Page 12 of 628 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112512 ... LastLast

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    I've got a question on PacCup tactics.
    Not to get too pedantic or tetchy, but this is the second time I've seen this error on an online forum in the last couple of days so I think I should speak up.

This is NOT the Pac Cup! This is the Singlehanded TransPac. Different races, different organizing authorities, different destinations in Hawaii, different crew limits. The Pac Cup starts in a week or two, I think.

Thank you, carry on.
    Max Crittenden
    SSS Commodore

It was great to meet you today sleddog and see your fine craft. It really is a remarkable cat! I was really sincerely impressed. The one that fell into the water is Cubby who is closest to sled and was screwing around. I don't know if his fur was initially buoyant but his head never went under. Yes I am carefully tire kicking, but you wouldn't believe what I ran into just a little bit after meeting you. I was walking thru one of the repair yards looking at different hulls mostly as they were dry stored and one hull caught my eye and so did the transom. The boat was dirty with no tarp or anything covering it and the paint of the name was fading, but I made it out to read "Wall Street Duck". I walked into the office and tried to ask some questions about the boat and the guy just told me it was a famous IOR boat from 15 years ago, and to google it. Well I did just that when I got back to Seattle and was pleasantly surprised that it was famous mostly around SF bay, but that it was designed by my all time favorite designer Carl Schumacher in about 1981. So, somewhat more than than 15 years, but kicking those tires revealed gold underneath. So now I've got to see if I have enough guts to track down the owner for a Waaaas Up. What an incredible day!

Congrats Alex and TRUTH on their new SHTP monohull elapsed time record! Well done.

A spectacular line of squalls passed over Anacortes at 0300 this morning and brought thunder, lightning, and pouring rain. The hour long event was not mentioned in forecasts, and may have caught the NWS with their pants down.

News from home is an 18' great white shark bit a kayak just west of Capitola's beaches, near the popular surf spot of Pleasure Point. No body hurt. But shark teeth were left in the kayak's plastic hull.

WILDFLOWER sets sail tomorrow for points north in British Columbia: Nanaimo, Princess Louisa Inlet, and Desolation Sound. Our destinations will be such that we will mostly be out of Internet range. I heartily endorse anyone who wants to step in here on this Forum Thread and tell us about what you are doing, ask questions, tell a sea story or share history, or post a criticism or handy tip. I will rejoin when I have a chance, providing we don't run afoul of wild animals. It is, after all, eagle, bear, wolf, and orca country where we are headed.

http://www.skippyskip.com/2012/02/25...r-like-a-boss/

Captain Jan: can you share some of your Duck driving stories? Howard: what's going on at Santa Cruz Harbor? Bob: How is RAGTIME and the Solent performing? And if there is anyone in Hanalei reading this, give us the real poop on how our Boys did in the SHTP. Most definitely everyone needs to be there to greet the General on his finish. Amazing.

And DARWIND. While most everyone else is puking and getting their sea legs early on in the SHTP, Tom is catching and cleaning fish, doctoring a possible fractured leg, and taking celestial star shots so he can compete for the Navigator's Trophy. Tom Watson: someday I hope to meet you and shake your hand.

Onward.
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-09-2012 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Critter View Post
    Not to get too pedantic or tetchy, but this is the second time I've seen this error on an online forum in the last couple of days so I think I should speak up.

This is NOT the Pac Cup! This is the Singlehanded TransPac. Different races, different organizing authorities, different destinations in Hawaii, different crew limits. The Pac Cup starts in a week or two, I think.

Thank you, carry on.
    Max Crittenden
    SSS Commodore
    My bad, and I know better!

I wonder if HAULBACK is home in Nanaimo or out on the oceans somewhere. If home, maybe the little cat could pay him a visit.

RAGTIME! is "all dressed up with nowhere to go." It's been a tough year family-wise and I've had to stay close to home. The boat is 15 min. away at VYC and I'm getting in regular daysails. I'd talked myself in to coming down for the SHF but realized I'd be overdue for another trip to Seal Beach - this is my life this year.
    Last edited by BobJ; 07-13-2012 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    I wonder if HAULBACK is home in Nanaimo or out on the oceans somewhere. If home, maybe the little cat could pay him a visit.

RAGTIME! is "all dressed up with nowhere to go." It's been a tough year family-wise and I've had to stay close to home. The boat is 15 min. away at VYC and I'm getting in regular daysails. I'd talked myself in to coming down for the SHF but realized I'd be overdue for another trip to Seal Beach - this is my life this year.
    There is always 2014....
    Last edited by BobJ; 07-13-2012 at 11:14 AM.

I'm going to guess STARBUCK.
    24 Hours!

Lobster:
    Hi Mike! Is that you? STARBUCK? If you can remind us of the question, you might win something.
    WILDFLOWER is in Silva Bay, BC., waiting out NW wind 20 knots, to sail NW across the Straits of Georgia, to Princess Louisa Inlet.

Our trip from Anacortes has been excellent. We had SE 18-20 knots for running up Rosario Straits. Did 20 miles in a little over two hours, until the top of the 30 year old Rhodes 19 spinnaker came off and the center peeled like a banana down the leaches. Oh, well, we still have Morgan's Moore 24 spinny in the focs'l.

Annette Cove, the first night, was pretty and quiet. Some horses on the beach were practicing their synchronized dance moves.

LadySmith Harbor was notable as being a recovery area for Purple Martins. 20 years ago they were down to five nesting pairs left in all BC, with local extinction likely. Nesting boxes were nailed to the LadySmith dock pilings, and now there are more than 200 pairs in that area alone. Purple Martins are like large swallows, and very vocal. We had several nesting boxes right by WILDFLOWER's spreaders, and the birds were zipping in and out.
    http://www.ladysmithmaritimesociety.ca/purple.html

Pirate Cove is small and intimate. 10-20 boats in an area the size of Ayala Cove. We found a real pirate chest out on the point.

The VHF weather forecast, in French, was for clear and warm today. Of course we had rain showers transiting Gabriola Pass! I am having some difficulty with mental conversion and translation from French: kilometers/sec for wind speed (divide by 2 for knots) hectopascuals for baro pressure......

Ahead is Canadian defense area Whiskey Golf. This area, about 10 miles x 15 miles, is rented out to foreign navies for torpedo practice. Some years back we actually had a dummy torpedo, dropped from a plane, run under the boat. Now I am more aware of Whiskey Golf's boundaries. But no where can I find when/if WG is currently "active" or "inactive."
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-13-2012 at 10:13 AM.

Sat. 7/14
    WILDFLOWER is moored at Backeddy Marina, Egmont, Skookumchuck, BC. We came a well earned 40 miles yesterday, across the Straits of Georgia. Unlike SF Bay, NW winds in the Straits blow hardest in the morning, moderating in the afternoon. We left Silva Bay at 1100, only to find 20 knots and 3 foot square waves outside. Tucked in a reef and endured a bit of bouncing until things began to normalize. Nearby was a big tri, 44', sailing about the same speed in the same direction.

The breeze gradually dropped to a pleasant 12-14 knots, and lifted so we could lay parallel to the mainland coast. We were on the inside of the lift, and dropped the big tri astern. We overhauled a sweet looking little sloop, a grey Lapworth Cal-30, looking like Rainer's boat. Cal 30's were one of Lapworth's best early designs, and our family had one, COCHISE, #3, for several years. (see attached photos taken yesterday)

Finally, about 6 p.m. we approached Pender Harbor and turned up Agamemnom Channel, the beginning of the 60 mile fiord that ends at fabled Princess Louisa Inlet. PLI is similar to Yosemite Valley, with magnificent Chatterbox Falls at the east end. http://www.princesslouisa.bc.ca/prin...ety-photos.php

One can only enter Princess Louisa through Malibu Rapids at slack water. Malibu Rapids is narrow, only a couple of lengths wide, and hidden behind rocks and trees. The current can reach 15 knots, with overfalls, at springs. Friend Gary Tracey once worked at the summer camp above Malibu Rapids, and had the unique experience of watching a pod of orcas play in Malibu Rapids, like kids at the Boardwalk.

Congrats to all Singlehanded Transpackers on a job well done! And especially to Jim Quanci and GREEN BUFFALO on their well deserved overall win.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-14-2012 at 07:39 AM.

This weekend, Yours Truly and Mrs. Alan took the skerry, "Vingilothiel" out for a row, as the skipper hasn't finished the sailing rig, yet. Launch time at 10:30 at the Redwood City Municipal ramp was followed by three hours leisurely row around Redwood Creek. I report that Sail la Vie is still floating. Yamaha 26's still look good to me, if very IOR'ish.

We rowed up the creek past a little inlet in the bank that I've never been able to get into before, so we explored that, enjoying the sight of a cormorant perched on an old piling, drying his wings. From there we scooted down past the Peninsula Marina, now closed. We took a detour into the old basin and rowed around for old times sake. Then off we went, and past Docktown to the Bair Island Aquatic Center....now completely a rowing center, which is where I bought my old Santana 3030, years ago. We spotted a mess of black necked stilts nesting on a small island/peninsula there, which necessitated a couple of very slow row-bys.

Once done with the stilts, we were off to look at Petes harbor and sigh over a Sprinta Sport, which looks like fun. We headed a few hundred yards up the slough and pushed the bow of the boat into the mud for lunch.

An hour later we slowly rowed back to the ramp to load back up on the trailer, three hours on the water....and it hardly cost me anything! Ha!
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"