Page 20 of 631 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070120520 ... LastLast

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

As we crossed San Pablo Bay on Saturday, a sky writing plane was busy to the west, presumably over the City Front AC-45 races. Wow, I thought, they are honoring Stan Honey, who will be inducted into the Sailing Hall of Fame Oct. 14.

Indeed the smoke in the sky, which we were reading upside down and backwards, appeared to say "STAN HONEY." I thought this a cool way to honor Stan's contributions, but began to question my eyesight when the skywriter plane spelled out "GEICO."

It didn't take long to figure out what we were reading was "Save Money," not "Stan Honey."

Congratulations, anyway, Stan. You've earned your name in the sky.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Regarding the Pitt Special bi-plane working out with the Blue Angels yesterday. The Pitt is no ordinary plane. With 240 hp to hoist her 1200 pounds, she can climb at 3,000 feet/minute. http://www.aviataircraft.com/pitts.html I'm guessing the only SSS boat that could match that would be JETSTREAM with a JATO bottle. Daniel?
    That might be a stretch even for the mighty JETSTREAM (though not so mighty on either Vallejo leg). Perhaps if we drop the bulb and stick in a double array of JATOs.

It was very cool checking out WILDFLOWER in Vallejo. So much in so little...

Hey Skip,
    It was great to see you and the new Wildflower. What a great boat! Your touch is unmistakeable. I cried when I read about the scuttling and was thrilled to see your comeback. Had no idea you would be in Valleho. Very disappointed to hear you won't be our neighbor at Brickyard. They weren't too nice about wasting your time. I hope you can find a slip nearby.

Fair Winds,
    Larry

As some may already know, there is going to be a reunion of Santa Cruz built boats next Spring, May 24-June 2, 2013. It should be quite an event. If you own an Olson, Santa Cruz, Wilderness, WylieCat, Express, Moore, C&B, Aeolus, Hull Works, Banshee, Jester, SeaRunner, Marples, FrogCraft, WaterRat, Ballenger, or anything faintly connected to Santa Cruz designed and/or built, you will be welcomed.

To encourage participation, the Spinnaker Cup and the Windjammers will be feeder races. Wednesday will be the "Wood is Good" reunion.

If you haven't seen Bill Lee in his Merlin wizard costume, this will be the time. Mark it on your calendars.

http://madeinsantacruzraceweek.com
    Last edited by sleddog; 10-11-2012 at 12:51 PM.

25% of the fleet racing to/from Vallejo last weekend were boats built in Santa Cruz. Most of these boats hark back to the ultra light revolution and local designers George Olson, Bill Lee, Carl Schmacher, Ron Moore, and others.

Before MERLIN there was RAGTIME. Before the Santa Cruz 27 there was MAGIC. Before the Moore 24 there was GRENDEL. Influences all on the Santa Cruz theme of "Fast is Fun."

But there is a special member of the SSS fleet that was racing last weekend racing to Vallejo. This 1956 design, a 30 footer, used to plane around the Gulf of the Farallones and SF Bay back in the 60's, driving local leadmine owners crazy. It easily outran a Cal-40, and regularly did so. When George Olson saw this boat, his creative mind went into overtime, and he went home to Santa Cruz and built GRENDEL, forerunner of the Moore 24.

I'm offering a ride on WILDFLOWER to the first of you who can name this historical boat, its designer, and construction. A hint might be that when its sailplan was submitted to a local sailmaker's computer for a new spinny, the computer smoked and output "Does Not Compute."
    Last edited by sleddog; 10-11-2012 at 05:37 PM.

The Black Soo (Starbuck and Mirage)
    Van deStadt
    Plywood

... but I had no idea it was the boat that motivated Olson.

Does this mean I have to name my next boat MERLIN? No, my production-line J is hardly worthy to bear RAG's name. One of the Matson captains called on the radio one day to make sure I knew he was there. When I responded he asked if it was "THAT Ragtime." I sheepishly said "no."

BTW, some of those Matson guys raced many TransPacs in their day and get a kick out of what we're doing out there. One of the benefits of the SHTP is you get to chat with them once in awhile.
    Last edited by BobJ; 10-13-2012 at 09:19 AM.

BobJ correctly answered the question posed above. The hard chined, plywood STARBUCK is not only the most historical and influential ultra-light in the Bay Area. But likely the most successful. She won at least 6 SSS Season Championships, numerous local races, as well as the 2000 SHTP. Not bad for a woodie that is now 45 years old.

A Black Soo indeed won seven singlehanded season championships. Not to take anything away from Greg Nelsen (who won a couple more SSS seasons with OUTSIDER) but

Ben Mewes won in 2007 and 2010 with MIRAGE. MIRAGE also has the distinction of having a honeymoon spent aboard (on the way to Hawaii in the Pacific Cup).

Greg won with STARBUCK in 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002 and 2004, an amazing run. Stephen knows he has a heritage to maintain and he's working on the necessary mod's:

Attachment 246
    Last edited by BobJ; 10-13-2012 at 09:43 AM.

Boy, miss a day and you miss out on one of Skip's trivia contests! Yes, I knew the answer. In 1969 I worked with Myron Spaulding measuring boats for IOR ratings. I remember well sailmaker Don Goring's 'Starbuck.' Don already had quite a winning reputation in MORA with his Gladiator. So, it was no surprise that Don had acquired this most unusual boat. We had Don's Starbuck at Myron's for measuring and I had the opportunity to explore the boat. One feature that made quite an impression on me was the inside tiller. Down below, and well forward of the rudder post was another tiller connected with two linkages. The idea was, with the cabin windows on three sides one could steer from below in tough conditions. What a radical concept! Yes, Starbuck made a lasting impression on an aspiring naval architect.

So, Ben, did Mirage have the inside tiller before you moved the rudder?

Tom

P.S. Bob, thanks for adding the BlackCat photo. What a great concept!
    Last edited by Dazzler; 10-14-2012 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Spelling

I figured the answer was the Black Soo, but thanks Skip and Bob and Tom for filling in the history.

I've always wondered where the name Black Soo comes from. It sure doesn't sound Dutch. Anyone know?