Page 369 of 628 FirstFirst ... 269319359365366367368369370371372373379419469 ... LastLast
Results 3,681 to 3,690 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

That's America. I'm not sure what specifically is similar about the two other than that they were both designed to be fast and fun, with little regard to the conventional nautical thinking of their day.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmcn View Post
    That's America. I'm not sure what specifically is similar about the two other than that they were both designed to be fast and fun, with little regard to the conventional nautical thinking of their day.
    I'm sorry, Sir, but that is not the correct answer. You can try again if you wish.

Clearly, America didn't win the America's Cup first, it didn't have that name yet. This must be Columbia, which I know nothing about.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Be the first to beat DAZZLER to the singular correct answer.
    Is this a direct challenge or what? Sorry, but the boat name and a rendering was featured on another website yesterday. And yes, I know the Bill Lee connection, but I’ll leave that for someone else to reveal, unless no one does.
    Last edited by Dazzler; 03-11-2020 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Tom P.

Aha!
    The second question gave me the answer to the first. Both boats were named Magic.

I’ll always remember when the later Magic passed us in the middle of the night on an Ensenada Race (I was sailing with my Dad on his Ranger 26). We were slating along well enough to maintain steerage way and Magic was fast enough to generate enough apparent wind to actually sail. Very impressive. And formative for an impressionable young whippersnapper like me.

(I guess I’d better change my login... Cover Craft, retired. :-)

Tom K.

Great memory from Tom K. Very interesting to think about the state of ocean racing in the late 60’s/early 70’s. MORA (Midget Ocean Racing Association) was relatively popular in boats less than 30’, and many of those boats had relatively low sail area to displacements by today’s standards. Then came the Santa Cruz truly experimental boats (GRENDEL, MAGIC, and others?) that changed everything. It was a very interesting time for the evolution of yacht design and led to the development of many designs we now know as “sport boats.”
    Tom P.

Going back in the thread a bit, I was really pleased to see the photo of Duke Kahanamoku and Amelia Earhart. Thanks for sharing that!
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Quote Originally Posted by Cover Craft View Post
    Aha!
    The second question gave me the answer to the first. Both boats were named Magic.
    Tom K.
    Congrats to Tom K. winning the triple ginger snaps! Yes, the lovely schooner in question was named MAGIC and won the first America's Cup in 1870, held off Staten Island, NY. The 1870 America's Cup was the first America's Cup to be hosted in the United States, and the first "America's Cup" due to the trophy being renamed from the "100 Guineas Cup" of 1851 that the schooner AMERICA won in England.

MAGIC was skippered by her owner Franklin Osgood. The NYYC stacked the deck against the challenging English schooner CAMBRIA and had 17 schooners entered to defend the Cup.

100 years later, 1970, Bill Lee launched his famous ULDB, the 30 foot MAGIC, predecessor of the Santa Cruz 27.
    Last edited by sleddog; 03-14-2020 at 03:01 PM.

Sorry to hear from Nat and Synthia on ENVOLEE that the wind gods have not been in their favor in the ongoing San Diego to PV Race. They are on their 7th day, making 2 knots, 270 miles to go, with an ETA in PV of Sunday, two days after tomorrow's prize giving.. Not unexpectedly, they are retiring from the drift-a-thon and heading to Cabo.
    Last edited by sleddog; 03-12-2020 at 01:23 PM.

Default Ensenada Race 1971,72? Ranger 26 Walrus

Yours truly on the cabin top, Dad steering.
    I don’t remember what year Magic passed us in the night but this was the last bit of the race getting closer to Ensenada. I was astonished that my Dad sprung for the pictures!

Some of you may notice a few unusual running rigging details for a smallish boat in those days.

I just remembered that the staysail was the first sail I ever made. The first of many. Didn’t even destroy Mom’s sewing machine!

Tom K
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Cover Craft; 03-12-2020 at 09:03 PM.