mark, the Brothers Rocks, seemed a long way against the strong ebb. Winds continued at SW 5-10 knots as we jibed our way downwind, seeking the best wind and least current. I had my eye on the Singlehanders, and it looked like SUMMERTIME DREAM and STINK EYE were well positioned.

The sport boats, like nearby JETSTREAM, were jibing at wide angles, others like ourselves running square. Everyone was courteous, starboard tackers often giving way to port tackers to avoid forcing jibes. Running towards Castro Rocks, 4-5 boats were taking advantage of the shallow waters inside the Restricted Zone. But the SSI's are unclear on that, whether you can enter then leave legally..

No matter, everyone was enjoying a good sail, except for 3 boats that got stuck in the mud along the Richmond Shore, CONDOR being one. Passing under the Richmond Bridge, our depth sounder came into play as we followed the 8 foot contour along the shore and old docks. I could clearly hear several osprey crying in this area.

In our E-27 fleet, BOMBORA was doing the best, with SALTY HOTEL close at hand and DIANNE about 8 lengths astern. Up ahead, getting around the Brothers' 2 small islands was looking more and more like a cluster*#*! in the making, carrying the spinnaker until the last moment before turning. The ebb current was still strong, estimated 2 knots. We free flew DIANNE's spinnaker as long as possible until the wind went light and ahead, BOMBORA just to leeward and 6 boats charging up astern.

Steve, dealing with the foredeck action, glanced aft and says, "watch that rock, we're going backwards." Sure enough, there was a mossy low tide rock 10 feet to starboard and we were rapidly going in its direction, rudder first. Heart in my throat, I swung a quick jibe and we cleared....safely rounding the Brothers. It looked considerable action astern but we were too busy to see what was happening.

The last mark was Red Rock to port. The breeze had filled to a delightful 12 knots and we sailed upwind in warm SW wind, 10-12 knots, at the top end of our #1, SALTY HOTEL and BOMBORA to leeward near the Red Rock cliffs. But the race wasn't over as we were to see. Approaching the last turn at Pt. Richmond the wind went light and ahead and boats were having to tack to clear the old ferry wharf. We briefly passed BOMBORA, but Rebecca got us back, SALTY winning the E-27 Class and BOMBORA second.

It was a challenging but fun day. Huge kudos, especially to the Singlehanders, and to the RC for their dedication and quick results. Singlehanded gybing a spinnaker multiple times is no piece of cake, especially while avoiding traffic. Good going all, especially to WINGIT winning the Multis, AD LIB winning DH, and Scott on SUMMERTIME DREAM winning the Singlehanders.

And thank you to Steve K. for sharing the day aboard his beloved DIANNE.

Preliminary results posted at https://www.jibeset.net/show.php?RR=...OC=r1&TYP=html
    Last edited by sleddog; 04-15-2019 at 10:42 AM.

Running towards Castro Rocks, 4-5 boats were taking advantage of the shallow waters inside the Restricted Zone. But the SSI's are unclear on that, whether you can enter then leave legally..
    I think "a line connecting" is the key phrase.

"For reference, boats shall not pass between the Richmond Long Wharf and a line connecting buoy R “2CR” Fl R 4s marking Castro Rocks, buoy R “2” Q R (approx. 0.4 nm WSW of the Wharf), buoy G “3” Fl G 4s (approx. 0.3 nm S of the Wharf) and the Richmond shore northeast of G ”3”."

Great write-up Sled. It was good to know you were out there enjoying the day!

And yes, if you find yourself passing lots of boats, you might ask "am I that good, or am I about to find a photo of my boat on the Forum?"

Name:  Long Wharf.JPG
Views: 979
Size:  1,008.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by solosailor View Post

"For reference, boats shall not pass between the Richmond Long Wharf and a line connecting buoy R “2CR” Fl R 4s marking Castro Rocks, buoy R “2” Q R (approx. 0.4 nm WSW of the Wharf), buoy G “3” Fl G 4s (approx. 0.3 nm S of the Wharf) and the Richmond shore northeast of G ”3”."
    And this, from the 2019 NOR and SSIs:

"13. RESTRICTED AREAS
    A boat that violates any of the (following) restrictions shall retire or face protest and disqualification. It may not “unwind” to correct the violation; this modifies RRS 28.2."

Quote Originally Posted by solosailor View Post
    Hi solosailor,

IMHO, The SI's have a wording problem regarding the Long Wharf restricted zone. "Pass between the Long Wharf and a line connecting buoys XXX" is confusing and could be possibly be interpreted that entry into the zone is OK if you don't "pass between the Wharf and the line connecting." IE, you can cross over the line and leave again, but not pass through.

I know that is not the original intent of the SI's, which is to respect the USCG restricted zone around the Long Wharf. Similar to the other SI restricted zones, it is not unwindable once crossing over the line.

I believe the SI's for the Long Wharf could be reworded in one of two ways. 1) Replace "Passing Between" with "Crossing over" a line connecting the designated buoys.

2) Perhaps more to the point would be "Boats shall not enter the zone bounded by the Richmond Long Wharf on the East and North, and a line connecting buoy R “2CR” Fl R 4s marking Castro Rocks, buoy R “2” Q R (approx. 0.4 nm WSW of the Wharf), buoy G “3” Fl G 4s (approx. 0.3 nm S of the Wharf) and the Richmond shore northeast of G ”3.”

~~~~/)~~~~~

Did anyone else have difficulty rounding the Brothers? With the strong ebb and wind shadow, it was certainly not as straight forward at it appears on the chart....I would hate being swept through the 80 meter wide channel between the East Brother and West Brother and then try to figure out what to do next, hihi

Theoretically, you would have had to sail back through the channel to draw your course string tight on the right side of the marks. That would not be a pretty exercise.
    Last edited by sleddog; 04-15-2019 at 02:17 PM.

Sled & Others, I've been involved one way or another with the Richmond Long Wharf issue since 9-11. Does anyone remember the Coast Guard inflatable with the 50 caliber machine gun mounted warning boats off? Here's YRA's version of the exclusion zone from the 2010 Vallejo Race. One version of the exclusion zone required all boats to leave Red Rock to seaward gong both ways. Over the years different racing authorities with different race chairs have fiddled around with the exclusion zone wording, buoys. Someone always has a better idea.

A complaint about this YRA wording, and other similar wording and restricted zone boundaries, is they require one boat to protest another boat for violating the restricted zone, and to the best of my knowledge there hasn't been a protest. That's why Red Rock became the easy mark to stay outside of, since going West of it sort of precludes any though of hugging a tanker.

There clearly were boats inside the SSS Exclusion Zone Saturday. I was too far away to see which ones specifically, but I did make a short list of spinnaker colors to while away the time while i sat in the ebb going nowhere. Pat Broderick,

1. 7.1 RICHMOND LONG WHARF, the Richmond Wharf is restricted by a line connecting the three buoys G "3" Fl G 4s (1/3 nm south of Richmond Long Wharf), R "2" Q R (1/2 nm west of Richmond Long Wharf) and R "2CR" Fl R 4s (Castro Rock buoy) – to East. No part of a boat shall cross the imaginary line between these buoys.