Page 440 of 628 FirstFirst ... 340390430436437438439440441442443444450490540 ... LastLast
Results 4,391 to 4,400 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    By the end of the weekend it should be the typical 15 knots DDW for everyone. But the race for FTF and maybe overall is pretty much over.

SDK, I watch cartoons on mine.
    Things break, it's not over until ...

Like Olson 30 booms, and sometimes Westsail 32 booms?

Indeed, hence the "pretty much."

Did any of the fleet experience full moon last night? Moon rise at the cliff in front of CBC was spectacular just after dark. The "Strawberry" moon was peachy with the lights of Monterey and Pacific Grove clearly visible 22 miles across Monterey Bay. Rare to have such clear viz this time of year, what with the marine layer, fire smoke, and dry conditions with trapped particles in the atmosphere.

As we watched, Synbad pointed out Venus low in the western sky and told how on a recent delivery from Tahiti to Hono, she mistook Venus rising for an approaching ship, and spent some effort trying to radio Venus on the VHF. Marilou, Syn's cousin visiting CBC from Essex Corinthian Yacht Club in CT, correctly answered the trivia about the submarine TURTLE on display at Essex Maritime Museum and the War of 1812 when TURTLE, with her one man crew, successfully attached explosives to the British Naval blockade. As well, Douglas, intrepid sailor from Avalon, Catalina, told us stories of Coast Guard activities he had been involved with during his service.

It was time to break out Marianne's Macapuno icecream and organic blueberries when we returned to CBC from our full moon cliff walk. Rreveur, ship's dog, was exhausted by the human goings on and resumed curled position in her comfy bed on the deck. All in all, a most pleasant reunion with old friends we've not visited with in a long time. Synthia will next be seen at Hanalei Bay, piloting the SEA SQUIRREL greeting craft to meet SHTP arrivees at all times, day or night.

What did the 2021 SHTP racers most want to be greeted with upon the finish? A Mai Tai with ice cubes and a paper umbrella? No. An iced cold beer? Neg. Jackie's pineapple bundt cake? No.

What the 2021 SHTP racers most wanted at their finish was......... their hard earned SSS Singlehanded Transpac belt buckle. How Synbad will the join the belt buckle with a welcoming lei is a story for her to tell.

Name:  buckleSSS.png
Views: 462
Size:  63.7 KB

As the General, Ken Roper, once remarked, "That's one expensive belt buckle!"
    Last edited by sleddog; 06-25-2021 at 12:15 PM.

Default Yellow Brick

Quote Originally Posted by WBChristie View Post
    Thanks for all the hard work Brian...nice to see a Pelagic on Hula! I have enquired about the cost of the trackers from yellow brick, and will report back.
    I am ahead of you . Yellow Brick sends me a quote every year for tracker use. They have the added issue of having to get a commit on quantity well in advance. Had we done this year, with 1/2 the folks dropping out we would have spent nearly $800 / boat on trackers.

Some certainly did. THer was mention of heavy cloud cover but a nice display of he moon rise.

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    Make it a Google sheet. Just import your Excel, and make the link open to all.
    google sheet:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XuW...ew?usp=sharing

Quote Originally Posted by WBChristie View Post
    Were the skippers even asked? All the trackers have the ability to set intervals....
    You can set intervals - see my post about having a max interval period of four hours. Intervals doesn't solve the problem. They need to be synchronized and that isn't possible with these systems. The satellites can only handle one tracker at a time, so inherently not synched. Then, lets say the sats could handle 11 trackers in a couple minutes - pretty good right ? Well no really because some trackers won't connect and the message will be delayed. They won't connect because they are badly placed, or the boat is heeled over and the boom/mast/carbon sail is covering the antenna, or as one case we have, the tracker is connected to a poor power source. BTW - YB can have the same issue. We have used YB. They do a better job of syncing and projecting a positions. Of course their mapping is quite cool. All that said, why not take the positions, plot them, note the time diff, and move them forward with your plotting instruments ? Have fun doing it, and post the resulting plot here so we can share the result. Brian

Gary, to be clear, you vote for spending an additional $400 on entry correct ? So I wonder if those interested will be ok with about a $1500 entry fee ?

Contrary to Stan Honey's slot car lanes, assuming PERPLEXITY's tracker is reporting accurately, John has made an amazing comeback from behind and in the north, to jumping a full slot car lane to the south. He now stands in contention when the breeze begins to fill on Sunday.

Being south of 30 degrees by Sunday looks to pay dividends in days to come. However, it will be difficult to achieve for most. The most experienced routeur in the fleet has apparently followed his Expedition program track, cut the corner, and sailed into high pressure hell. Ouch.

You can bet your boomvang HULA and SEA WISDOM are watching the lack of progress of the "probes" ahead. And hope to pull an "end around" to the south. Both heavy weights will need sufficient breeze to get moving
    back into contention. But the trades are coming, 15-20, south of 30 and west of 138.

Patience, Grasshopper.

No... I was thinking about sponsoring it..... still thinking...the tracker is a big part of the experience for the families and armchair sailors.

Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    Gary, to be clear, you vote for spending an additional $400 on entry correct ? So I wonder if those interested will be ok with about a $1500 entry fee ?