Page 116 of 628 FirstFirst ... 1666106112113114115116117118119120126166216616 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,160 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

I'm still learning the rules (both racing or COLREGS), but I'm pretty sure the COLREGS rule apply outside the demarcation line(Point Bonita to Mile Rock) and then Inland Navigation Rules apply inside the bay. And racing rules are always subservient to both when it comes to traffic. Regardless, the more I get out there and experience different scenarios, the better I can understand and apply the rules. Book learning is such an oxymoron. As to racers, ahem. The first year I raced on San Francisco Bay was with a friend on a Hunter 41, a nice fat boat with a furling main and a huge fender tied off the stern because he backed into his dock and didn't feel like untying it every time. We were on a course about to be overlapped by another racer on the same course. All of their crew were staring at us as they got closer and closer. At some point -- practically just before they rode right up over that fender -- one of them yelled, "we're racing." My friend turned around and yelled, "so are we!" They took the overlap to our inside and went on their merry way, but that attitude was an eye opener. Sheez. I used to think "sailboat racing" was such an oxymoron, too. Egos happen at 7 knots! Who knew?!

Quote Originally Posted by Gamayun View Post
    one of them yelled, "we're racing." My friend turned around and yelled, "so are we!"
    I get that whenever I race outside the SSS. It's known as "lookism" - they don't see the internal lean, mean racing machine inside Dura Mater. I try to snarl back, but they usually either shake their heads at each other or (worse) laugh.

I raced actively for 20 years in one design and ocean racing, I have one rule that has kept me out of protest meetings, collisions, and even got me a few trophies.
    That rule is when I see another boat I give it a wide berth, in order to avoid collision and or going to a boring protest meeting.
    I have won more than one race because the boats in front of me were busy arguing about the rules and or crashing into each other.
    I also have heard the call "get out of the way we are racing" that remark usually gets a single finger salute as I give way.

Quote Originally Posted by H Spruit View Post
    that remark usually gets a single finger salute as I give way.
    Howard, Howard, Howard. I find it difficult to believe that you would behave in such a way.

This is an informative discussion. All I know is that all bets are off when a boat is being sailed, or raced, by a crew of cats.

Name:  cat-on-boat-600x330.jpg
Views: 1016
Size:  70.2 KBName:  kittyboat.jpg
Views: 927
Size:  62.4 KB

It has been said: "If cats could talk, they wouldn't". Those look like they're from another mold!

Quote Originally Posted by red roo View Post
    This is an informative discussion. All I know is that all bets are off when a boat is being sailed, or raced, by a crew of cats.

Name:  cat-on-boat-600x330.jpg
Views: 1016
Size:  70.2 KBName:  kittyboat.jpg
Views: 927
Size:  62.4 KB
    Seven clutches! That cat has its paws full! Do I hear it snarling "Starboard!"?

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    ... Do I hear it snarling "Starboard!"?
    More like-'Trim the main you pussy!'

Talk about a gem of a "sleeper" boat: Any seagoing kitty would like to cruise on this 26 footer. . LINDARE is a redesign of the well seasoned Haida 26, a pocket family cruiser with as much room as some 30'ers. LINDARE has a stainless steel three burner pressure kerosene stove with oven, and a pressure kerosene heater to keep the kitties warm. LINDARE also has roller furling with twin headsails for the SHTP, a self tacking headsail, and a fully battened main setup in lazy jacks.
    And the keel doesn't catch kelp or detritus.

Name:  Haida.jpg
Views: 715
Size:  326.0 KB

Meeow here:
    https://haida26.wordpress.com/
    Last edited by sleddog; 11-23-2015 at 09:51 AM.

Breaking news: Belgian police are using 200 knot hover"cats" for terrorist work during the Brussels lockdown.
    Name:  Hovercat.jpg
Views: 836
Size:  41.5 KB
    http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/23/europe...lockdown-cats/