Page 364 of 628 FirstFirst ... 264314354360361362363364365366367368374414464 ... LastLast
Results 3,631 to 3,640 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Hey Alan,

I retrieved a clear, plexi, 3/8" hatchboard from "QUIET VICTORY." It's yours if you want it. Measures 15" high, 21 13/16" across the top and 19" across the bottom.

If Alan doesn't want it, its free to first taker and will be in the back of my car next Saturday at RYC.

831-four7five, 02seven8
    Last edited by sleddog; 01-06-2020 at 09:35 PM.

It's always good to celebrate the maiden voyage of a new ship, no matter size or propulsion

This Monday evening on AIS, the freshly launched Matson container ship LURLINE, largest and latest flagship of the venerable company, is passing northbound, west of Monterey Bay, on her maiden voyage from the San Diego shipyard to Oakland Terminals.

It is possible some of the 2020 SHTP fleet will sight this distinctive, combo container-RoRo, ship.

Aloha, LURLINE!

Name:  Lurline3.jpg
Views: 1470
Size:  128.5 KB
    LURLINE on recent sea trials off San Diego
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by sleddog; 01-08-2020 at 10:45 AM.

Yeah, that would be the companionway board I made for the 1997 LongPac. You bet, Skip.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Name:  Tycoon.png
Views: 1486
Size:  264.0 KB

Hurricane Carol, August 31, 1954, a Category 3, was at the time one of the most destructive storms to ever hit New England.

This is 12 meter US-3, TYCOON, designed by Starling Burgess and owned by Clifford Mallory after she was driven ashore south of Boston. Mallory was a famous yachtsman and one of the founders of Mystic Seaport.

There's a story here I don't know. But if you look closely, you can see TYCOON is also on fire...The last thing standing as the hull was consumed was the mast, proudly flying the "Owner Not Aboard" flag from the starboard lower spreader..

To the north, the steeple blew off Boston's historic Old North Church ("One if by land, two if by sea..").

Name:  north church.jpg
Views: 1397
Size:  14.5 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 01-09-2020 at 09:42 PM.

I''ve heard from Nate Tuffanelli, the guy who bought that H-Boat from me. Apparently Nate sold the boat to an extremely accomplished sailor who'd been a former World Champion in the Flying Dutchman class. That gentleman passed away and the boat sat in Redwood City. I suppose this guy, who bought it for $100, says Nate...bought it from his widow or from the Port of Redwood City.

$100. Nate met up with him in Half Moon Bay and said it was obvious he had NO idea what he was doing, and Nate was surprised that he'd gotten that far. Nate put the Harkens and the windward sheeting traveler on the boat.

One wouldn't think the San Juan Islands of Washington State being a snow scene like the Bavarian Alps...
    2 feet of snow in Port Townsend...

Name:  anacortes.jpg
Views: 1385
Size:  589.6 KB

Good sailing friends live atop Mt. Dallas, highest point on San Juan Island. They grew up in Maine, so are used to such conditions in their sturdy home with a view of Victoria and Vancouver Island to the west and north, Mt. Baker to the east, and Mt. Rainer to the south. Even still, Jim just wrote:

"Weatherdogs,
    It was a bad night. We too had about a foot of snow, but the wind started picking up by early afternoon. There was snow blowing everywhere, and it was really loud outside. Our gutters were filled with ice and we had 12-18" icicles hanging off them. I knocked off all the ice I could reach with a 10' 2x4 because I didn't want the loaded up gutters ripping off the house By 10 last night our anemometer had hit 70mph. Icicles were being snapped off the gutters and smashing into the windows. It was a mess. I didn't think sleep would be easy, but I woke up this morning to a new world. Much of the snow had been blown away The decks and roof were swept clean. There were patches of green grass and 4 and 5' drifts on the lee side of rock outcrops. All windows are intact and the woodstove is happily puffing away, keeping us warm. Nasty evening tho...
    And guess what, there are, no snow plows on SJ Island at all! Shackleton would have loved it."

And here's a view at 200 feet above sea level X-country skiing to Heart Lake on Fidalgo Island.

Name:  Anacortes2.JPG
Views: 1415
Size:  1.16 MB
    Last edited by sleddog; 01-16-2020 at 11:48 AM.

A conversation today veered into a discussion of single- vs. short-handed sailing in ocean passages, and it reminded me of a nice little essay on the topic by (formerly?) Alameda-based single-hander Wayne Meretsky in Latitude 38, explaining why he likes single handing better. For example, he says:

“You just can't be fully rested trying to swap two-, three- or four-hour watches. And when you are on watch, looking at someone else's dirty dishes in the sink, laundry on the settee, or chicken scratches on the chart tends to just drive you crazy after 10, 15 or 20 days. By contrast, my crew's personal hygiene, organizational, navigational, sail trim and culinary skills are perfectly aligned! There's no discord or subtle tensions, no discussions being rehearsed while they're sleeping peacefully and I'm trying to cope with their best efforts. It always works perfectly.”

Makes perfect sense to me.

Read the rest here:
    https://www.latitude38.com/changes/C...tml#moonduster
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

I have a friend in Poulsbo who passed along a picture taken on her deck. Looked like Tahoe.

Howard Spruit and I recently completed laying new bamboo hardwood flooring at Capitola Boat Club.
    The 27 year old Berber rug and its underlayment had reached their half life. Though unseen, whispers of mould has been hinted.

The new hardwood floor planks, 5" x 6', are dense, heavy, and would never accept a nail. Even drilling is difficult. A cool thing is the "click-loc" connection, allowing the new floor to be "floated" without fasteners or adhesive. Just its weight keeps it in place. Not your mom and pop tongue and groove.

Name:  Floor2.jpg
Views: 1438
Size:  456.7 KB

Our primary tools were a nail puller for the old rug removal, a chop saw, a table saw, and an orange Fein "multimaster" oscillating saw. The later was our primary construction tool over 18 months when we built WILDFLOWER, my 22' cat.

When you visit CBC, you can bring your dog with no threat to the natural finish of the new floor. It's guaranteed for 50 years:
    Name:  three8.jpg
Views: 1316
Size:  262.7 KB

https://www.calibamboo.com/bamboo-flooring.html

Back to our regular programming.
    Last edited by sleddog; 01-21-2020 at 05:12 PM.

Very nice. Is that the Piratess room?