Page 448 of 628 FirstFirst ... 348398438444445446447448449450451452458498548 ... LastLast
Results 4,471 to 4,480 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

The marine layer, low cloud, wind, and cool is seaward over the CBC guest dock (space available). However, on the deck just up the gangway, it is sunny, warm, and calm, perfect for napping cats. Condolences to Windward YC at Tahoe where the current AQI is >500 and you need headlights on in broad daylight to drive. Maybe we will get a report from contributor SK.

Further south, Ants checked in from the Bodfish Punting, Fishing, and Motorcycle Club where the nearby French Fire is only 15% contained and people are evacuating. Hang in there Ants!

Here at CBC, there is a new vessel, MARK TWAIN, rescued homeless from a sidewalk in Berkeley by DAZZLER. Tom cleaned her (him?) up and found she was #19 built in 1993 by Kiwi yachts. Thanks, Tom!

Lastly, Portland State University academia has advised me there is zero evidence Drake ever landed at Drakes Bay and his possible careening location is Whale Cove, just south of Depoe Bay, in Central Oregon... Its Monday, and we wish MB of Pt. Reyes Station Happy Birthday. She and CD will be PROs overlooking your finish and restart from Chimney Rock Trail at Pt. Reyes.

Name:  Kiwikayak.JPG
Views: 716
Size:  686.7 KB
    MARK TWAIN
    Last edited by sleddog; 08-26-2021 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    After doing some poking, the Transpac YC media rep answered thusly:

Hi Skip -I did not talk with them myself, but this topic came up in the latest TPYC Board call. Turns out LUCKY's plan was to use the bucket method, which they claimed they tested successfully before the race in CA, but that method proved worthless in the Molokai Channel in 30 knots of wind and 8-foot seas.

The Coast Guard consented to take them because their concern in having Ilio Point nearby as a lee shore.

TPYC may write a report about this so as to ascertain if that bucket method is reliable for these style boats.

A professional crew believed they could steer a 70 footer across an ocean towing a bucket? Who are these guys? They need to attend a SHTP Emergency Steering seminar.
    Skip, a little revelation.

I sold my storm jib...sized for a 26 foot boat...
    and my emergency rudder, which could probably handle up to a 30-footer but not much more than that...to..

insert drum roll

....the crew of a TransPac 52. Not kidding. I must have told the guy five times..."this stuff is really too small for the boat"...to which he replied "We just need it to check off the boxes".

I shook my head, almost didn't sell him the stuff, 'cause that is just stupid.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Lastly, Portland State University academia has advised me there is zero evidence Drake ever landed at Drakes Bay and his possible careening location is Whale Cove, just south of Depoe Bay, in Central Oregon...
    Here are two photos of Whale Cove, 9 miles north of Newport, OR, where Drake is purported to have landed and careened GOLDEN HIND in June/July 1579 in a "fair and good bay." As you can see, Whale Cove, diameter 200 yards, is much smaller and open to the southwest and west, than Drakes Bay on Pt. Reyes which has a width of 2.5 miles and is open only to the south.

Portland State is correct: there is no definitive evidence Drake landed on the shores of Drakes Bay and, they maintain, may have been hiding his true position from the Spanish. None of Drakes charts or logs survive, as they were handed off to Queen Elizabeth on return from his circumnavigation and subsequently disappeared.

Two photos of Whale CoveName:  Whale Cove1.jpg
Views: 816
Size:  28.3 KB Name:  Whale Cove2.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  38.8 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 08-23-2021 at 08:49 PM.

A report from Meyers, South Lake Tahoe: There is a clearing trend this morning with SW winds less then 10mph, and cooler temps, 6am 38 degrees. I anticipate that the smoke will again increase as the day warms and the wind comes up. Even at dawn, when it was the most clear, the air is smokey. By middle afternoon viability is less then 1/4 mile. Air quality is very bad.

I am packed and ready to leave here at Studio 1027. All that will go with me is boxed and ready to load in the car. If I must evacuate I'll head for Carson City.
    DIANNE, Express 27 # 0 is safe in the water at a dock in Tahoe Keys. I have moved all the sails aboard her. I have moved the boat trailer to Carson City.

The Fire Fighting agency's are doing their best and there is a number of miles and ridges between Meyers and the NE front of the fire. I am aware that even the best efforts could fail and the fire roar over Echo Summit and come into Meyers.

Cool

After doing some poking, the Transpac YC media rep answered thusly:
    TPYC may write a report about this so as to ascertain if that bucket method is reliable for these style boats.[/I]

A professional crew believed they could steer a 70 footer across an ocean towing a bucket? Who are these guys? They need to attend a SHTP Emergency Steering seminar.
    I am pleased the TPYC is giving the decisions made by the "professionals" aboard LUCKY. some further consideration.

Back in the 60s, & 70s, we "corinthian" sailors were instructed to learn to trim sails to stere without a rudder.
    then came the Wind surfers that did not have rudders.

It seems to me that "Professionals" should have these skills mastered!

Here are two photos of Whale Cove, 9 miles north of Newport, OR, where Drake is purported to have landed and careened GOLDEN HIND in June/July 1579 in a "fair and good bay." As you can see, Whale Cove, diameter 200 yards, is much smaller and open to the southwest and west, than Drakes Bay on Pt. Reyes which has a width of 2.5 miles and is open only to the south.

Portland State is correct: there is no definitive evidence Drake landed on the shores of Drakes Bay and, they maintain, may have been hiding his true position from the Spanish. None of Drakes charts or logs survive, as they were handed off to Queen Elizabeth on return from his circumnavigation and subsequently disappeared.

Two photos of Whale CoveName:  Whale Cove1.jpg
Views: 816
Size:  28.3 KB Name:  Whale Cove2.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  38.8 KB
    Though Portland State Anthropology Dept. has promoted Whale Cove, OR., as Francis Drake's likely landing place on the West Coast of N. America in 1579, I remain thoroughly unconvinced. A seaman like Drake would never have sailed his 120 foot LOA GOLDEN HIND into such a place. Whale Cove is too small, and with 3:1 scope on the anchor, GOLDEN HIND's precious rudder would be hitting the cliffs. In addition, Whale Cove is open to the SW and has no escape for an unweatherly ship like GOLDEN HIND, which could at best beam reach to windward and must gybe (wear ship) to tack. Then too, looking closely, kelp is visible in Whale Cove, indicating rocks, and the last thing Drake wanted was to lose his anchor, or hole his ship when careening. No, most certainly Whale Cove was not "Drake's Fair and Good Bay."

So where was Drake's careening spot, likely south of Whale Cove? The answer is definitive and has been revealed to at least three members of this Forum. In fact, the answer is shown on the famous Hondius map of 1589, (below).

Name:  Drake6.png
Views: 708
Size:  804.7 KB

For a bowl of Marianne's Macapuno ice cream with organic blueberries, where does the Hondius map show Drake's ship.? Hint 1: On Saturday when they enter Drakes Bay, assuming it is not dark when the fleet sails in on Leg 1, upwards of 100 pairs of eyes will sight the location where the Hondius Map was originally drawn, perhaps by Drake himself. Hint 2: The location is in Point Reyes National Seashore, but not in Drakes Bay.

To win the Macapuno, I need two correct answers: 1) what direction is up on the Hondius Map? (It is not North) 2) Where did Drake and crew land to careen and repair the leaking and foul bottom on GOLDEN HIND? (location description).

One answer won't cut the mustard.

Though I will be at the inboard end of the finish line in Drakes Bay, I will be ashore and no promises I will be able to deliver ice cream and blueberries to the winner aboard the blue kayak MARK TWAIN pictured above on post 4471.
    Last edited by sleddog; 08-26-2021 at 07:00 PM.

I think North is mostly down.
    It'd be Drake's cove in Drake's estero.
    https://www.discoveringnovaalbion.or...-hondius-inset
    Last edited by jamottep; 08-26-2021 at 07:47 PM.

Thanks for posting these!
    This map explains it all:
    Every time I have anchored in Drakes Bay I have wondered if Drake had indeed "been there"
    If someone else was on the boat, I would ask them.....no-one seemed to know. All is now revealed. Very cool.
    The Hondius map has south up.
    https://www.discoveringnovaalbion.or...ay-estero-cove
    Name:  1552360520187.jpg
Views: 602
Size:  199.7 KB

Though Portland State Anthropology Dept. has promoted Whale Cove, OR., as Francis Drake's likely landing place on the West Coast of N. America in 1579, I remain thoroughly unconvinced. A seaman like Drake would never have sailed his 120 foot LOA GOLDEN HIND into such a place. Whale Cove is too small, and with 3:1 scope on the anchor, GOLDEN HIND's precious rudder would be hitting the cliffs. In addition, Whale Cove is open to the SW and has no escape for an unweatherly ship like GOLDEN HIND, which could at best beam reach to windward and must gybe (wear ship) to tack. Then too, looking closely, kelp is visible in Whale Cove, indicating rocks, and the last thing Drake wanted was to lose his anchor, or hole his ship when careening. No, most certainly Whale Cove was not "Drake's Fair and Good Bay."

So where was Drake's careening spot, likely south of Whale Cove? The answer is definitive and has been revealed to at least three members of this Forum. In fact, the answer is shown on the famous Hondius map of 1589, (below).

Name:  Drake6.png
Views: 708
Size:  804.7 KB

For a bowl of Marianne's Macapuno ice cream with organic blueberries, where does the Hondius map show Drake's ship.? Hint 1: On Saturday when they enter Drakes Bay, assuming it is not dark when the fleet sails in on Leg 1, upwards of 100 pairs of eyes will sight the location where the Hondius Map was originally drawn, perhaps by Drake himself. Hint 2: The location is in Point Reyes National Seashore, but not in Drakes Bay.

To win the Macapuno, I need two correct answers: 1) what direction is up on the Hondius Map? (It is not North) 2) Where did Drake and crew land to careen and repair the leaking and foul bottom on GOLDEN HIND? (location description).

One answer won't cut the mustard.

Though I will be at the inboard end of the finish line in Drakes Bay, I will be ashore and no promises I will be able to deliver ice cream and blueberries to the winner aboard the blue kayak MARK TWAIN pictured above on post 4471.
    Last edited by WBChristie; 08-26-2021 at 08:18 PM.

DRAKE’S COVE

Name:  EB074D76-4D31-438C-AD03-5DEEFD66D81F.jpeg
Views: 555
Size:  338.3 KB

Looking ESE across Drake’s Cove. Rancher Bill Hall built a dam in the 1940’s across the entrance to the cove to trap the spring water for his cows. The red dot is approximately where I took the photograph September 10, 2016.
    Name:  A48C3E7F-88BE-44F6-A3BD-53AD883F860E.jpeg
Views: 559
Size:  1.45 MB

Last edited by Dazzler; 08-26-2021 at 10:36 PM.
    Tom P.

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    I think North is mostly down.
    It'd be Drake's cove in Drake's estero.
    https://www.discoveringnovaalbion.or...-hondius-inset
    Good one, PJ! Macapuno for you. Drake's Cove in Drake's Estero is the correct answer for where Drake and crew set up camp and careened their ship, and yes, the map (painting really) is aligned so north is towards the bottom. And thanks to DAZZLER for revealing the facts to me. Tom and Sue have stood on the exact spot Hondius's map was painted, overlooking Drake's Cove.

Good sailing, All. ~sleddog